Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question Why is everyone upset about the United States of Captain America?

Hi guys

Ever since the announcement, the United States of Captain America comic book has been getting a lot of hatred among comic book fans and comic book sites, with Screen Rant writing a sarcastic article, at least that's what I assume it was.

But why do you guys think that happened?

I, for one, don't find a problome with it. I'm stright and I'm not part of the lgbt community but I don't see any harm in it as long as it doens't harm a main character in the main continuity or the main continuity itself.

For example, a while back I read an article on CBR about 10, or maybe 9, homosexiual relationships should become canon. One of them was a relationship between Logan and Hercules. This is a terrible idea, since anyone who knows anything about comics knows that all of Logan's relationships were with women, with Jean Gray being one of the iconic rleationships in comics history. Making that relationship canon won't only defy thee character's history, but it will also won't make sense.

But this series is harmless in the grand skeem of things, it doesn't affect the Captain America legacy or Roggers himself, and it doesn't affect the main continuity.

What do you guys think?

I haven't read the issue or the online hate/criticism so I can't comment on that yet. It's more likely that a majority of people don't hate the title and it's just a vocal minority.

To your comment about Wolverine, I don't see why he couldn't be bisexual.
    The J-man

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I haven't read the issue or the online hate/criticism so I can't comment on that yet. It's more likely that a majority of people don't hate the title and it's just a vocal minority.

To your comment about Wolverine, I don't see why he couldn't be bisexual.
    In regard to Wolverine's sexuality, I'll be happy to debate it with you

You see, Logan's romance has always been with females in the main continuity. His relationship with Jean and Mariko Yashida have been part of his character and identity.
    Logan is a lost soul who is seen as a wild animal, but inside his a kind and gentle man that only a few know about this side of his.

Having him being bisexual won't fit his character or his history and will cause more questions then answers. It won't work on him like it worked with Constantine, Iceman, or how Marvel is hinting with the Black Cat. These guys have explanations, Constantine because of his history, Black Cat because of her romantic failure with Spiderman, and it just flat out works with Iceman. With Logan, it's different, his life has always been rough and has found solitude with either Jean or Mariko.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    Hi guys

Ever since the announcement, the United States of Captain America comic book has been getting a lot of hatred among comic book fans and comic book sites, with Screen Rant writing a sarcastic article, at least that's what I assume it was.

I, for one, don't find a problome with it. I'm stright and I'm not part of the lgbt community but I don't see any harm in it as long as it doens't harm a main character in the main continuity or the main continuity itself.

For example, a while back I read an article on CBR about 10, or maybe 9, homosexiual relationships should become canon. One of them was a relationship between Logan and Hercules. This is a terrible idea, since anyone who knows anything about comics knows that all of Logan's relationships were with women, with Jean Gray being one of the iconic rleationships in comics history. Making that relationship canon won't only defy thee character's history, but it will also won't make sense.

But this series is harmless in the grand skeem of things, it doesn't affect the Captain America legacy or Roggers himself, and it doesn't affect the main continuity.

What do you guys think?
    The hate is because its a vapid cash grab with "MOAR DUVRSITY!" as the rallying cry. Some of us... yeah we think the replacement characters is in general a dumb concept...

But even the people who are super into that strategy are equally throughing fits because the story is revealing itself to be "Diversity through the eyes of unstudied white Americans"

Its stereotyping + intellectually insulting in a red/white/blue egg.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

But these characters do not replace anyone. They are simply the heroes of their communities, who were inspired by Captain America for heroism - as a hero, as a symbol, as a person.
    And yes, these characters essentially represent their creators. What's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I haven't read the issue
    Nobody has - USOCA hasn't even started yet!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

You see, Logan's romance has always been with females in the main continuity. His relationship with Jean and Mariko Yashida have been part of his character and identity.
    Logan is a lost soul who is seen as a wild animal, but inside his a kind and gentle man that only a few know about this side of his.

Having him being bisexual won't fit his character or his history and will cause more questions then answers. It won't work on him like it worked with Constantine, Iceman, or how Marvel is hinting with the Black Cat. These guys have explanations, Constantine because of his history, Black Cat because of her romantic failure with Spiderman, and it just flat out works with Iceman. With Logan, it's different, his life has always been rough and has found solitude with either Jean or Mariko.
    Maybe after being alive for 300 years he wanted to try something new?

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenXXX View Post
    But these characters do not replace anyone. They are simply the heroes of their communities, who were inspired by Captain America for heroism - as a hero, as a symbol, as a person.
    And yes, these characters essentially represent their creators. What's wrong with that?
    The first part... I don't really care to much to debate about replacements with you. Its... a little irrelevant so. sure.

These characters don't "JUST", "Represent their creators". The represent what people the people they're supposed to be representing as offensive stereotypes and illustrate a lack of due diligence.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Iceman always had relationships with females too... until he didn't. Why won't it fit his character's history? It wouldn't change anything about his character, plus Logan's long lifespan is very conducive for writers to add on history. Wolverine's had many other love interests aside from Jean and Mariko.

I don't follow what you're saying with Constantine and Black Cat. There already written that way so it's okay???

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Nobody has - USOCA hasn't even started yet!
    Ah, I see
    The J-man

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Hi guys

What do you guys think?
    bigotry.

'nuff said.

Ultimate Member

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...america_2021_1

The shield has been stolen! No one understands the value of the shield like those who’ve wielded it, so Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson set out on a road trip across America to chase down the thief. But instead, they find the Captains, everyday people from all walks of life who’ve taken up the mantle of Captain America to defend their communities. And for some reason, the shield thief wants them all dead.
    That does NOT say replace Steve nor Sam. They are MEETING people inspired by Cap America. INSPIRED.

And the usual suspects that would never read the book (like every other book that they have thrown fits about) only see a gay white man, a black woman (who has garnered the most hate that the artist left Twitter), Native American and an Asian one.

It's not like we have not seen this before. Batman has met folks inspired by him. Superman has too. Wonder Woman has too. Even Aquaman.

Lesser point Young Avengers, Young Justice and New Warriors.

Invincible Member

It's fake outrage. People know they can get either views or social capital claiming that "The SJWs are ruining everything!"

Extraordinary Member

1. Are they all calling themselves Captain America? Why? Why not get creative and come up with original names for them.
    2. At what point does the push for diversity become pandering?
    3. After this series...are we ever going to see any of these characters ever again?

It's batman inc with cap. Batman went around the world and made batmans for each country. Batman uk even got a mini series. This is the same. It's nothing new.

Plus battle fever j and a super hero squad episode did it long ago also so this is nothing new at all.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    1. Are they all calling themselves Captain America? Why? Why not get creative and come up with original names for them.
    2. At what point does the push for diversity become pandering?
    3. After this series...are we ever going to see any of these characters ever again?
    They are calling themselves Captain America because they were inspired by Captain America.

In the real world there are celebrity impersonators so it is not surprising in the Marvel Universe there would be people taking up the mantel of Capain America and other heroes and impersonating them while helping their communities.

This is celebrating the 80th anniversary of Captain America by showing a few people he inspired including Sam, Bucky and John Walker who will also be in the issue.