Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Niffleheim

There are only 36 critics reviews in comparison to 1593 audience reviews. Hmmm He-Man fans really didn't like this.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-24-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The fan response is overwhelming negative. That response is everywhere wherever I go where this show is being discussed.
    The show was review bombed, like other shows, that are deemed to WOKE, for a certain subset of ALL fandumbs these days. It's amazing how that subset wants to be pandered to, but when representation is "SHOVED DOWN THEIR THROATS" as they love to say, they attack the thing. Most people and honest youtubers who watched it, had good critiques and also loved the show.

Anyone who uses

WOKE
    LIBERAL AGENDA
    AGENDA
    I'm for Diversity
    etc... are not honest people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    There are only 36 critics reviews in comparison to 1593 audience reviews. Hmmm He-Man fans really didn't like this.
    He man fans were fine with it, it was a certain of people of a certain gender and certain political leaning, who weren't, and love to see things not white or male fail. They review bombed it.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Iatet View Post
    He man fans were fine with it, it was a certain of people of a certain gender and certain political leaning, who weren't, and love to see things not white or male fail. They review bombed it.
    That's one way to look at this I guess.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Seems like you lumping people who didn't like this show with the worst and I find that to be intelligently dishonest. I've watch two episodes of this I can see how people can dislike this show without any political bullshit getting in the way.

I was pretty little for the re-runs of the OG He-Man series, and completely missed the ball on the remake. So that's where I came from on this.

I can get Teela being pissed about not being told, and then having conflicting emotions because Adam died (really, I'm surprised with the amount of actual death in this series compared to the OG). But promptly hating everything magic is...

As for Adam coming back; considering Skeletor was still alive and Eternia was under an even graver threat after his death. So, his duty was not done, unlike the other heroes who accomplished what they needed to during their time.

Overall, 5 episodes is not much to go on. Particularly for only 30 minute episodes. Adam isn't dead, but he's off the board for the time being. Evil-lynn is playing the long game with Skeletor. Orko-kun was- I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying! The Sorceress and Duncan have yet to drop the bomb on Teela for whom her mother is.

They did insert some of the old, cheesey 80s humor. That was fine. But with how dark and, well, lethal it got at times, that took me by surprise.

I chose not to watch this show. So this is what walking away before the disaster hits is like?

Feels good!

(Looks at Rotten Tomatoes score)

Feels real good!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

It was....OK. The animation is good and it has some neat concepts, but it doesn't ever really push the envelope and explore these concepts. Tri-Clops techno cult IS an interesting idea, but we never delve into how it works. What is "motherboard?"Is it a supercomputer? Is it just an ideology? What exactly drives people to join this cult?
    Also the idea of journeying into an Eternian "heaven" and "underworld" is also really fascinating, but it's presented in the most basic bland way. Heaven doesn't seem all that different from regular old peaceful Eternia but with dead heroes palling about, and while I thought Tony Todd was inspired casting for the MOTU's master of fear, nothing about the character is any scarier than Skeletor. I've seen far better "deal with your worst fear" storylines with the Scarecrow in the Batman Animated Series. (Also none of the monsters were that creative, the old 80's cartoon at least gave us several Lovecraftian horrors with their designs, here we get some generic zombies and bats, no scarier or more imaginative than a grade school's Halloween decor.)

Worst of all is Teela and King Randor's attitudes though. Your friend sacrifices his life to prevent the destruction of the universe and you throw a hissy fit over his secret? What is she going to do when she learns the Sorceress is secretly her mother? Straight up join the bad guys??? It was a huge overreaction and makes Teela seem completely selfish. And King Randor is a huge dick when he fires Man-At-Arms and prevents him from inventing anything under penalty of death. His wife knew the secret as well, is he going to divorce her? Have her beheaded??? His behavior here is more fitting to an irrational tyrant than the benevolent ruler the series alludes to.

I'm glad Evil-Lyn joined back up with Skeletor because the series should have a proper female villain, and Evil-Lyn was always one of the best and most iconic. But I feel like we are just being set up for the tired and cliché trope of her secretly still on the side of the heroes and only siding with Skeletor so she protect her new best friends when the time arrives. (Speaking of which, Orko's sacrifice was also done in the most trite clichéd manner. I eyerolled hard at that scene.)

5/10, if the second half heavily features Skeletor (come on, he was always the real star of the show) maybe it will be more enjoyable. (Also Clawful! It's cruel to tease us with a Clawful appearance and not deliver the goods!) But so far it's all style and very little substance, the 200X series is still the best revision of MOTU, imo.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

I'm for Diversity
    I am for diversity. I'm from a racially/sexually diverse and mostly female family. I'd love to see TV and movies look more like my family's Thanksgiving table. Hell, if I'd been in charge of the show I'd make He-Man gay. I read an article where Adam's grandfather is black, which I loved because of an interview I saw in either "The Toys That Made Us" or "By The Power Of Grayskull" documentary where a black He-Man fan said part of what he liked about the character is his darker skin.

Representation is important. But so is admitting when something just isn't good. That IS honesty. Like I love "Shrill", "Atlanta", "Pen15", "Schidt's Creek", and "Frankie and Grace" but I think "Tuca and Bertie" sucks. I think it's directionless and unfunny.

Again, I watched 15 minutes of this show and was like "Wow. This is lame." How is that dishonest? To me you sound in denial the people can GENUINELY dislike this show. That's dishonest. Make He-Man Latino? Or trans? Great. Make the Sorceress and Evil-Lynn a gay couple who decide to team up and fight evil? Great. But make it good. If not, I'll watch it the same time I get around to watching those remaining episodes of Netflix's "Iron Fist".

Are you telling me ONLY misogynistic incels can dislike this show? Please don't respond without answering that. Can honest, pro-diversity people dislike this show just because they think it missed the mark?
    Last edited by edpower; 07-24-2021 at 10:49 AM.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Rey was never a Mad Maxx-style, cutthroat, highest bidder, merc-for-hire that sawed open the head of a bad guy with the hand of a father, in front of his daughter no less. Teela beat up the kid, too. Don't think Rey punched kids, either.

I kind of wonder if some of the people that don't like this show just don't like women shown in powerful roles?.....
    I hate this blanket statement that is often used to automatically discredit any criticism of female-led properties out of hand.

While I'm not a huge Masters of the Universe fan I'll use a hypothetical example of a franchise of which I am a fan -

If in the next Sailor Moon series out of left field Tuxedo Mask became the main character after Sailor Moon was "killed"/depowered along with one or more of the Scouts I'd be angry. I'd feel I was deceived if there was no indication of this in the promotional material or inkling of such in the pre-series synopsis.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    ^^ Did you have something to say about the Rotten Tomatoes scoring? If anything, I hope the disparity highlights how RT is nonsense and those numbers don't mean anything.
    Indeed, RT has been nonsense for years. Captain Marvel getting review bombed ruined the site. And yes I think CM was a clear case of review bombing this current series I don't think so if only because I'm seeing almost universal levels of hatred EVERYWHERE for this one (both online & offline). RT never recovered its credibility, IMO.

Sorry, but based on what I see I don't think this is the case. Every He Man fan I know both online and offline HATE it. Plus, all the websites where He Man fans congregate are up in arms about this. I don't think the dislike of this show can be so easily dismissed as being perpetrated solely but the "Alt-Right". With Captain Marvel, for example, the people I knew did not feel negative about it same went for most fansites only Youtube really was upset.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-24-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I watch two episodes and Teela's attitude has been a real turn off for me. I can't see myself rooting for someone who's so self absorbed.
    Completely agree. Shes so annoying. What the hell is she so pissed at really? It was a complete and total over reaction in the first place. SMG as others have said the voice just didn't match what they were trying to portray Teela as here a lot of times. I love SMG maybe she could have been a better Adora.

Triclops and the techno army ended up being just trash and a waste of screen time. What was the point?

If you were going to tell me this was going to be 'Legacy of the sorceress' Teela's story or whatever fine. I would still have been interested. But, make it good and compelling. Instead shes annoying, and you bait and switch anyway by promoting He-Man and Skeletor then jobbing them till the end in one case.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Rey was never a Mad Maxx-style, cutthroat, highest bidder, merc-for-hire that sawed open the head of a bad guy with the hand of a father, in front of his daughter no less. Teela beat up the kid, too. Don't think Rey punched kids, either.

I kind of wonder if some of the people that don't like this show just don't like women shown in powerful roles?

Because Rey has nothing on this Teela, who suffers no **** from any person. She is much more like comicbook or even Timmverse Wonder Woman, minus the naivety Diana is sometimes shown to have. Maybe she is more like Red Sonja? I dunno. I cannot think of an apt comparison at the moment. Buffy, lol?

This Teela is very strong and really nothing like Rey.

There are better critiques to be had, IMHO.
    Said kid was a robot that was trying to kill her so it isn't as hardcore as you're making it out to be.

Really, I feel like people are greatly overplaying Teela's edge here. She might be a mercenary but she is far from amoral. She barely even qualifies as an antihero. She's not that much different from Rey but Rey herself was a pretty standard heroic character (which isn't inherently a bad thing).

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Completely agree. Shes so annoying. What the hell is she so pissed at really? It was a complete and total over reaction in the first place. SMG as others have said the voice just didn't match what they were trying to portray Teela as here a lot of times. I love SMG maybe she could have been a better Adora....
    LOL, yeah, I noticed that too.

I've heard several people compare her reaction to that of a jilted spouse rather than a wronged friend. It was sort of hinted at that Teela had a crush on He Man in the original so I suppose her reaction makes sense if true.