Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Maybe Logan is a fish too…
    Sure. Has to start somewhere.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    And how does that affect how PoC are marginalized nowadays?
    In america or china?
    For example poc in china who are the majority group are not marginalized,but poc in america?
    That's a different story.

There are Whites who are a minority in other countries and will say they feel and are marginalized as well and there are poc in countries who are not marginalized.
    Last edited by mace11; 06-11-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    In america or china?
    For example poc in china who are the majority group are not marginalized,but poc in america?

There are Whites who are a minority in other countries will say they feel marginalized as well.
    I'm mainly talking about the USA because that's where most of these comics are based. Most of the characters in Marvel are White, so they're not marginalized there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    In america or china?

There are Whites who are a minority in other countries will say they feel marginalized as well.
    Well, I mean, as an Asian American, I can't speak for them. I can only speak as an Asian American here. And here, POC are marginalized. That's just a fact.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Well, I mean, as an Asian American, I can't speak for them. I can only speak as an Asian American here. And here, POC are marginalized. That's just a fact.
    Exactly. White people aren't a group who need extra representation in Marvel Comics, which is the main issue

Extraordinary Member

Edited above.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Okay.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Twitter isn't "everyone". Thank God.
    "Cable was right!"

As opposed to pandering to White men for decades?
    Oh no thats ok, thats just called "marketing"
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Oh no thats ok, thats just called "marketing"
    Yeah, yet when minority heroes are added to media, suddenly capitalism is evil! Not everything it's ever done, apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    From what I read she's the antagonist and not Filipino-American Cap Ari Agbayani (there are jokes running around the Fil-Am and Filipino communities because "ari" is slang for genitals, though it also means property or possession in general) who is in the backup story. Ari is short for "Arielle".

This is the Peach Momoko variant cover for #4
    I'm not Fillipino so I can't speak on how offensive it really is but if we can have Dick Grayson and Peter Parker then this should be ok.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

If Filipino people find it offensive, I don't think that should be ignored. In that Marvel should've made a bit more effort to be aware of these things.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I'm Filipino and speaking just for myself I don't find it offensive.

We can't lump together and Filipino and Filipino-American reactions though. The latter identify with their Filipino heritage in varying degrees, in part due to which generation of American citizenship they are. On the side I could ask my cousins there what they think of Ari.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Hmm...Let's get the manga perspective on this.

((Manga diving into a giant pile of cash))

Manga: Wheeee!

Me: Hey Manga, do you feel you are doing enough to.....

((Crowd begins to chant Manga's name))

Crowd:: Manga! Manga! Manga!

You know what guys, I don't think now is a good time.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

If Filipino people find it offensive, I don't think that should be ignored. In that Marvel should've made a bit more effort to be aware of these things.
    In fairness to Marvel, it's not always that cut and dry. Even within a cultural group there can be disagreements as to what is and what is not objectionable content and characterization.

In the past Marvel avoided conflicts by making POC characters as basic and generic as possible. But these days even that has risks.

I don't have any answers for Marvel. I just hope that they are either working with members of the Filipino community -- or better still, have someone from the community on the creative team. And I pray Marvel doesn't reduce the character to pro forma references to Manila or lumpia, followed by 9,000 panels of bland, generic character content that could have just as easily been used for any character, irrespective of ethnicity or background.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    In fairness to Marvel, it's not always that cut and dry. Even within a cultural group there can be disagreements as to what is and what is not objectionable content and characterization.

In the past Marvel avoided conflicts by making POC characters as basic and generic as possible. But these days even that has risks.

I don't have any answers for Marvel. I just hope that they are either working with members of the Filipino community -- or better still, have someone from the community on the creative team. And I pray Marvel doesn't reduce the character to pro forma references to Manila or lumpia, followed by 9,000 panels of bland, generic character content that could have just as easily been used for any character, irrespective of ethnicity or background.
    I can't really give any exact answers either, except maybe to involve more PoC creators behind the scenes. At least I hope Marvel learns from its mistakes