Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post What if Marvel Studios have the right of FF and X-Men back on 2008?

Imagine in an alternative plan where Marvel Studios have the full right of FF and X-Men back when phase 1 begin, what do you think the MCU Movies chronological order look like? Do you think it just like the orginal order or it could have some alteration plans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Imagine in an alternative plan where Marvel Studios have the full right of FF and X-Men back when phase 1 begin, what do you think the MCU Movies chronological order look like? Do you think it just like the orginal order or it could have some alteration plans.
    In 2008?

Well IM is already in theaters and they announced the Avengers Initiative in the end credits of that, and the plans to make the Hulk and Thor movies are already underway.

So The Avengers still gets made in 2012 and Phase 1 more or less will happen the same way. There might be differences and changes however like for instance in world-building and cameos but the real change will happen with Phase 2. There might also be changes in terms of stuff like Thanos being set up as the Big Bad in the Stinger of Avengers 1.

The real issue is that in 2008, the Tim Story Fantastic Four movies were still recently in theaters so Feige and others might feel that a delay was in order before they try again (the plus side is that the 2015 FF doesn't get made). What might happen is that instead of Ant-Man or Guardians they make Fantastic Four in Phase 2.

The X-Men movies is trickier. The rights going to Marvel in 2008 means no X-Men First Class, no X-Men Days of Future Past, no Logan, no Deadpool. And regardless of your feelings about Fox studios, those are movies that were successful and well liked. The real issue for Feige would be does he keep the cast of those movies or does he recast...I can see him keeping Jackman, Xavier, McKellen but recasting the rest. Or maybe he goes full reboot...but either way he'll delay doing anything until Phase 2.

Beyond that, it's hard to predict but either way the Avengers come on-screen first. With the FF and X-Men on the menu, stuff like Guardians, Ant-Man and others get delayed or don't get made. Wolverine probably shows up in the Captain America movies and talks smack to Fury, Scarlet and Pietro call Magneto "Daddy", T'Challa probably makes his debut in a Fantastic Four movie, and who knows maybe SECRET WARS and not INFINITY GAUNTLET becomes the meta-crossover of the MCU...and then after that they shift to Thanos.

The big question is do they reboot FF and the X-men or do they keep those continuities?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-10-2021 at 10:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The big question is do they reboot FF and the X-men or do they keep those continuities?
    And also keep the actors...

With the Fantastic Four, Chris Evans was originally Johnny Storm in the Tim Story movies (remember that), do they keep him as Johnny, because if so that means he never gets to be Captain America. The others in the cast, save Michael Chiklis (and Laurence Fishburne as Surfer, albeit that's a voice performance), aren't very good.

In the case of the X-Men, save for Jean and Scott, I think most of the actors in the Singer era were basically well cast. So that's less of an issue there.

Ultimate Member

This is a bit off topic but I feel like it was good they didn't have those properties. It forced them to work with heroes not well known by the ga, and I think the heroes they used were probably better for building a cinematic universe

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

With the Fantastic Four, Chris Evans was originally Johnny Storm in the Tim Story movies (remember that), do they keep him as Johnny, because if so that means he never gets to be Captain America. The others in the cast, save Michael Chiklis (and Laurence Fishburne as Surfer, albeit that's a voice performance), aren't very good.

In the case of the X-Men, save for Jean and Scott, I think most of the actors in the Singer era were basically well cast. So that's less of an issue there.
    You though Halle Berry was good as Storm? I'd take the other two

Either way Disney would probably wanna capitalize on both existing IPs. So the road to the Avengers would probably be different in phase 1. We'd still get the solo films but maybe Loki serves Galactus instead of Thanos? Or the FF fulfill the BW/Hawkeye role? Maybe Fury would pitch the Avengers as a deterrent to the X-men and FF?

There was a rumor that Fiege wanted to do a few sequels before the first Avengers film. Those were canned because of the Incredible Hulk's poor box office performance.

I think you could keep the sequels and turn them into teamups between the individual Avengers and the FF or the X-men. Just to show Disney that the shared universe gimmick is still viable.

It's fun to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    This is a bit off topic but I feel like it was good they didn't have those properties. It forced them to work with heroes not well known by the ga, and I think the heroes they used were probably better for building a cinematic universe

I thought Berry was decent but she didn't get any good material to work with till the Last Stand. There are better performers but they probably would've struggled the same.

Granted my intro to the X-men were the cartoons. Evolution is the one I remember more. So Berry's take in Last Stand matched what I already knew.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-10-2021 at 11:08 AM.

BANNED

She didn't often have the best material in the X-Men films where aside from Wolverine, Xavier, Magneto, (and much later Mystique for some reason) nobody had good material. So I don't think the problem with Storm in the movies is Halle Berry. The problem is that film-makers had no interest in Storm. With better material, I think she could have done well.

In the case of Cyclops, Marsden is miscast. Same with Famke Jansen. Again neither are bad actors or performers and both have weak material but either way they were cast not as leading players but as supporting players for the Wolverine Story. Jansen wasn't cast as Jean Grey aka the moral center of the X-Men, but as Wolverine's love interest, while Cyclops is the guy who Wolverine gets into a caveman fight with.

You need to cast performers who can measure or match Jackman as Wolverine, and not someone easily dwarfed by him.

Astonishing Member

That’s a fascinating hypothetical-question that has no real definitive answer other than they would be in the MCU by now, and Galactus would’ve taken Thanos place as the ultimate saga ending villain.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 06-10-2021 at 11:56 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    That’s a fascinating alt-question that has no real definitive answer other than they would be in the MCU by now, and Galactus would’ve taken Thanos place as the ultimate saga ending villain.
    Nah I think Apocalypse would've taken Thanos's place. Mostly because I'm not a big Galactus fan. He would work better as a one-shot villian.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-10-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Ultimate Member

Either way Disney would probably wanna capitalize on both existing IPs. So the road to the Avengers would probably be different in phase 1. We'd still get the solo films but maybe Loki serves Galactus instead of Thanos? Or the FF fulfill the BW/Hawkeye role? Maybe Fury would pitch the Avengers as a deterrent to the X-men and FF?

There was a rumor that Fiege wanted to do a few sequels before the first Avengers film. Those were canned because of the Incredible Hulk's poor box office performance.

I think you could keep the sequels and turn them into teamups between the individual Avengers and the FF or the X-men. Just to show Disney that the shared universe gimmick is still viable.

It's fun to think about.

I thought Berry was decent but she didn't get any good material to work with till the Last Stand. There are better performers but they probably would've struggled the same.

Granted my intro to the X-men were the cartoons. Evolution is the one I remember more. So Berry's take in Last Stand matched what I already knew.
    I didn't find Berry to be an appropriate casting at all. I agree the material was weak, but she never evoked much in the way of "god-like superbeing"

She didn't often have the best material in the X-Men films where aside from Wolverine, Xavier, Magneto, (and much later Mystique for some reason) nobody had good material. So I don't think the problem with Storm in the movies is Halle Berry. The problem is that film-makers had no interest in Storm. With better material, I think she could have done well.

In the case of Cyclops, Marsden is miscast. Same with Famke Jansen. Again neither are bad actors or performers and both have weak material but either way they were cast not as leading players but as supporting players for the Wolverine Story. Jansen wasn't cast as Jean Grey aka the moral center of the X-Men, but as Wolverine's love interest, while Cyclops is the guy who Wolverine gets into a caveman fight with.

You need to cast performers who can measure or match Jackman as Wolverine, and not someone easily dwarfed by him.
    Yeah, nobody really outperformed Jackman, although he did get the best material. Still, I've never been convinced Berry would've been a better Storm than Marsden or Janssen were in their roles, at least not Storm from what I've seen

Ultimate Member

Nah I think Apocalypse would've taken Thanos's place. Mostly because I'm not a big Galactus fan. He would work better as a one-shot villian.
    I don't think either would've. Thanos works because of his backstory and objective, and he can interact with other heroes. Galactus is cool but doesn't have the same overarching plot and Apocalypse is restricted to Earth

Astonishing Member

I don't think either would've. Thanos works because of his backstory and objective, and he can interact with other heroes. Galactus is cool but doesn't have the same overarching plot and Apocalypse is restricted to Earth
    Objective? The MCU changed comics Thanos. He’s no longer this gleeful, grinning mad-man trying to please the grim reaper but someone who in a twisted way see’s himself as a savior. I think you could apply the characterization template to an MCU Galactus and you’d largely be fine.

- Charles Schultz.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Plus Apocalypse rarely if ever crosses over into the rest of the MU. A lot of X-Men villains stay isolated in X-men titles. Magento for example hasn't appeared in half, or I'd say even one quarter of the different titles Doom has appeared in. Even Norman Osborn was all over the place for a while back in the Dark Reign era.

Galactus is a universal threat that could have worked had it been done with more imagination than the script Tim Story had to work with. But to tell the truth it does seem Marvel has run out of new ways to present him in any titles lately,

Astonishing Member

That doesn’t seem like a big question because with the way Fox left those franchises they have no other choice but to reboot. Especially in the case of Fantastic Four, Fox did that franchise dirty so many times that even if they were purchased by Disney Fox would would’ve had to reboot anyway.

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

They would have been like DC/Warner Brothers with Batman and just continue making X-Men, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four movies. I doubt we would have seen any Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Eternals, Infinity War, etc.

Marvel didn't need Iron Man to be made into a movie and risked it, but it was Disney that came along and funded the MCU because like with Star Wars, they weren't going to buy a property to not use everything they had.

We can even make the argument that Disney didn't need the X-Men/Fantastic Four because they had the billion dollar making Avengers that was more popular than the X-Men ever were.

They finished the Avengers Saga and what movies are they going to release? The Eternals and Shang Chi. Not the X-Men and Fantastic Four. Not yet anyway.

The X-Men movies were terrible and only hold value because they were the only thing that existed besides Batman and Spider-Man at the time. Fans were begging Disney to buy the rights, which they never did. They bought Fox because they want to be a monopoly, not because of Wolverine.

I can't wait to see a decent reboot with new actors. They need to turn the page.