Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    So your view is that if people don't like these recent 'breakthrough masterpieces' such as MOTU Revelation, Captain Marvel, Ghostbusters 2016, Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, etc they have to be some sort of alt-right, women haters?

There isn't the possibility "Gender has nothing to do with it. In reality, these are simply bad movies?"

The Rotten Tomato Critics are right and the majority of Fan Scores are wrong?
    If they are bad movies-why can't the alt-right women haters STOP talking about them?

Why can't they focus on OTHER things wrong with said movies.

It's funny with groups like that they only focus on ONE thing. The WOMAN or POC.

Like AnakinFlair said-the attacks on these projects started BEFORE anything got filmed. In Star Wars case it STARTED with the Black Guy and them went after Rey and Rose. Yet it was the black guy that got excluded from the final film's products.

I question why Evil Lynn is built like Schwarzenegger. Her skill set doesn't involve any kind of physicality. Teela should be muscular but evil lynn? What
    Depends on who has the final say in designs.

Part of the reason you see characters have the same build is due to animation budgets or the toys. Notice all the 80s He-Man and She Ra (and their knockoffs) had the same body molds on the show and in toys.

It was probably easier for animators to have them to have the same body mold to animate faster.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    There isn't enough of them to be used as a boogeyman.
    ...I've seen several of those kinds of comments in just this thread alone never mind the wider internet community, so let's not pretend it isn't an issue.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

"The entire first season of Masters of the Universe: Revelation is behind us,
    and since the audience fled after Part 1, the backlash for Part 2 wasn’t as bad.
    Kevin Smith not only saw that as a win, he
    shared his perspective on the fan disapproval.
    In so doing however, he inadvertently revealed just how out of touch
    he is with the audience
    , let alone how insulated he is from actual reality."

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If they are bad movies-why can't the alt-right women haters STOP talking about them?

Why can't they focus on OTHER things wrong with said movies.

It's funny with groups like that they only focus on ONE thing. The WOMAN or POC.

Like AnakinFlair said-the attacks on these projects started BEFORE anything got filmed. In Star Wars case it STARTED with the Black Guy and them went after Rey and Rose. Yet it was the black guy that got excluded from the final film's products.
    I really don't want to derail this thread so I'll just leave this last tidbit to answer your question. What Hollywood thinks they're doing has been done a LONG time ago. Female heroines have existed before. Kill Bill 1 and 2 never got this backlash. Alien and Aliens are praised as legends. When I met Lucy Lawless at a con, more than half her fans were men and when I met Linda Hamilton most of her fans were guys (She was probably my second favorite celebrity I met at the cons. Awesome person)

Its because those movies/shows focused more on telling a story. Their protagonists weren't perfect and their character growth were organic.

These new movies completely lack this stuff. There is zero accountability. Today its just "Well, if you don't like it, then you must be a supremacist or bigot." Kevin Smith and Seth Rogen blaming it on the fans.

I really don't want to derail this thread so I'll just leave this last tidbit to answer your question. What Hollywood thinks they're doing has been done a LONG time ago. Female heroines have existed before. Kill Bill 1 and 2 never got this backlash. Alien and Aliens are praised as legends. When I met Lucy Lawless at a con, more than half her fans were men and when I met Linda Hamilton most of her fans were guys (She was probably my second favorite celebrity I met at the cons. Awesome person)
    We didn't live in a society where a bunch of white guys held rallies chanting "You will not replace us" when Kill Bill and Alien were released.

Times change. Society changes. Not everything is the same as it was 20+ years ago.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Its because those movies/shows focused more on telling a story. Their protagonists weren't perfect and their character growth were organic.

These new movies completely lack this stuff. There is zero accountability. Today its just "Well, if you don't like it, then you must be a supremacist or bigot." Kevin Smith and Seth Rogen blaming it on the fans.
    You didn't really answer the question though because you and Skyvolt were discussing instances (including He-Man) where the vitriol started before people even saw the movies. So you can't trot out the old "those movies/shows focused more on telling a story" excuse for that.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-03-2021 at 08:48 AM.

BANNED

Masters of the Universe: Revelation - A Conversation with Kevin and Bear

BANNED

Masters of the Universe: Revelation - A Conversation with Kevin and Bear Part 2

Amazing Member

So why do we get certain kind of people putting bad ratings on rotten tomatoes before even being able to watch it for just one example? Or just making up stuff that is simply not true?
    And strangley enough it always happenes to a certain kind of movie or series.
    Regarding the "Its because those movies/shows focused more on telling a story. Their protagonists weren't perfect and their character growth were organic."
    Again being perfect even if it is true seems only to be a problem with not-male and or white characters. And if they are not "perfect" we would get an uproar about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn View Post
    So why do we get certain kind of people putting bad ratings on rotten tomatoes before even being able to watch it for just one example? Or just making up stuff that is simply not true?
    And strangley enough it always happenes to a certain kind of movie or series.
    Regarding the "Its because those movies/shows focused more on telling a story. Their protagonists weren't perfect and their character growth were organic."
    Again being perfect even if it is true seems only to be a problem with not-male and or white characters. And if they are not "perfect" we would get an uproar about that.
    Undoubtedly their is plenty of bigotry and anti wokeness and predetermined opinions before even viewing things.

Personally I found Captain Marvel as a film so underwhelming I cant finish it even with repeat viewings but actually think Brie Larson was by far the best part.

Ghostbusters 2016 isnt nearly as bad as people say but held up to the brilliance of the original... 2016 is a huge miss fire. Also the female cast are excelt comics and I enjoy them all in other projects. But 2021 GB was amazing and I also found the young girl spangler and podcast to be the best parts, plus paul rudd.

He-man for me after about 3 episodes in generally seems compelling though I will work through it... i have no problem with the females taking the lead or people describing muscled he man as toxic even though i totally disagree with this woke narrative. I lift a lot of weights and work in construction... having said that if kevin smith tells a well executed story i can go with it.

Saved by the bell reboot is a favorite series of mine and I eagerly awaited the latest episode... up to season 2 ep 2 right now. Huge cast. Multi cultural. Great representations. My favorite characters are lexi and daisy. But every one is outstanding.

Frankly I think of myself as a fair judge. If it clicks with me then it does. If it doesnt then it doesnt

Doesnt really matter if it has a female or woke agenda... i dont care

Though loads of people do.

People have prejudged The Batman based off trailers but hate it cause of the twilight connection.

::Looks at thread::

I see we have gotten to the "acceptance" part of admitting that this was awful. Took us long enough LOL.

1. Denial: Kevin Smith is a fanboy this is going to be awesome. This isn't going to be The Teela show.

2. Anger: Kevin Smith Lied!

3. Bargaining: If I just keep watching it will get better. Just make it to the second half. If enough of us watch it it will get a second season and then Smith will fix everything.

4. Depression: You having to watch this show LOL

5. Acceptance: This was terrible. All this great animation, voiceover talent and your time...wasted
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    ::Looks at thread::

I see we have gotten to the "acceptance" part of admitting that this was awful. Took us long enough LOL.

1. Denial: Kevin Smith is a fanboy this is going to be awesome. This isn't going to be The Teela show.

2. Anger: Kevin Smith Lied!

3. Bargaining: If I just keep watching it will get better. Just make it to the second half. If enough of us watch it it will get a second season and then Smith will fix everything.

4. Depression: You having to watch this show LOL

5. Acceptance: This was terrible. All this great animation, voiceover talent and your time...wasted
    Um, nobody's said that here except the people who already didn't like it lol

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    There isn't enough of them to be used as a boogeyman.
    I don’t know about this.

There were enough of them to review bomb major movies until some sites changed their rules. It must be noted that even before Captain Marvel a lot of minority led movies have been review bombed.

Some of these guys have massive social media followings and there are dozens of them on YouTube.

I mean, Zack Snyder had to publicly disavow one of these channels, that’s how prominent some of them have become.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    We didn't live in a society where a bunch of white guys held rallies chanting "You will not replace us" when Kill Bill and Alien were released.

Times change. Society changes. Not everything is the same as it was 20+ years ago.
    This basically.

If Kill Bill or Aliens came out today, some people will be screaming about how they are too “woke” because they have tough female protagonists.

I mean, the US looks poised to torpedo decades of female reproductive rights progress, things have really, really changed and not really for the better.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-04-2021 at 06:38 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This basically.

If Kill Bill or Aliens came out today, some people will be screaming about how they are too “woke” because they have tough female protagonists.

I mean, the US looks poised to torpedo decades of female reproductive rights progress, things have really, really changed and not really for the better.
    The biggest change between today and then will be the marketing putting the protagonists on a pedestal just because they are female.