Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    So yeah, looks like we can't admit it, lol.

If someone shares my political ideology, then he can never do anything wrong. And anyone who criticizes him is the enemy.

That's what people are going with, it seems.
    Or...

Most of the folks being "Critical..." most likely walked in with their minds already made up or are intent on making mountains out of molehills.

Otherwise?

They would actually have an instance of He-Man stepping aside.

For starters...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    They would actually have an instance of He-Man stepping aside.
    lol, seriously? He "died" and then it became Teela's show. Now it's possible that the next 5 episodes will contain more He-Man, but I think most reasonable people can agree that Kevin Smith's quotes and much of the marketing did not match up to what took place on screen in the first five episodes.

Now, your turn to answer.

Why is the following not misleading by Kevin Smith?

At the very least smith was somewhat misleading, the whole stepping aside thing means to most people that he-man would be absent from the plot, not that he-man would literally walk away and step aside, smith at the very least used semantics to mislead people, but even if you ignore that one his quote that the series is literally all about he-man appears to have been misleading especially for what we have seen so far, I am not positive or negative on the show so far, its an incomplete project and needs to be allowed to finish its actual plot before a conclusive judgement can be made on what the series was. But at the very least smith did not help himself by making those statements and the marketing didn't help because it was so he-man v skeletor focused. They could easily have made it more apparent that the show dealt with the aftermath of he-man absence, similiar to the way a movie like batman: bad blood showed that it was about the absence of batman, but because of the marketing and statements by smith people walked in thinking this was a classic he-man show with him as the lead instead that got a teela centric show that benched the two most popular characters to focus on teela and a basically brand new character in andra. This was sold as the "show that fans always wanted" and i don't really know that many fans whose dream motu show featured more of andra and orko than skeletor and adam

of course this could all be rectified with the back 5 episodes but I would not blame anyone for being frustrated with what they got given what smith and netflix promoted. I do have faith that smith will deliver a good show so I am absolutely in for the back 5 episodes but I do get where frustration exists with some fans and personally would say that the first 5 episodes were disappointing to me because there was so little of skeletor and he-man, nothing against teela but those two are the main attraction to MOTU for the majority of fans
    Last edited by regg215; 07-26-2021 at 04:23 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    At the very least smith was somewhat misleading, the whole stepping aside thing means to most people that he-man would be absent from the plot, not that he-man would literally walk away and step aside, smith at the very least used semantics to mislead people, but even if you ignore that one his quote that the series is literally all about he-man appears to have been misleading especially for what we have seen so far, I am not positive or negative on the show so far, its an incomplete project and needs to be allowed to finish its actual plot before a conclusive judgement can be made on what the series was. But at the very least smith did not help himself by making those statements and the marketing didn't help because it was so he-man v skeletor focused. They could easily have made it more apparent that the show dealt with the aftermath of he-man absence, similiar to the way a movie like batman: bad blood showed that it was about the absence of batman but because of the marketing and statements by smith people walked in thinking this was a classic he-man show with him as the lead instead that got a teela centric show that benched most of the popular characters to focus on teela and a basically brand new character in andra. This was sold as the "show that fans always wanted" and i don't really know that many fans whose dream motu show featured more of andra and orko than skeletor and adam

of course this could all be rectified with the back 5 episodes but I would not blame anyone for being frustrated with what they got given what smith and netflix promoted
    Thank you! You are a reasonable person. I hope the other poster's tactic isn't to be literal about "step aside", lol.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    They could easily have made it more apparent that the show dealt with the aftermath of he-man absence, similiar to the way a movie like batman: bad blood showed that it was about the absence of batman, but because of the marketing and statements by smith people walked in thinking this was a classic he-man show with him as the lead instead that got a teela centric show that benched the two most popular characters to focus on teela and a basically brand new character in andra. This was sold as the "show that fans always wanted" and i don't really know that many fans whose dream motu show featured more of andra and orko than skeletor and adam
    Right, people would have to venture into intellectual dishonesty to "not understand why people are criticizing Smith" or that "Smith didn't say anything remotely misleading"

Now, your turn to answer.

Why is the following not misleading by Kevin Smith?

"Basics 101..." -

In the year 2021, no creator worth their salt will be telling you everything about the exact details of a show going in.

Past that?

Everything there is true.

(Assuming one has actually watched the show to see all of that come to pass...)

I'm not one of those it's "Woke" people.

Take the She-Ra Reboot I watched OG She-Ra just like I did He-Man and I saw the reboot realized it wasn't made for me but for a new generation and wished it nothing but the best as a show.

This show was marketed as a direct sequel to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. So how is it so far IMO?

Well it has killed characters I liked and Fridged He-Man. So yeah not good. It can possibly turn around with the last group of episodes, but as of now I find myself asking one question. How the heck did they make a show that makes The New Adventures of He-Man look good?

But I will give it this the Animation is Fantastic.

Incredible Member

"Basics 101..." -

In the year 2021, no creator worth their salt will be telling you everything about the exact details of a show going in.
    What kind of weaksauce strawman is that? All Smith had to say was either "Teela will co-star" (less honest) or "Teela will be the lead for the first batch of episodes that we drop" (more honest). Neither divulges any details. But perhaps the other thing Smith could've done was to not say anything at all so he wouldn't be in a position to lie; I mean, according to you, he was worried about revealing the exact details of the plot, so why not just say nothing instead of saying something misleading?

Past that?

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, since I can't hook you up to a lie detector. I think pretty clearly Kevin Smith in those quotes and much of the marketing implied that He-Man would be the lead character and get the most screen time.

"Basics 101..." -
    Past that?
    (Assuming one has actually watched the show to see all of that come to pass...)
    You challenged someone to mention when He-Man steps aside, and when someone did, you deflect with a different tactic? (while once again being rudely dismissive of anyone with an opinion that isn't yours) Your agenda is clear and engaging in reasonable discourse is not it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    I don't care about the stupid political debates or click-baiting Youtubers but boy, you have to at least concede that starting a long awaited return of a beloved 80s property by sidelining its central character is a controversial move that was surely going to alienate A LOT of fans and generate an unnecessary mess. I don't know what they were thinking. Even if the second part goes as everyone is thinking it will, they already started by losing a lot of good will and that's not good.
    They were probably thinking. People always say they want change. Then when it's given to them, they cry and whine, There is literally no winning some people.
    I got accused of copying a Creepypasta, that I created, that some narrators read. Because "my" story was trying to hard to be different, than the original story, that I originally created, with the same characters.
    I got accused of copying the story (I created) and Mary-Sue'ing it's main protagonist. Even though she is the same in all the stories, including the one they liked, and said I copied.

When I proved to them it was me, they were like. I was just looking for something different, and hadn't realized I was reading something different, since she is in multiple horror stories.

It's hard to please anybody. Kevin Smith, should have just not engaged with the negativity. Just like I'm slowly doing. I respond to constructiveness, not bashing.

Can we admit that Kevin Smith was at least somewhat misleading? BTW, I thought the show was pretty decent. On a like/dislike scale, I lean towards like. But one can like the show and admit some of the promotion was at best bad/clunky and at worst downright dishonest, right? Because we are people capable of nuance, right?

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/s...47608384204806

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/s...67602025426945

Where's the lie? The show is literally all about He-man.
    He-man didn't step aside, and Teela went on a quest to get back the sword of power, which led to He-man.
    The problem is that, "FANS" have no patience for anything.
    The word nuance, and story telling means nothing to many today.

Clownfish TV? I've seen some of what those inflammatory hacks post on youtube. Smith would have been better off ignoring them. They're the kind of people that support Vic Minogna and Ryan Heywood over their victims.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I just binged the first 5 episodes of this series....wow, this was a total Woke Steamer. That incredible preview was pretty much false advertising because it was about 10 minutes of the entire series.

The short part of my review. If the series was about Stinkor living in his Garbage Dump, it'd have been a far better show than this one!

The Good

Voice Casting: All did a great job. Especially Hamill's Skeletor and Heady's Evil Lynn

Overall Animation Style: The colors and layouts were great

First Episode: We got a nice and epic He-Man vs Skeletor Fight that I always wanted

The twist at the end of Episode 5: I had a feeling something like that would happen but it was still crazy

The Bad:

Teela: Holy Hell this character was a whiny, extremely selfish bitch. The show praises her for being this master strategist and tactician but was butt hurt when she found out Adam and He-Man were the same? If you're this master tactician (were you really that clueless about Adam's Secret?), if everybody knew Adam and He-Man were the same, wouldn't you understand that it'd be safer to keep that information secret so Adam's Loved Ones aren't captured and exploited? The worst part about Teela? When Adam died and her father being shamed all she did was whine about how hurt her feelings were! "Oh Poor Me!" Even when you reunite with your friend from the dead she's still angry at him. Seriously? This is the last chance you'll see him and this is what you're going to do?

Another Force Fed Heroine: In the tradition of Star War's Rey and Star Trek's Michael, this show tried really hard to force Teela down our throats and it had the exact opposite effect for me...I hated this character the most. So after going on this rant about how hurt her feelings were, she gets a butch haircut, an african american female sidekick, beat up everybody in her path and of course saves the universe.

WTF Moments: Episode 2 was by far the worst of this show. I can't see anything topping this. I still don't get what Cringer's Motivation speech was about when he calmed Teela down. So he says Adam trusted her the most...but the point of Teela's Whining was because Adam left her in the dark about his secret identity.

Butch Females: I get that Teela's a seasoned warrior. But her sidekick mechanic? Evil Lyn who's more a scholar/witch

Overall: Why do these people in Hollywood think crap like this is a good idea?! What's their target audience? I was born in 78. Sometimes it sucks getting older but holy crap do I feel blessed growing up in the 80s. I seriously pity this generation sometimes.

Question: I never knew Queen Marlena also knew Adam's Identity. Was this always the case?
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 07-26-2021 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Question: I never knew Queen Marlena also knew Adam's Identity. Was this always the case?
    Its unclear when she figured it out (some have speculated she knew the very first time she laid eyes on He-Man), but she all but blurted it out at the end of The Rainbow Warrior.

Everyone was captured, she freed only Adam. At the end, Adam asked her why, and she was coy with the reason why.

Revelation simply confirms it outright rather than leave it up to speculation.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I just binged the 5 episodes of this series....wow, this was a total Woke Steamer. That incredible preview was pretty much false advertising because it was about 10 minutes of the entire series.

The short part of my review. If the series was about Stinkor living in his Garbage Dump, it'd have been a far better show than this one!

The Good

Voice Casting: All did a great job. Especially Hamill's Skeletor and Heady's Evil Lynn

Overall Animation Style: The colors and layouts were great

First Episode: We got a nice and epic He-Man vs Skeletor Fight that I always wanted

The twist at the end of Episode 5: I had a feeling something like that would happen but it was still crazy

The Bad:

Teela: Holy Hell this character was a whiny, extremely selfish bitch. The show praises her for being this master strategist and tactician but was butt hurt when she found out Adam and He-Man were the same? If you're some master tactician, if everybody knew Adam and He-Man were the same, wouldn't you understand that it'd be safer to keep that information secret so Adam's Loved Ones aren't captured and exploited? The worst part about Teela? When Adam died and her father being shamed all she did was whine about how hurt her feelings were! "Oh Poor Me!" Even when you reunite with your friend from the dead she's still angry at him. Seriously? This is the last chance you'll see him and this is what you're going to do?

Another Force Fed Heroine: In the tradition of Star War's Rey and Star Trek's Michael, this show tried really hard to force Teela down our throats and it had the exact opposite effect for me...I hated this character the most. So after going on this rant about how hurt her feelings were, she gets a butch haircut, an african american female sidekick, beat up everybody in her path and of course saves the universe.

WTF Moments: Episode 2 was by far the worst of this show. I can't see anything topping this. I still don't get what Cringer's Motivation speech was about when he calmed Teela down. So he says Adam trusted her the most...but the point of Teela's Whining was because Adam left her in the dark about his secret identity.

Butch Females: I get that Teela's a seasoned warrior. But her sidekick mechanic? Evil Lyn who's more a scholar/witch

Overall: Why do these people in Hollywood think crap like this is a good idea?! What's their target audience? I was born in 78. Sometimes it sucks getting older but holy crap do I feel blessed growing up in the 80s. I seriously pity this generation sometimes.

Do you really have to attack the character in such a sexist fashion?