Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Fantastic Four Remake Their History in 'Fantastic Four: Life Story' ANNOUNCED

In the tradition of SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY, writer Mark Russell and artist Sean Izaakse explore the 60-year history of the Fantastic Four.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...our-life-story

The Fantastic Four celebrates its 60th anniversary this year! The iconic Stan Lee and Jack Kirby creation, credited with kicking off Marvel Comics’ historic Silver Age, have starred in some of the most memorable comic book adventures of all time, and now their illustrious saga will be presented in a radical new way in FANTASTIC FOUR: LIFE STORY.

Written by acclaimed writer Mark Russell (Second Coming, Wonder Twins) and drawn by Sean Izaakse (FANTASTIC FOUR, AVENGERS NO ROAD HOME) , FANTASTIC FOUR: LIFE STORY will be written in the same approach as Chip Zdarsky and Mark Bagley’s hit series, SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY. FANTASTIC FOUR: LIFE STORY will tell the entire history of the Fantastic Four from beginning to end, set against the key events of the decades through which their stories were published.

FANTASTIC FOUR: LIFE STORY #1 will take place in the Swinging Sixties when Reed Richards, Ben Grimm, Sue Storm, and Johnny Storm took that fateful journey to space that changed the face of comic book storytelling forever. Against the backdrop of the Cold War and the Space Race, a terrible accident occurs that gives them great powers and a terrible secret, entangling them in Earth’s history forever as they transform into the world’s premiere Super Hero team.

“What I’ve always loved about the Fantastic Four is how it reduces the cosmic struggle of human survival to the scale of a family squabble while treating personal relationships as a matter of truly galactic importance,” Russell said. “Weaving their story and their world into our story and what’s happened in our world over the last sixty years was an important reminder to me of how smart it is to approach life like that.”

“Working on a story about Marvel’s First Family is not only an honor in itself, but what makes it even more so is being part of the team that gets to tell such a moving and heartfelt story about these iconic characters, their struggles and triumphs in a new way that draws on what has come before,” Izaakse said. "If I do my job right, this story will be one that Fantastic Four fans will remember for a long, long time.”

Mark Russel writing an era-spanning real time FF series? Should be interesting and topical, if nothing else.

Kind of wondering how dark this is going to get. Reed and Sue didn't end well during Zdarsky's Life Story but I don't know if Russell is going to limit himself to Zdarsky's continuity.

Looks like they're going with the take that their spacesuits end up becoming their FF costumes (why the four logo though?).

Sean Izaakse on art means this is definitely going to look gorgeous.

What's next? X-Men Life Story?

Incredible Member

My first thought is that The Great American Novel guy will be very interested in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Mark Russel writing an era-spanning real time FF series? Should be interesting and topical, if nothing else.

Kind of wondering how dark this is going to get. Reed and Sue didn't end well during Zdarsky's Life Story but I don't know if Russell is going to limit himself to Zdarsky's continuity.

Looks like they're going with the take that their spacesuits end up becoming their FF costumes (why the four logo though?).

It's not in the same continuity as Spider-Man Life Story.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I like the art, and the idea sounds fun. Telling an era spanning FF story sounds cool and I’m rather surprised this hasn’t already been done with them already.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's not in the same continuity as Spider-Man Life Story.
    I'm glad. If we get more of these (and I really hope we do), each creative team should have free reign on how they craft it instead of being restricted by their life story predecessors.

Hopefully it’s better than the Spidey one.

I'm a big FF fan but I think I'll pass.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    My first thought is that The Great American Novel guy will be very interested in this.
    LOL.

My thoughts precisely

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

This will probably make for good reading for someone. But I have to pass. Quite a bit has happened to the Marvel universe since FF #1 landed 60 years ago. If they aren't going to update the "history" at all by at the very least mentioning any of those elements, then there's no point in me reading this series. I wish them all the best, though. I used to have quite the FF comic collection as kid.

I will read it because it's FF related and from what I hear of the writer, it will have interesting elements to it. However I'm tired of FF runs and stories being so enamoured with the past. The team should be all about exploring the new and rarely doing the same thing twice, but too many writers are stuck on trying to homage the original run or whatever rub they enjoyed.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I am really looking forward to this. I loved Spiderman Life Story and Superman/Batman Generations from years ago. I love stories where the heroes age and we see them over the years but I do not know if there are more out there.

I am going to buy this and read it like 100 times.

One thing I am looking forward to. If The FF age then so does Doom. What is a Doctor Doom like after 50 60 years?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Mark Russell? Fantastic Four? Comic books? Ben Grimm? Count me in.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-04-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    This will probably make for good reading for someone. But I have to pass. Quite a bit has happened to the Marvel universe since FF #1 landed 60 years ago. If they aren't going to update the "history" at all by at the very least mentioning any of those elements, then there's no point in me reading this series. I wish them all the best, though. I used to have quite the FF comic collection as kid.
    Why is a non-canon story not touching on things outside it's focus a bad thing?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Like to see Daredevil: Life Story. Zdarsky could do it.