Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    From what I read she's the antagonist and not Filipino-American Cap Ari Agbayani (there are jokes running around the Fil-Am and Filipino communities because "ari" is slang for genitals, though it also means property or possession in general) who is in the backup story. Ari is short for "Arielle".

This is the Peach Momoko variant cover for #4
    Can't lie, love the concept, although I wish Peach put a little more effort into designing the mask.

for those too young to recall Jurassic Park
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

From what I read she's the antagonist and not Filipino-American Cap Ari Agbayani (there are jokes running around the Fil-Am and Filipino communities because "ari" is slang for genitals, though it also means property or possession in general) who is in the backup story. Ari is short for "Arielle".
    I read that the antagonist was some rich kid who was harassing her friend and because of the daddy's deep pockets the school sweeps it under the rug.

Considering she is wearing the American Flag for a mask I would think she is another Cap inspired person. Maybe more inspired by John than Steve.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

As for your question maybe it is the name itself?

Is it bad that I am at a loss for Herc/Logan the most?.... not really for the straight argument but it was already portrayed in an alternate universe anyway and portrayed in 616 it would be too weird. It makes no sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Is it bad that I am at a loss for Herc/Logan the most?.... not really for the straight argument but it was already portrayed in an alternate universe anyway and portrayed in 616 it would be too weird. It makes no sense.
    Hercules is bisexual (at least he should be when Marvel doesn't straightwash Greek mythos) while Wolverine is straight. That's my take.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

This is the Peach Momoko variant cover for #4
    Really its this. These boards are so insular and hyper-focused on yelling bigotry that they are ignorantly unaware that it
    was the NATIVE AMERICAN comics community complaining about the native character, because its literally looking like the mascots they're fighting sports companies to get rid of.
    Its the members of comics community who have origins IN the Philippines that HATE the fact that their culture is being used for a worthless cash grab.

So you know... beware the type of person trying to diminish the voices of the minority groups giving valid critique and complaint.

No its by no means "The same old racism" its disgust at HOW they're not even trying with these offerings.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Interesting interpretation.

I offer another possibility -- a devil's advocate, if you will. The sole directive of Logan's mutant physiology is to heal/survive by any means necessary. We all know that environment can drive a living creature's biology down any number of paths, with said creature adapting accordingly in order to meet its prime directive. Lastly, and most importantly, we all know how emotional well-being ties into our overall notion of "good health." It's partly why the idea that Wolverine has a malignant psychosis never really made sense...because one would assume that his brain would inevitably heal from any and all traumas and abnormalities.

Given all of the above, no, it's not completely far-fetched for someone like Wolverine to be bi-sexual. In fact, I'll go a step further and suggest that if Wolverine was eternally confined to a closed system with one other alpha male whom he could not kill or otherwise dominate, Logan would eventually experience changes in his hormonal balance that would effectively make him a female. This change would be the result of his body "healing" from the trauma caused by the biological incompatibility between the two remaining individuals. Crazy? Far-fetched??? Just ask frogs.
    Maybe Logan is a fish too…

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Really its this. These boards are so insular and hyper-focused on yelling bigotry that they are ignorantly unaware that it
    was the NATIVE AMERICAN comics community complaining about the native character, because its literally looking like the mascots they're fighting sports companies to get rid of.
    Its the members of comics community who have origins IN the Philippines that HATE the fact that their culture is being used for a worthless cash grab.

So you know... beware the type of person trying to diminish the voices of the minority groups giving valid critique and complaint.

No its by no means "The same old racism" its disgust at HOW they're not even trying with these offerings.
    Yes, YES, YESSS, it is the marginalized folks fault! They are the one's who attack and brigade creators driving them off of social media platforms! It is THEY who create tons of youtube "essays" decrying the erasure of prominent white fictional characters!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    After reading the reactions on Facebook and Twitter by both Filipinos and Fil-Ams, I see it is split between positive and negative. Some don't like the appropriation, while others like the increased presence of Filipinos in Marvel (following Agents of Atlas member Wave). But whether it will be worthless or not remains to be seen. It's not a guarantee of course that just because Ari Agbayani's story is written by Fil-Am Alyssa Wong, it will reflect positively on the Fil-Am experience; after all, she's likely basing it on her own personal experience which is not representative of all Fil-Ams. But a story can be both good and a cash grab, they're not mutually exclusive.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Companies never put money into anything if they don’t think it will ultimately make them more money.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yes, YES, YESSS, it is the marginalized folks fault! They are the one's who attack and brigade creators driving them off of social media platforms! It is THEY who create tons of youtube "essays" decrying the erasure of prominent white fictional characters!
    You're talking without listening here, my guy. You're chasing ghosts and fighting against people that aren't even relevant to this. Those guys over there are always mad, but the people who this "misrepresents" are not to be shouted down, by you cause your still spooked w/the same old boogeyman. The People that are mad ARE the marginalized folks. So stop being bombastic, please. This is a "do better" moment.

AMI'm a Fish
    Companies never put money into anything if they don’t think it will ultimately make them more money.
    Agreed. Theyre wrong. Often. Most companies dont make it long term.
    So basically sure. Nothing wrong with sjootimg theyre shot but listenimg to valid criticism help to hit the mark.

Annnnd... that all the patience I got for this one
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yeah. Gawd, why can't marginalized people just be happy being marginalized, amirite? It's not like white straight people have never been margina...

...oh wait. That's right. They never have, have they?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Yeah. Gawd, why can't marginalized people just be happy being marginalized, amirite? It's not like white straight people have never been margina...

...oh wait. That's right. They never have, have they?
    Well every group face invasions in the past and were conquered,even whites.
    Some Examples -mongolian armies invaded eastern europe and other places,spain being invaded by moors,berbers and arabs etc..etc..
    Last edited by mace11; 06-11-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Some Examples -mongolian armies invaded eastern europe and other places,spain being invaded by moors,berbers and arabs etc..etc..
    And how does that affect how PoC are marginalized nowadays?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I'll accept that. That said, I bet those Eastern Europeans were just thrilled about their marginalized status.

So if they weren't, I don't see why POC should have to be, either.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.