Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

I find it hilarious that Kevin Smith used to talk smack about everything from the first Batman film to Prince to the Star Wars prequels. Now that he has become the target of unhappy fans he is not taking it well and telling fans to grow up. A 50 year old man wearing his cap backwards who keeps making reaction videos of himself crying is telling people to grow up

I guess Kevin Smith lived long enough to become the kind of empty double talking Hollywood suit that he used to rail against. You gotta love it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I find it hilarious that Kevin Smith used to talk smack about everything from the first Batman film to Prince to the Star Wars prequels. Now that he has become the target of unhappy fans he is not taking it well and telling fans to grow up. A 50 year old man wearing his cap backwards who keeps making reaction videos of himself crying is telling people to grow up

I guess Kevin Smith lived long enough to become the kind of empty double talking Hollywood suit that he used to rail against. You gotta love it.
    Well, he did beat the crap out of a kid who talked smack about him on the internet 20 years ago in "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back"

I wish I were the kind of person who could lay in the original "He-Man" theme over that footage, but you'll just have to imagine it...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-30-2021 at 11:06 PM.

It was okay, extremely short though and not as good as Netflix's She-Ra show (or the 2000's reboot). It feels like basically a dream list of ideas that previous shows and media couldn't explore or never got a chance too (killing characters off for instance).

As for the controversy surrounding the work, yeah, I do think the female presence in this show comes across as "forced." Pretty much every male character in the series gets sidelined here, also the violence is extremely gendered. Male (or Male coded characters) bleed and die, but, the three female protagonists don't and I always consider this a major red flag. She-Ra was less gory, yet it was far more willing to show its female characters getting hurt and Bow was an equal protagonist on the show.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-30-2021 at 11:39 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Great show. I'm looking forward to the next episodes. Will this conclude the series or is it a "trilogy" of five episodes each?

I'm glad for the more advanced animation. I'm glad that the voices weren't simply imitating the older show. I'm glad for the PG-13 stakes injected into it, but of course it's not going to be Conan-style rated R, for obvious reasons.

I just don't think it's a big deal that it was handled the way it was.

I hope Andra gets her own figure. Also for King Grayskull. Interesting philosophical quandary in exploring Eternia's "balance" of technology and magic (the odd dichotomy of various high tech stuff existing alongside cities that are medieval-tech adjacent.

Astonishing Member

Great show. I'm looking forward to the next episodes. Will this conclude the series or is it a "trilogy" of five episodes each?
    The next group of 5 episodes ends this arc/story.

There's also rumors that Netflix has already Greenlighted a next batch of episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Well, he did beat the crap out of a kid who talked smack about him on the internet 20 years ago in "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back"

I wish I were the kind of person who could lay in the original "He-Man" theme over that footage, but you'll just have to imagine it...
    The perfect ending to that video ends with that Silent Bob knocking on a door and it's answered by modern day Kevin Smith....and they start beating him up.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan
    The next group of 5 episodes ends this arc/story.

There's also rumors that Netflix has already Greenlighted a next batch of episodes.
    It's not a rumor. Netflix approved this thing for two seasons sight unseen because Kevin Smith convinced them that he could turn this thing into the next MCU I'll let Kevin Smith explain himself....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Smith
    “I know how to Marvel-ize this ****,” Smith said. “They re-served me my childhood with fresh recipes, and I get to eat the same meals that made me happy as a kid all over again. But it’s a trick. I’ve been studying Kevin Feige like crazy for 10 years. They give you something that you feel like looks like your childhood. But when you go back and compare it to your childhood, it’s way better. And that’s what we did here.”

There you have it folks! Kevin Smith knows how to Marvel-ize ****. He studied Kevin Feige like crazy. Here is a link to the article where Smith lays out his master plan https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/he-...ix-1235026831/
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-31-2021 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to post link to Variety article
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

There you have it folks! Kevin Smith knows how to Marvel-ize ****. He studied Kevin Feige like crazy. Here is a link to the article where Smith lays out his master plan https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/he-...ix-1235026831/
    Jesus, this is just Great Man theory. I'm sure Fiege is a nice and smart guy, but the personality cult that developed around him is insufferable and hurts media criticism.

(The idea that folks that are saying that Smith lied previously seem to be the same ones buying into that everything that he is doing now is on the level and not a bit to tune them up?...

Well, that is sort of an interesting one.)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I love that scene...lol. Thanks I needed a good laugh today while I am at worked getting my @$$ kicked.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It was okay, extremely short though and not as good as Netflix's She-Ra show (or the 2000's reboot). It feels like basically a dream list of ideas that previous shows and media couldn't explore or never got a chance too (killing characters off for instance).

As for the controversy surrounding the work, yeah, I do think the female presence in this show comes across as "forced." Pretty much every male character in the series gets sidelined here, also the violence is extremely gendered. Male (or Male coded characters) bleed and die, but, the three female protagonists don't and I always consider this a major red flag. She-Ra was less gory, yet it was far more willing to show its female characters getting hurt and Bow was an equal protagonist on the show.
    This says less about the show and more about how the opposite is far more common so when it swings in the opposite direction people take notice.

Compare this to another Netflix animated series, Transformers: War For Cybertron, where the female characters can be counted on one hand and the majority of screen time and development is given to male characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This says less about the show and more about how the opposite is far more common so when it swings in the opposite direction people take notice.

Compare this to another Netflix animated series, Transformers: War For Cybertron, where the female characters can be counted on one hand and the majority of screen time and development is given to male characters.
    Well, one thing I would say this series improved upon compared to WFC is not having a bunch of characters who do nothing and barely utilize their gimmicks...even if I'm still wondering where the rest of the Masters of the Universe are.

I watched it to see in part if all the endless criticism was justified. In short, has He-Man gone "Woke".

I can understand why people might be getting worried about politics entering into art after Netflix announced they were going to hire a gender and diversity consultant, but....

I don't think putting Teela and her compatriot front and center was done for political "woke" motives, I think it was simply done to build up plot tension, so that He-Man can return in grandiose fashion.

I notice a lot of these popular anti SJW youtube channels thrive on the negative because it's the way they get subscribers.

I think people should wait to see how it plays out first...if things don't change than the criticism can be justified....but not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

General yeah, there are still shows today where being the only girl on a team is that character's defining feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I think people should wait to see how it plays out first...if things don't change than the criticism can be justified....but not yet.
    Exaclty...not yet. The second part of the story has not even been told or seen yet and many have already given up. Pretty sad.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I really liked basically everything except the story itself. I don't really care about controversy, but I think Smith just wants to shock everyone and doesn't really have the talent to follow through on it. Like I've said elsewhere, it's weird because it's like big episode one twist nothing will ever be the same, and then the whole series runs on nostalgia callbacks that don't really go anywhere. She Ra was great because they used the parts of the original that inspired them to do their own thing. He Man is just playing with the action figures, but throwing away the one everyone actually wants to see.

I thought it was okay. Fine. Acceptable enough that I could enjoy it while watching it, but then episode 5 does the exact same twist as episode 1 and I was just like :|

As far as "waiting to see" goes, I mean, we're half a season deep. I think it's reasonable to make some decisions and criticisms about what we've seen. As it is, I think the story is a disservice to the design work, art, and animation that's gone into it.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 08-01-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands