Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I finished it this morning and nothing in this changes the franchise at all. The original didn't have a whole lot of deep lore built around it to begin with. Anything done to grow the franchise lore was done so outside of the actual cartoon series this is based on. So it's more like simply ignoring the EU for Star Wars than outright changing anything.
    The original was done to SELL toys. Like every other cartoon at that time.

All this and even She-Ra was doing is expanding on what could NOT be expanded on due to restraints.

These fit throwers would go crazy if they saw Power Rangers, Robotech, Voltron and Sailor Moon in their original forms.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The original was done to SELL toys. Like every other cartoon at that time.

All this and even She-Ra was doing is expanding on what could NOT be expanded on due to restraints.

These fit throwers would go crazy if they saw Power Rangers, Robotech, Voltron and Sailor Moon in their original forms.
    I know, which is why I laugh at these complainers talking about the original series like it was some pinnacle of good writing/storytelling lol I watched the show as it aired and, even at the age, could tell the writing was simple as hell. A literal 8 year old could predict the plot points since they were always the same.

Thumbs up

I never liked He Man and the Masters (I found the series silly, I'm more a 1990s kid) so I won't be watching beyond the first episode (which I watched out of curiosity) but it sucks for those who will be.

Edit - I do feel (from reading the critic season reviews) like certain major seasonal plot elements are recycled *cough* stolen *cough* from the Force Awakens which makes me lol. I won't say more because I don't want to spoil people.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-23-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

That's not a "change." It's part of the ongoing story/plot point.
    It's going to be point where I'm sure a lot of fans will rage quit. It's a huge status quo change regardless.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-23-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's going to be point where I'm sure a lot of fans will rage quit. It's a huge status quo change regardless.
    Considering how things turn out, SPOILER

spoilers:
    it really isn't.
    end of spoilers

And those types would "rage quit" over anything, if they're even watching to begin with.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-23-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Considering how things turn out, SPOILER

spoilers:
    it really isn't.
    end of spoilers

And those types would "rage quit" over anything, if they're even watching to begin with.
    I think the problem is, let's be real here, how many young fans does this property actually have (and by young I mean under 40 in this case)? It is based on a toy selling show from the 80s for Pete's sake. I think if I was in charge of such a dated property I would do everything in my power to preserve the status quo during season one so as not to offend my dwindling fanbase right out of the gate. I would have sprung these changes in season two after I had a hit on my hands (if things worked out).
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-23-2021 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think the problem is, let's be real here, how many young fans does this property have (and by young I mean under 40 in this case)? I think if I was in charge of such a dated property I would do everything in my power to preserve the status quo so as not to offend my dwindling fanbase right out the gate.
    But what we're talking about isn't being done in favor of younger fans. The plot directly plays off the old series. That's my point. If you are a fan of the original, then you should have no issue getting into this.

Like if they brought in all new characters, then I could see the point about alienating old fans. But that isn't what this show is doing.

But what we're talking about isn't being done in favor of younger fans. The plot directly plays off the old series. That's my point. If you are a fan of the original, then you should have no issue getting into this.

Like if they brought in all new characters, then I could see the point about alienating old fans. But that isn't what this show is doing.
    Are you serious? Sorry, dude, but this is a bad faith argument if I ever heard one. While I'm not a fan I can understand why people who are would be pissed off majorly by what happened.

Edit -

spoilers:
    It would be like a series titled Batman and the Bat family and Batman is killed off in the first episode or two. This is classic bait & switch "subvert expectations" current entertainment BS tactic. The title character or star gets whacked early on, lovely.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-23-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Hahaha, are you serious? Sorry, dude, but this is a bad faith argument if I ever heard one. While I'm not a fan I can understand why people who are would be pissed off majorly by what happened.

Edit -

spoilers:
    It would be like a series titled Batman and the Bat family and Batman is killed off in the first episode or two. This is classic bait & switch "subvert expectations" current entertainment BS tactic.
    end of spoilers
    The series isn't called "He-Man" nor does his name appear in the title at all, so your analogy doesn't really work.

And my argument is hardly "bad faith." I've actually watched this series and the original and can say that it definitely carries forward from the 80s show. It's even a lot like an actual episode from the 80s series, just drawn out. The trailer basically lays out that this was about some event happening and then they have to get the team back together again, which is exactly what happens here.

The series isn't called "He-Man" nor does his name appear in the title at all, so your analogy doesn't really work.

And my argument is hardly "bad faith." I've actually watched this series and the original and can say that it definitely carries forward from the 80s show. It's even a lot like an actual episode from the 80s series, just drawn out. The trailer basically lays out that this was about some event happening and then they have to get the team back together again, which is exactly what happens here.
    Ah, riddle me this Batman the two characters featured most prominently in the marketing get well I won't say, gee I wonder why? Sounds bait and switch to me.

You enjoy it because I highly doubt many other fans will judging by the reaction I see on and offline. Anyhow, I'm not wasting any more of my time debating the merits (or lack thereof) of a silly show I don't watch.

Well yeah, if you haven't watched it then debating about it probably isn't the best idea.

Well yeah, if you haven't watched it then debating about it probably isn't the best idea.
    I watched the new one (current series) out of curiosity and it sucks (worst than the original because of that bait and switch), IMO. But whatever floats your boat.

bye

Can you really call something a bait and switch when you've only seen half the show? You have no idea what the rest of the show will bring. Everything that "baited" you could still happen in the back half of the season.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Can you really call something a bait and switch when you've only seen half the show? You have no idea what the rest of the show will bring. Everything that "baited" you could still happen in the back half of the season.
    Yes you can. All the marketing clearly played up the titular hero and villian. And they actual show goes a completely different direction whether that changes or not in the second half that is literally bait and switch

spoilers:
    Killing off He-Man twice in the span of five episodes is such an odd choice. It's more exhausting than shocking.
    end of spoilers