Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ah, riddle me this Batman the two characters featured most prominently in the marketing get well I won't say, gee I wonder why? Sounds bait and switch to me.

You enjoy it because I highly doubt many other fans will judging by the reaction I see on and offline. Anyhow, I'm not wasting any more of my time debating the merits (or lack thereof) of a silly show I don't watch.
    Worth pointing out...

(Though the entire article is worthwhile even though it says exactly where they are headed when things pick back up...)

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/he-...ix-1235026831/

Kevin Smith Made Netflix’s ‘Masters of the Universe: Revelation’ Specifically to Please ‘He-Man’ Fans. Some Got Mad Anyway.
    Never one to mince his words, Smith couldn’t hide his frustration with fans taking issue with a show that, at that point, they hadn’t seen yet.

“It’s been interesting, seeing who truly is a hardcore fan,” he said. “Because anybody that’s like, ‘Oh, man, there’s not enough He-Man’ or something like that, doesn’t understand the show that we based it on. There were episodes where he lost the sword and he never became He-Man. It wasn’t like He-Man always saved the day. His friends helped him. That was the fucking point of the show.”

Incredible Member

I've just seens it, and I think it's really good for what it is. Much better than the original show I watched as a kid (yeah, I'm that old!).
    Here the characters have a modicum of agency, of development and that's great.

I loved Teela of course, and her "**** you all" attitude I understand as a way to cope with grief. I have a lot of empathy for Adam and I suppose the second part will be about what makes a "Master of the Universe". Is it your power or the purity of your heart?
    I finally care for those characters, after almost 40 years. About time.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not about liking unconditionally...it's about having legitimate and educated criticisms... and things like "Too much Teela, I'm out." aren't legitimate criticism.
    I've got to ask, how is "too much of X character" not a legitimate criticism? Is it because you personally like that character?

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    It would have made sense and made her more likeable. Instead she just throws an epic fit and cut everyone out of her life even Duncan.
    I also wasn't a fan of how she chose to part with Adam when she thought they were leaving him behind. I thought they had reconciled, but she was still cold towards him.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Gotta say...
    Just do not see a valid grumble from the existing "Fan..." community.
    Unless what it wanted was for the IP to just stay static, and pick things up.
    The show hit on plenty of things worth shedding some light on, and definitely had some interesting nods to other "Genre..." IP.
    Regardless of the hate being spewed, do you not actually understand how some fans might not be happy about the main character being sidelined for most of the show?(of the eps that were released anyway) or just that you haven't seen anyone express that disappointment rationally and without "anti-woke" rage? I don't think having the hero of the show remain the hero of the show would be condemning the property to being "static." Adam could have used some development alongside the others - killing him isn't growth.(though I don't think he's dead) I can understand if some just wanted to see their beloved character shown some love and be able to revel in his new adventures. And then there's the hate-brigade...

Personally, I'm fine with the social agenda though - as with anything - the execution isn't always the best. It always frustrates me how the anti-woke ragers can never acknowledge that the endless stream of straight, white, male exceptionalism most of us were spoon fed our entire lives was just as much a social agenda. They'd become so accustomed to being catered to and enriched by it, that anything that challenges it causes them to freak.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-24-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Unhappy

Okay, while I do understand the reason many fans are upset I can't support them any longer. Apparently, Kevin Smith and others are getting flooded with threats including some death threats due to their involvement with the show. C'mon people, at the end of the day this is only a cartoon. So, yeah, I take back much of what I said. When people are this easily upset they need to seriously examine their priorities. I loath Star Trek Discovery so I simply don't watch it, nor do I obsess over it constantly complaining which I feel is the correct approach. Jeez people, grow up.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

Regardless of the hate being spewed, do you not actually understand how some fans might not be happy about the main character being sidelined for most of the show?(of the eps that were released anyway) or just that you haven't seen anyone express that disappointment rationally and without "anti-woke" rage? I don't think having the hero of the show remain the hero of the show would be condemning the property to being "static." Adam could have used some development alongside the others - killing him isn't growth.(though I don't think he's dead) I can understand if some just wanted to see their beloved character shown some love and be able to revel in his new adventures. And then there's the hate-brigade...

Personally, I'm fine with the social agenda though - as with anything - the execution isn't always the best. It always frustrates me how the anti-woke ragers can never acknowledge that the endless stream of straight, white, male exceptionalism most of us were spoon fed our entire lives was just as much a social agenda. They'd become so accustomed to being catered to and enriched by it, that anything that challenges it causes them to freak.
    Politely...

Have you seen the complaints from even the folks who supposedly make up the rationally disappointed?

If it's not folks who quit immediately(heck, I think someone in this very thread said "Fifteen Minutes..."), than it's folks saying "Sidelined For Most Of The Show..." when it is five parts into a ten part season and the character in question played a huge part in episodes four and five.

I don't have much of a problem with criticism of what is actually in a series. It's just tough to take it very seriously when folks are criticizing a show that does not actually exist.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't have much of a problem with criticism of what is actually in a series. It's just tough to take it very seriously when folks are criticizing a show that does not actually exist.
    They criticize what they were given. It's out there to consume so it's fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    They criticize what they were given. It's out there to consume so it's fair game.
    Which is one-half of a whole.

Math does not go out the window just because folks seem like they are intent on pitching a fit.

Which is one-half of a whole.

Math does not go out the window just because folks seem like they are intent on pitching a fit.
    No one needs a whole to determine if something is not to their liking. No sensible person is gotta waste their time watching something they don't enjoy to be able to say it sucks.

Politely...

Have you seen the complaints from even the folks who supposedly make up the rationally disappointed?

If it's not folks who quit immediately(heck, I think someone in this very thread said "Fifteen Minutes..."), than it's folks saying "Sidelined For Most Of The Show..." when it is five parts into a ten part season and the character in question played a huge part in episodes four and five.

No, I have not been reading the complaints - I can only imagine the **** that's being said out there. This thread is the only place I'm choosing to participate in any dialogue about the show. I choose to not expose myself to that nonsense.

Worth pointing out...

(Though the entire article is worthwhile even though it says exactly where they are headed when things pick back up...)

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/he-...ix-1235026831/
    This part of the article really caught my attention.....

Quote Originally Posted by Variety
    He was a young teenager during “He-Man’s” run from 1983 to 1985, and he wasn’t exactly a die-hard fan. “I almost hate-watched it, because I was like, this show’s for babies,” he said.
    And this is the guy they thought would be a good match for a He-Man project? Also didn't Smith say he was a huge He-Man fan when the project was announced? I didn't watch this show but I'm still. getting enjoyment from the conversation around it. Job well done LOL!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    No one needs a whole to determine if something is not to their liking. No sensible person is gotta waste their time watching something they don't enjoy to be able to say it sucks.
    To be able to make that assertion with any degree of legitimacy?

Yes, that is exactly what one would need to do.

Otherwise?

What you are actually saying is more like this...

While this entire thing could wind up being a completely brilliant take on this IP?

I started to suspect that it might not wind up being the case, and did not actually find out.

Take my opinion for what it is actually worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

And this is the guy they thought would be a good match for a He-Man project? Also didn't Smith say he was a huge He-Man fan when the project was announced? I didn't watch this show but I'm still. getting enjoyment from the conversation around it. Job well done LOL!
    You clearly missed some things...

“I know there’s some people that are like, ‘Hey, man, this show’s woke,'” he said. “I’m like, all right, great, then so was the original cartoon we’re fucking sequel-izing. Go watch it again. There are girls in every episode. Deal with it.”
    “It’s been interesting, seeing who truly is a hardcore fan,” he said. “Because anybody that’s like, ‘Oh, man, there’s not enough He-Man’ or something like that, doesn’t understand the show that we based it on. There were episodes where he lost the sword and he never became He-Man. It wasn’t like He-Man always saved the day. His friends helped him. That was the fucking point of the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    No, I have not been reading the complaints - I can only imagine the **** that's being said out there. This thread is the only place I'm choosing to participate in any dialogue about the show. I choose to not expose myself to that nonsense.
    From someone who has...

I'm going to take reasonable criticism for what it is when I finally see it.

Even from some of what is on this page?

It's not exactly reasonable.

To be able to make that assertion with any degree of legitimacy?

Yes, that is exactly what one would need to do.

Otherwise?

What you are actually saying is more like this...
    Yes as long they criticize up to the point where they stopped. Someone quitting before reaching the end is in itself a damning criticism