Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    1. Are they all calling themselves Captain America? Why? Why not get creative and come up with original names for them.
    2. At what point does the push for diversity become pandering?
    3. After this series...are we ever going to see any of these characters ever again?
    As opposed to pandering to White men for decades?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    As opposed to pandering to White men for decades?
    But apparently that's okay because that's the way it's always been, which is the dumbest reason in the world to keep doing anything.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    But apparently that's okay because that's the way it's always been, which is the dumbest reason in the world to keep doing anything.
    Ikr. We can't upset White dudes but somehow everyone else are the snowflakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    It's batman inc with cap. Batman went around the world and made batmans for each country. Batman uk even got a mini series. This is the same. It's nothing new.

Plus battle fever j and a super hero squad episode did it long ago also so this is nothing new at all.
    Yeah and none them were named Batman except Grayson.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    The hate is because its a vapid cash grab with "MOAR DUVRSITY!" as the rallying cry. Some of us... yeah we think the replacement characters is in general a dumb concept...

But even the people who are super into that strategy are equally throughing fits because the story is revealing itself to be "Diversity through the eyes of unstudied white Americans"

Its stereotyping + intellectually insulting in a red/white/blue egg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    These characters don't "JUST", "Represent their creators". The represent what people the people they're supposed to be representing as offensive stereotypes and illustrate a lack of due diligence.

I don't agree with you here.

Not everything should be a "cash grab", maybe the writers want to tell a story that were inspired by a friend or a family member, maybe they want to show how powerful inspirations can be, maybe they want to show how inspiring Captain America persona and the shield can be.

Also, you don't have to be part of a community to represent it or to write stories about it. I can write about black people's problems while being white and vice versa.
    Last edited by Mr_E_88; 06-10-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Also, so what if they're a cash grab? Pandering to white straight dudes has been a cash grab since the beginning of time.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Also, so what if they're a cash grab? Pandering to white straight dudes has been a cash grab since the beginning of time.
    No, that's just called "capitalism" or "Freedom!" or some other slogan.

I could see people being worried about these characters not sticking around for a while. But that's the opposite of complaining about White male heroes being erased

When I read the synopsis some time ago I could have never imagined how some people are now interpreting it. Guess getting offended is more or less a self-fulfilling prophecy these days.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Incredible Member

I'm not upset. I just anticipate the comic to be very boring and predictable.

BANNED

I'll be reading it because it's Steve, Bucky, Sam and John teaming up. But I will probably also skip the back-up features.

Extraordinary Member

This one looks interesting to me...and I really hope it is who I really hope it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    In regard to Wolverine's sexuality, I'll be happy to debate it with you

You see, Logan's romance has always been with females in the main continuity. His relationship with Jean and Mariko Yashida have been part of his character and identity.
    Logan is a lost soul who is seen as a wild animal, but inside his a kind and gentle man that only a few know about this side of his.

Having him being bisexual won't fit his character or his history and will cause more questions then answers. It won't work on him like it worked with Constantine, Iceman, or how Marvel is hinting with the Black Cat. These guys have explanations, Constantine because of his history, Black Cat because of her romantic failure with Spiderman, and it just flat out works with Iceman. With Logan, it's different, his life has always been rough and has found solitude with either Jean or Mariko.
    cyclops is bottoming for logan every night
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Incredible Member

I haven't really seen the amount of negativity/resistance to the book the OP is describing but the short answer to me behind any negativity is that there's always going to be somebody complaining about something at any given time so ignore it if you're looking forward to the book and move on.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's fake outrage. People know they can get either views or social capital claiming that "The SJWs are ruining everything!"
    Exactly this.

These characters aren't replacing anyone.

It's manufactured outrage.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    cyclops is bottoming for logan every night
    Now this is my kind of pandering!