Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I am about Kevin Smith's age. I distinctly remember watching Masters of the Universe but not really caring about it like I did Thundercats or G1 Transformers or GI Joe. Best thing about the show was the dude who voiced Skeleton.

He was hilarious.

I never saw the reboot. I just didn't care.

This was.... fine.

They added actual stakes and peril to a show where I distinctly remember the villains never, ever being able to do much of anything to the hero.

And they got me to feel bad about XXXXX dying. When I was a kid I hated that character. So they get props for that.

They even added some lore cuts while they were at it.

spoilers:
    Teela's the Sorcereress' kid but doesn't know it. Probably Man at Arms actually is her real dad. From the OG series. I imagine that's the part 2 reveal and why it's an issue that she has no use for magic.
    end of spoilers

I am personally finding all of this pretty inoffensive so far.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed, RT has been nonsense for years. Captain Marvel getting review bombed ruined the site. And yes I think CM was a clear case of review bombing this current series I don't think so if only because I'm seeing almost universal levels of hatred EVERYWHERE for this one (both online & offline). RT never recovered its credibility, IMO.
    The Captain Marvel thing was weird. Same with the folks that go to review bomb stuff.

I don’t know if that’s the case here because this new He-man series seems to be just ok. I personally didn’t like it but that’s just me.

I will say something, the anti-SJW audience have reached some concerning levels of paranoia and are straight up acting out in ways that border on criminal. Right now, there’s a huge controversy over at Reddit because a major participant in the The Last of Us 2 (a very controversial game) Reddit alleged he was getting death threats from “Girlfriend Reviews” on YouTube. Anyone that follows Girlfriend Reviews knows their content is totally a-political. Her great crime was that she liked The Last of Us 2. After some investigation, it was found out that the Redditor actually sent the death threats to himself and asked other people to attack GF Reviews. To the point that folks almost doxxed GF Reviews. And this wasn’t just her, pretty much anyone that liked The Last of Us 2 got attacked and harassed online.

Between this stuff and the Captain Marvel controversy, I’m starting to get a sense that there’s a major mental health crisis playing out in this anti-SJW community. And I don’t mean that as an insult, i sincerely believe that some young people are really struggling and are looking for a boogeyman to lay all their problems on. A youtuber made over 100 videos on Brie Larson before Captain Marvel was released….100 videos..what the heck is that??? Some of the reaction I’ve seen to stuff is totally overblown and even the most innocuous comments are treated as “attacks on the fans”. It’s like the Star Wars thing, they keep saying that Kathleen Kennedy attacked the fans when KK has kept totally silent in the face of pretty much everything.

It’s kind of worrisome some of the stuff i see online. And what’s more disgusting that social media creators are basically profiting off these people’s potential issues.

Extraordinary Member

It's beyond me how a 10 part cartoon reboot can muster outrage at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    There are only 36 critics reviews in comparison to 1593 audience reviews. Hmmm He-Man fans really didn't like this.

Almost 1600 people on an entire planet might not have liked this.

Teela should have quit the royal guard because Randor ordered her father's execution, not because Adam was keeping his double life a secret.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Teela should have quit the royal guard because Randor ordered her father's execution, not because Adam was keeping his double life a secret.
    A valid good.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Okay this I can agree with.

Astonishing Member

It would have made sense and made her more likeable. Instead she just throws an epic fit and cut everyone out of her life even Duncan.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The Captain Marvel thing was weird. Same with the folks that go to review bomb stuff.

I don’t know if that’s the case here because this new He-man series seems to be just ok. I personally didn’t like it but that’s just me.

I will say something, the anti-SJW audience have reached some concerning levels of paranoia and are straight up acting out in ways that border on criminal. Right now, there’s a huge controversy over at Reddit because a major participant in the The Last of Us 2 (a very controversial game) Reddit alleged he was getting death threats from “Girlfriend Reviews” on YouTube. Anyone that follows Girlfriend Reviews knows their content is totally a-political. Her great crime was that she liked The Last of Us 2. After some investigation, it was found out that the Redditor actually sent the death threats to himself and asked other people to attack GF Reviews. To the point that folks almost doxxed GF Reviews. And this wasn’t just her, pretty much anyone that liked The Last of Us 2 got attacked and harassed online.

Between this stuff and the Captain Marvel controversy, I’m starting to get a sense that there’s a major mental health crisis playing out in this anti-SJW community. And I don’t mean that as an insult, i sincerely believe that some young people are really struggling and are looking for a boogeyman to lay all their problems on. A youtuber made over 100 videos on Brie Larson before Captain Marvel was released….100 videos..what the heck is that??? Some of the reaction I’ve seen to stuff is totally overblown and even the most innocuous comments are treated as “attacks on the fans”. It’s like the Star Wars thing, they keep saying that Kathleen Kennedy attacked the fans when KK has kept totally silent in the face of pretty much everything.

It’s kind of worrisome some of the stuff i see online. And what’s more disgusting that social media creators are basically profiting off these people’s potential issues.
    The problem these days is that it's impossible to know what the silent majority thinks of entertainment anymore because everything is either overly angry types taking things too far or other overly angry types painting all of fandom as the former. RT is now considered worthless because we all either assume that the critics are paid off or 'pandered to' to pretend to like it or the masses are all of the 'hater' crowd and so must all be review bombers.

I think the most likely reason is that escapism - the very nature of what entertainment is for many people - is interpreted differently by everyone, and when that escapism is threatened (metaphorically or really) in the same politically charged manner as everything else in society, people get defensive. Fandoms can and are by this stage practically substitutes for a religion at this stage, and we have seen how much good AND bad that level of dedication to such things can be.

My consensus is this - be willing to discuss and debate stuff and say why you do and don't like something, but be willing to accept there will (and should) be things in your fandoms that aren't made for you, and be willing to let others be critical of what they don't like as long as it doesn't reach death threat levels of anger - and then recognize that mind set is NOT the majority of those who might have a problem with something.

Ultimately and as in all of life apparently these days, I wish those in the middle who have to put up with the extremes of fandom on either side painting all of them in the same colors would speak up and call it out more.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    The problem these days is that it's impossible to know what the silent majority thinks of entertainment anymore because everything is either overly angry types taking things too far or other overly angry types painting all of fandom as the former. RT is now considered worthless because we all either assume that the critics are paid off or 'pandered to' to pretend to like it or the masses are all of the 'hater' crowd and so must all be review bombers.

I think the most likely reason is that escapism - the very nature of what entertainment is for many people - is interpreted differently by everyone, and when that escapism is threatened (metaphorically or really) in the same politically charged manner as everything else in society, people get defensive. Fandoms can and are by this stage practically substitutes for a religion at this stage, and we have seen how much good AND bad that level of dedication to such things can be.

My consensus is this - be willing to discuss and debate stuff and say why you do and don't like something, but be willing to accept there will (and should) be things in your fandoms that aren't made for you, and be willing to let others be critical of what they don't like as long as it doesn't reach death threat levels of anger - and then recognize that mind set is NOT the majority of those who might have a problem with something.

Ultimately and as in all of life apparently these days, I wish those in the middle who have to put up with the extremes of fandom on either side painting all of them in the same colors would speak up and call it out more.
    Agreed.

It's ultimately better to discuss this stuff and avoid the attacks, hatred and bigotry. I didn't like the new Star Wars movies and that was it, i don't need to go after the creators and the people that liked them. And I shouldn't also make up stuff to portray myself as a victim (that's the part i find very disturbing).

I mean, one shouldn't define themselves by what they consume and people need to learn to let go and overlook stuff. I come from a generation where that message was drummed into our heads.

Gotta say...

Just do not see a valid grumble from the existing "Fan..." community.

Unless what it wanted was for the IP to just stay static, and pick things up.

The show hit on plenty of things worth shedding some light on, and definitely had some interesting nods to other "Genre..." IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Seems like you lumping people who didn't like this show with the worst and I find that to be intelligently dishonest. I've watch two episodes of this I can see how people can dislike this show without any political bullshit getting in the way.
    You can dislike the show fine. I didn't like every single bit of it. But when you look at the critiques vs the actual hate, you can see who was really a fan of it, versus people who needed content for Twitter and Youtube clicks. When your base hates everything not them, you have to appease the beast.

Here's one comment.

Person A: Why did Teela even have the power? Why did she glow? (Paraprhasing)
    Person B: Teela is the daughter of the Sorceress.
    Person A: It makes no sense what kinda woke nonsense. I hate retcons.

Person C(Me): In literally every iteration of Masters of the Universe, Teela is either the daughter, or the clone of the Sorceress. In some, she is the Sorceress. Since the beginning. I guess they were "Woke" when they made the series?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The fan response is overwhelming negative. That response is everywhere wherever I go where this show is being discussed.
    You're going to weird places, seems pretty positive from people I've seen.

The only people I've seen that disliked it were the people complaining about how "woke" it looked before it even came out.

I literally haven't seen a single person who wasn't complaining about Teela say they disliked it.

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    I am for diversity. I'm from a racially/sexually diverse and mostly female family. I'd love to see TV and movies look more like my family's Thanksgiving table. Hell, if I'd been in charge of the show I'd make He-Man gay. I read an article where Adam's grandfather is black, which I loved because of an interview I saw in either "The Toys That Made Us" or "By The Power Of Grayskull" documentary where a black He-Man fan said part of what he liked about the character is his darker skin.

Representation is important. But so is admitting when something just isn't good. That IS honesty. Like I love "Shrill", "Atlanta", "Pen15", "Schidt's Creek", and "Frankie and Grace" but I think "Tuca and Bertie" sucks. I think it's directionless and unfunny.

Again, I watched 15 minutes of this show and was like "Wow. This is lame." How is that dishonest? To me you sound in denial the people can GENUINELY dislike this show. That's dishonest. Make He-Man Latino? Or trans? Great. Make the Sorceress and Evil-Lynn a gay couple who decide to team up and fight evil? Great. But make it good. If not, I'll watch it the same time I get around to watching those remaining episodes of Netflix's "Iron Fist".

Are you telling me ONLY misogynistic incels can dislike this show? Please don't respond without answering that. Can honest, pro-diversity people dislike this show just because they think it missed the mark?
    It's fine if you dislike something. But from what I'm seeing online, and on Youtube (Which is also online). A lot of the comments against are dishonest dudebros. Youtube channels that people normally like, who gave this favorable reviews, are getting extremely high amounts of dislikes, because they are somehow "WOKE" now.
    Many are doing it for the clicks, that's it.

Also, I too come from a racially, sexually diverse family. But when you have people saying things about stuff being "SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT!" It's hard to take them serious. When will actual diversity be a thing, without it being "SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT!"
    Answer? It never will be for grifters who make money off of anger and hatred for change.

A lot of the people complaining only go back to the Mike Young series, and think this show is based off that.
    I explained to a person why Grayskull is black in this timeline, and they just kept referring to the Mike Young show, and I'm like this is based on the EIGHTIES 22min Cartoon toy ad show. Where Grayskull was never seen.
    They literally said. I hate PC retcons. Lol.

For one half of a season for this show, Rotten Tomatoes has 1850 user reviews (so far). The 2002-2003 Masters of the Universe show has 18 between both seasons.

Unless there's been some gigantic influx of MotU fans over the years, that's a pretty strong indicator this show was review bombed.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans