Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Overall I mainly feel bad for smith that Netflix only released 5 episodes, if the last 5 episodes are focused on a now weakened/injured Adam developing and fighting to take down skeletor or I guess he is now skelegod, then it would address almost all the issues people have with the lack of he-man in this series. I can't really form any major opinions about the show so far because it literally shuts it down half way through, even in my favorite films of all time, if the movie just ended half way through, it massively would have changed how I viewed that movie, so I don't feel its fair to just form a complete opinion on this so far. My only real complaint aside from it abruptly ending is that I do wish that Andra had been replaced with another character who was more well know and could use development, someone like Clamp Champ, Stratos or Sy-Klone (my personal favorite) but that is just me. Andra is fine but I wish the development could have gone to a more known character who could have used the development instead.

Overall the animation was amazing, the first episode was everything I wanted this show to be and the cliffhanger for ep 5 was well done just upsetting because it felt a bit abrupt, other than that it is really hard to feel too strongly about this because it literally is only half way done.

I will say the discourse around this is sad because we have reached a place where if you disliked the show,it can only be because you are not a "true fan" and are alt right. Similarly it seems like if you liked the show you are "woke and hate he-man" It just sucks that 99 percent of conversations are basically people arguing this. Both sides of it generalize everyone they disagree with as the absolute worst thing they can think of and its weird how people on those sides cannot stand each other so much but almost act identically when it comes to things like this, possessing an attitude of " agree with everything I say or you are alt right or woke" depending on who said it. Alt right idiots say " true fans hate this" and the other side says "anyone who dislikes this is not a true fan" how about there are different perspectives and what works for some doesn't work for others, sure are their idiots who hate this because they are sexist, absolutely but there are also people who genuinely wanted to see a show focused on he-man and are bummed they got a teela centric series instead. Man do I miss when people actually discussed things on merit and actual quality, instead of a bunch of third grade esque name calling to shut down anyone who disagrees, it is just really damn sad this is what most things have devolved into
    It's been like this for quite some time.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Incredible Member

Let's say the next 5 eps would've featured He-Man. Can we admit that it's still a colossal mistake to structure it that way, especially after all the promises Smith made before the series? It's hard to analyze this situation without concluding that Smith majorly pooped the bed someway, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    I don't care about the stupid political debates or click-baiting Youtubers but boy, you have to at least concede that starting a long awaited return of a beloved 80s property by sidelining its central character is a controversial move that was surely going to alienate A LOT of fans and generate an unnecessary mess. I don't know what they were thinking. Even if the second part goes as everyone is thinking it will, they already started by losing a lot of good will and that's not good.
    The War for Cybertron series suffered some slippery slope continuity fanbase loss as well. But it appears to have gained new ones and/or earned most of them back. It was a more a a reboot than a soft sequel like MotU:R is, however. The show has been incorporating the best parts of the continuity and streamlining the confusing bits. Additionally, it has been adding to the mythos.

The Nickelodeon TMNT show faced a lot of backlash but managed to gain a lot of new fans. IMHO it is the best kids TMNT because it incorporated what worked best from each iteration of the Turtles. I'm more of a fan of the original Eastman & Laird ones because that was my entry point into the fandom back when it came out. That show added some nice pieces to the mythos as well.

The current IDW Ghostbusters comic utilizes a similar approach as well. They even found a smart way to fold in the divisive GB16:ATC Ghostbusters into the universe. There is much love in that comic for the ENTIRE fandom.

As much as I have enjoyed this show ... maybe the "greatest hits" approach to beloved 80s properties is best? Take what worked and add to it.

I read all the interviews leading into the show and watched the featurettes. I knew this was called "Masters of the Universe" and was going to be about Teela's journey. Adam was going to be sidelined. I was not surprised. I am very much enjoying it for that reason as Teela, Man-At-Arms, She-Ra, Battle Cat, Skeletor were what I enjoyed the most about the OG show. He-Man himself was boring.

That being said, if you watch just the Netflix trailers, you get a very different vibe for the show. My nitpick would be to release a recut trailer and focus more on He-Man and Skeletor are NOT going to be the stars. It is mentioned in a few trailers, but some people need to be hit over the head with it to get it.

The new and amazing Voltron show went through the same thing. People were expecting more monster fights. The show has hardly any and it is better for it. They recut a trailer due to that backlash, to showcase that this show was going to be VERY different than the monster-of-the-week Voltron of the 80s. They can do the same for MotU:R, IMHO.

Maybe a reboot would've been best?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'll believe that when I see it. I'll sooner believe the focus will shift towards skeletor and things under him have turned to absolute chaos. I believe Adam stabbing will conveniently sideline him until the finale.
    The show ending with He-Man saving the day in any form would be disingenuous to what they are building right now. He can come back but there has to be a cost. This show has stakes now.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-26-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Incredible Member

Can we admit that Kevin Smith was at least somewhat misleading? BTW, I thought the show was pretty decent. On a like/dislike scale, I lean towards like. But one can like the show and admit some of the promotion was at best bad/clunky and at worst downright dishonest, right? Because we are people capable of nuance, right?

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/s...47608384204806

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/s...67602025426945

So I was lucky enough to talk with Kevin Smith face to face this past Saturday in Red Bank N.J. at The Secret Stash he owns. It was a great experience. I really do believe Kevin and his crew are putting in everything they have to give us the best stories we can get.

I watched all 5 episodes twice this past weekend. I loved it. Ya did I love it all? No. Are there things I would have done different than what Smith did? Sure there is. Overall though I really loved it. Masters of the Universe is back!!! He-Man is back!!! I am excited.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Even if they managed to salvage this it still goes down as a bingo card victim.

E7Gx5i5VkAw_Muo.jpg
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

E7Gx5i5VkAw_Muo.jpg
    Yep. Bingo. Bottom row.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

E7Gx5i5VkAw_Muo.jpg
    What happens when all of said things are actually occurring?

That literally happened with Star Wars and Captain Marvel. Kelly Marie Tran's wookiepedia page was vandalized by racists and the anti-SJW channels pretty much grew based on this nonsense on youtube. As much as I dislike the new trilogy, it'll be a colossal reach to say that the movies weren't attacked seriously by the alt-right adjacent youtube channels. Kelly Marie Tran actually quit social media and Ahmed Best just recently opened up on how much vitriol he received for playing Jar Jar Binks. Star Wars fandom is filled with toxicity and has been for a while, hence why garbage like "fandom menace" is a lot bigger than it should be.

Same thing with Captain Marvel, they made HUNDREDS of videos before the movie even opened and when the movie cleaned out at the box office they started making up stuff about Disney "buying tickets" (which isn't just stupid is actually illegal). The movie was review bombed before anyone saw it which was really...something.

Let's not pretend there's not a pretty huge industry built around young to middle aged people constantly attacking stuff that's SJW or political. These guys consistenly play the victims but they're really not.

It's happening and they are often the loudest voices.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-26-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Astonishing Member

Tons of the regular cartoon episodes often sidelined He-Man for no reasons so other characters could save the day. (Or at least get to that 90% mark). You basically have an invincible plot device who always wins the day easily. So to create drama, everyone always takes him out of the picture. So I wasn't surprised that a big Masters of the Universe story would also try to sideline He-Man until the very end. It's just that this is a 5 or 10 episode arc instead of one episode.

I actually wish they slowed things down a lot more. Show *more* episodes without He-Man. I want to see what this magic-less post-apocalyptic Eternia was like. Give Teela (and everyone else) more time to show her grief. Let's see how Ram-Man/Stratos and the other people were doing. Things moved from Point A to Point B really fast.

I think if the marketing didn't lie, things could have been much more well received. Imho, I enjoyed it, I thought it was close but not quite to being really good. We'll see what happens in Part 2.

Just like She-Ra pissed a lot of people off at first, the quality of the show won way more new fans over and it's now one of the most positively rated cartoons of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The War for Cybertron series suffered some slippery slope continuity fanbase loss as well. But it appears to have gained new ones and/or earned most of them back. It was a more a a reboot than a soft sequel like MotU:R is, however. The show has been incorporating the best parts of the continuity and streamlining the confusing bits. Additionally, it has been adding to the mythos.
    Are we talking about the Netflix trilogy or Transformers: Prime?
    As much as I have enjoyed this show ... maybe the "greatest hits" approach to beloved 80s properties is best? Take what worked and add to it.
    Isn't that what the 2002 cartoon was?

(I'm seeing a lot of renewed appreciation for this iteration on youtube).
    The new and amazing Voltron show went through the same thing. People were expecting more monster fights. The show has hardly any and it is better for it. They recut a trailer due to that backlash, to showcase that this show was going to be VERY different than the monster-of-the-week Voltron of the 80s. They can do the same for MotU:R, IMHO.
    I think I read somewhere the Legendary Defenders creators said they were happy to feature as little of Voltron as possible which seemed...kind of against the point of a show titled Voltron? I dunno.
    Maybe a reboot would've been best?
    Well, they are developing a new CGI cartoon.
    The show ending with He-Man saving the day in any form would be disingenuous to what they are building right now. He can come back but there has to be a cost. This show has stakes now.
    Isn't the cost already that Adam decided to come back with the chance of never achieving paradise again after he dies?
    Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Can we admit that Kevin Smith was at least somewhat misleading? BTW, I thought the show was pretty decent. On a like/dislike scale, I lean towards like. But one can like the show and admit some of the promotion was at best bad/clunky and at worst downright dishonest, right? Because we are people capable of nuance, right?

Well, in terms of the first half I think He-Man is relevant in as far as what happens to him sets off the plot and his absence and the impact that has on Teela is relevant in almost every episode, and Adam might be the main character or more of a co-lead with Teela in the second-half.
    Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Tons of the regular cartoon episodes often sidelined He-Man for no reasons so other characters could save the day. (Or at least get to that 90% mark). You basically have an invincible plot device who always wins the day easily. So to create drama, everyone always takes him out of the picture. So I wasn't surprised that a big Masters of the Universe story would also try to sideline He-Man until the very end. It's just that this is a 5 or 10 episode arc instead of one episode.

I actually wish they slowed things down a lot more. Show *more* episodes without He-Man. I want to see what this magic-less post-apocalyptic Eternia was like. Give Teela (and everyone else) more time to show her grief. Let's see how Ram-Man/Stratos and the other people were doing. Things moved from Point A to Point B really fast.

I think if the marketing didn't lie, things could have been much more well received. Imho, I enjoyed it, I thought it was close but not quite to being really good. We'll see what happens in Part 2.

Just like She-Ra pissed a lot of people off at first, the quality of the show won way more new fans over and it's now one of the most positively rated cartoons of all time.
    I'm trying to remember how much He-Man was sidelined in focus episodes for the other Masters in the 2002 cartoon but I feel like they usually balanced him out well with the focus of that episode's plot.

For a show called "Masters of the Universe" it would be nice to see more of the actual Masters of the Universe.

Let's seriously entertain that bit for a second...

For it to actually be even remotely misleading, He-Man would had to have actually stepped aside at some point.

Can anyone cite the exact point in the five episodes thus far where He-Man stepped aside?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Same thing with Captain Marvel, they made HUNDREDS of videos before the movie even opened and when the movie cleaned out at the box office they started making up stuff about Disney "buying tickets" (which isn't just stupid is actually illegal). The movie was review bombed before anyone saw it which was really...something.
    From what I remember, Disney buying tickets conspiracy came from disgruntled DCEU fans.

I also remember the review bombing came from something Brie Larson said during the press rounds for the film. Fragile egos got bruised and the hate campaign started. Poor Alita Battle Angel got mixed into all of it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think I read somewhere the Legendary Defenders creators said they were happy to feature as little of Voltron as possible which seemed...kind of against the point of a show titled Voltron? I dunno.
    When you are NOT trying to sell toys to fund the show-you don't have to.

She-ra did not have dolls until season 4.

The 2002 series was about selling MORE than just 8 versions of He-Man and Skeltor. Toys sales is what killed that series and a lack of toys prevent Static Shock season 5.

Let's not pretend there's not a pretty huge industry built around young to middle aged people constantly attacking stuff that's SJW or political. These guys consistently play the victims but they're really not.
    Folks who actually WATCHED the show-even a few episodes and did not like it are NOT the issue. At least they gave it a try. Which is all anyone can ask.

The ones everyone is sick of are the ones who see a black woman next to Teela and go off. They have NOT watch a single minute but have jumped on the alt-right attack train to get youtube hits.

Kelly nor John Boyega were bothering anyone yet who got attacked the most by Star Wars trolls? Since that movie trilogy ended-Disney has acted like Finn and the gang never happened. That is 100% pandering to a toxic fandom.

Now we have it happening again with He-Man. A reboot would not WORK either. Reboot means ONE THING-I Can do WHATEVER I WANT.
    A black He-Man? A transgender He-Man? Anything is a GO.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    From what I remember, Disney buying tickets conspiracy came from disgruntled DCEU fans.

I also remember the review bombing came from something Brie Larson said during the press rounds for the film. Fragile egos got bruised and the hate campaign started. Poor Alita Battle Angel got mixed into all of it.
    Black Panther got it too.
    On IMDB any black movie got it low ratings before it got released.

Lets not forget Endgame-where someone EDITED out every woman & minority in the movie. While the film was actually in theaters.

Incredible Member

So yeah, looks like we can't admit it, lol.

If someone shares my political ideology, then he can never do anything wrong. And anyone who criticizes him is the enemy.

That's what people are going with, it seems.