Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    But what we're talking about isn't being done in favor of younger fans. The plot directly plays off the old series. That's my point. If you are a fan of the original, then you should have no issue getting into this.

Like if they brought in all new characters, then I could see the point about alienating old fans. But that isn't what this show is doing.
    Doing what they did in the debut episode will still alienate the old fans due to the large status quo change and the fact the marketing made it them believe it's an 80s show in 2021.

I might only read spoilers so far but I can understand why fans who are far more invested in this IP would be pissed. Why would they stick around if they are not getting what they were hoping for?

I watch this series and I enjoyed it. from the final episode, Skeletor is going to be the big bad for the second half. I also have the theory that Adam will become a cyborg in the second half. Cause I believe there will be two things that can save Adam magic or technology. I'm betting on techology.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Doing what they did in the debut episode will still alienate the old fans due to the large status quo change and the fact the marketing made it them believe it's an 80s show in 2021.

I might only read spoilers so far but I can understand why fans who are far more invested in this IP would be pissed. Why would they stick around if they are not getting what they were hoping for?
    Eh, usually I hate gate-keeping but I'd say those "fans" who are pissed at this weren't ever really fans.

And what I'm saying, again, is that it IS an 80s show in 2021. It feels a lot like the original series to me. And that opinion comes from actually watching the thing. In fact, the 80s parts are the ones that were some of the worst aspects because they were so cheesy, just like the original lol

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Eh, usually I hate gate-keeping but I'd say those "fans" who are pissed at this weren't ever really fans.
    I don't understand this logic. A fan can't dislike something that their favorite IP does?

Only caught half of the first episode, but I like what I've seen so far. I'll be watching tonight.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I don't understand this logic. A fan can't dislike something that their favorite IP does?
    This is apparently much of modern fandom now - like everything unconditionally and absolutely or be declared some sort of monster for daring to have constructive criticism. Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghostbusters and now this. Watch out for the next few weeks of articles belittling anyone who takes issue with this as all the same ‘haters’. They can’t hurt you if they’re all the extreme 40 something crybabies, right?

It's more the way it comes across, the general tone just sounds like they're people complaining for the sake of complaining. The whole "too woke" complaint shtick is the give away for me...if that's part of the criticism then I'm assuming it's more that the person is bothered by some made up culture war than the show itself and that's a whole lot of what I'm seeing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    This is apparently much of modern fandom now - like everything unconditionally and absolutely or be declared some sort of monster for daring to have constructive criticism. Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghostbusters and now this. Watch out for the next few weeks of articles belittling anyone who takes issue with this as all the same ‘haters’. They can’t hurt you if they’re all the extreme 40 something crybabies, right?
    It's not about liking unconditionally...it's about having legitimate and educated criticisms... and things like "Too much Teela, I'm out." and "WTF, they made King Grayskull black!?" aren't legitimate criticism.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I knew that bait and switch would not go over well with a lot of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I knew that bait and switch would not go over well with a lot of fans.
    It's not bait and switch...it's a development that's been a long time coming. It was teased really early on that Teela was the sorceress' daughter and yet that legacy never really went anywhere so it makes sense that in a sort of Dark Knight Returns meets He-Man type of story would finally do something with that plot thread.

It's more the way it comes across, the general tone just sounds like they're people complaining for the sake of complaining. The whole "too woke" complaint shtick is the give away for me...if that's part of the criticism then I'm assuming it's more that the person is bothered by some made up culture war than the show itself and that's a whole lot of what I'm seeing here.
    When I see woke complaints it's generally believed that whatever message a series is trying to say is coming at the expanse of the storytelling. I've watched few things where I can definitely say that was the case. I'll have to wait to see this series would legitimately fall under that. If this show does come across as very 80s then that sort of thing would be faithful to the era lol.

It was teased really early on that Teela was the sorceress' daughter ...
    It was clearly stated in by far one of my favorite episodes of the original.

Last edited by Mercury; 07-23-2021 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Yes you can. All the marketing clearly played up the titular hero and villian. And they actual show goes a completely different direction whether that changes or not in the second half that is literally bait and switch
    No, it's not. If they are in the back half of the season then, yes, they gave you what they marketed. That's not bait and switch.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    No, it's not. If they are in the back half of the season then, yes, they gave you what they marketed. That's not bait and switch.
    I know I said I was done here but I have to comment about this -

Technically you might be right (I don't think you are), but... C'mon now it is obvious the hook to bait fans in was Skeletor and He Man. Show me one place in the marketing where it shows this will be a series without the two leads. The whole damn plot leaked onto the Internet (almost word for word) yet good 'ol Kevin Smith outright lied saying the plot would not be what it is. At the very least this was a deceptive marketing campaign. I don't have a horse in this race yet even I can understand why fans are angry and feel betrayed.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-23-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."