Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Show me one place in the marketing where it shows this will be a series without the two leads.
    Show where in the marketing they stated those two were the leads.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Show where in the marketing they stated those two were the leads.
    They showed them in every bit of marketing. Plus, it is logical to assume they are the leads because historically they have been. I can't fault people for their anger it is perfectly understandable.

*Sigh* That's it for me. I have FAR better things to do with my time like binge-watching My Hero Academia and Black Lagon on Funimation.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-23-2021 at 06:21 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

They showed them in every bit of marketing. Plus, it is logical to assume they are the leads because historically they have been. I can't fault people for their anger it is perfectly understandable.
    Again, if they are in the back half of the show, then it isn't misleading marketing. They're still in the show.

Just because people assume things and their assumptions are incorrect doesn't mean it's a bait and switch. It's perfectly fine if people are upset that the show isn't what they want it to be, or what they assumed it would be, but that's not bait and switch.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

So, we're no longer bothering with hiding spoilers, right? Just to be clear....

Regardless of whether or not one wants to call it "bait and switch" (I happen to think the term applies), and whether or not He-Man and Skeletor play larger roles in the other half of the season, I can understand if fans of the old show are angry about the way this was done. I was never a big fan of the show but I'm surprised they did this. At least She-Ra was clearly a different take and a more modern show. Calling this a sequel to the 80's show came across like a response to fans who weren't pleased with that take - to say, "Hey, don't worry - this show's for you!" And then that trailer as well does set up certain expectations. I imagine there's a bunch of pissed off fans (especially of He-Man/Adam) and I don't blame them. If Kevin Smith wanted to tell this story, he could have presented it as: He-Man and Skeletor are "missing" and Eternia has gone to hell -- show how all the characters - Teela, Duncan, Sorceress, etc have changed, show them working with Evil-Lynn, etc.... to try getting them interested in the actual story they were telling. (I know we saw glimpses of these things, but the main push of the trailer was He-Man fighting Skeletor) Tease He-Man's return or whatever, but at least fans would have an idea. The Comicsgate crowd is going to be pissed no matter what, and I feel bad if genuine fans who are disappointed get lumped in with them, but Smith could have handled this a lot better, imo. We'll see how he handles the response...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-23-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    This is apparently much of modern fandom now - like everything unconditionally and absolutely or be declared some sort of monster for daring to have constructive criticism. Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghostbusters and now this. Watch out for the next few weeks of articles belittling anyone who takes issue with this as all the same ‘haters’. They can’t hurt you if they’re all the extreme 40 something crybabies, right?
    It already has begun or so i heard.

But you know what, that's fine, everyone has their own opinion.

Mine is the following....this was total utter crap.

Now to face the horde that is the "true fans".

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    It already has begun or so i heard.

But you know what, that's fine, everyone has their own opinion.

Mine is the following....this was total utter crap.

Now to face the horde that is the "true fans".
    Did anyone else get a "Force Awakenings" (my favorite movie of the new trilogy I might add) vibe from this once the flash-forward occurred or am I alone? The story felt very similar to me in certain regards (Teela especially so).

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So, we're no longer bothering with hiding spoilers, right? Just to be clear....

Regardless of whether or not one wants to call it "bait and switch" (I happen to think the term applies), and whether or not He-Man and Skeletor play larger roles in the other half of the season, I can understand if fans of the old show are angry about the way this was done. I was never a big fan of the show but I'm surprised they did this. At least She-Ra was clearly a different take and a more modern show. Calling this a sequel to the 80's show came across like a response to fans who weren't pleased with that take - to say, "Hey, don't worry - this show's for you!" And then that trailer as well does set up certain expectations. I imagine there's a bunch of pissed off fans (especially of He-Man/Adam) and I don't blame them. If Kevin Smith wanted to tell this story, he could have presented it as: He-Man and Skeletor are "missing" and Eternia has gone to hell -- show how all the characters - Teela, Duncan, Sorceress, etc have changed, show them working with Evil-Lynn, etc.... to try getting them interested in the actual story they were telling. (I know we saw glimpses of these things, but the main push of the trailer was He-Man fighting Skeletor) Tease He-Man's return or whatever, but at least fans would have an idea. The Comicsgate crowd is going to be pissed no matter what, and I feel bad if genuine fans who are disappointed get lumped in with them, but Smith could have handled this a lot better, imo. We'll see how he handles the response...
    From what i heard his response to it before the series even came out was to be childish and disrespectful to whoever expressed any criticism no matter how well constructed and thoughtful (based on his actions against Clownfish TV who got run through the mud for no sane reason). so given the aftermath and from the way people are making their displeasure known (heard it is crashing and burning on Rotten Tomatoes) then i expect much slander being thrown and Social Media mobs to rally in order to defend what in their mind is a "masterpiece" when in reality it is a turd.

Did anyone else get a "Force Awakenings" (my favorite movie of the new trilogy I might add) vibe from this once the flash-forward occurred or am I alone? The story felt very similar to me in certain regards (Teela especially so).
    Would you elaborate on this please?

5 episodes, and it ends with that.

I know Teela is the main focus, but Adam has appeared (one way or another) in every episode. I give them that. But it being a kids show (supposedly), and supposed to be a bright story, I do expect Adam to not be dead, but be badly injured. And that Adora of the original series may show up.

Would you elaborate on this please?
    spoilers:
    Eternia becoming a wasteland ala Jakku. Teela becoming a semi-hermit and scavenger type ala Rey. A weird assed techno cult/gang forming to confront our heroes ala the Guavian Death Gang. The quest to restore magic ala the quest to restore or rediscover the Force.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-23-2021 at 08:38 PM.

spoilers:
    Eternia becoming a wasteland ala Jakku. Teela becoming a semi-hermit and scavenger type ala Rey. A weird assed techno cult/gang forming to confront our heroes ala the Guavian Death Gang. The quest to restore magic ala the quest to restore or rediscover the Force.
    end of spoilers
    Hmm, that is a good point but at the same time it feels me with dread given how the rest of the trilogy ended up turning out.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    The wound Adam got looks bad but probably wasn't fatal,
    going by the art.

They could go either way with this, and this is a pretty huge cliffhanger. Especially for a show that classically had zero stakes
    end of spoilers

Hmm, that is a good point but at the same time it feels me with dread given how the rest of the trilogy ended up turning out.
    Rey was never a Mad Maxx-style, cutthroat, highest bidder, merc-for-hire that sawed open the head of a bad guy with the hand of a father, in front of his daughter no less. Teela beat up the kid, too. Don't think Rey punched kids, either.

I kind of wonder if some of the people that don't like this show just don't like women shown in powerful roles?

Because Rey has nothing on this Teela, who suffers no **** from any person. She is much more like comicbook or even Timmverse Wonder Woman, minus the naivety Diana is sometimes shown to have. Maybe she is more like Red Sonja? I dunno. I cannot think of an apt comparison at the moment. Buffy, lol?

This Teela is very strong and really nothing like Rey.

There are better critiques to be had, IMHO.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-23-2021 at 10:39 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    spoilers:
    The wound Adam got looks bad but probably wasn't fatal,
    going by the art.

They could go either way with this, and this is a pretty huge cliffhanger. Especially for a show that classically had zero stakes
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I kind of wonder if the setup will be Adam getting tech implants or something, while Teela ends up embracing magic again?

Putting them further at odds and making Adam nearly a villain for Teela to redeem.

But the latter part seems a bit grimdark for the show.
    end of spoilers
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Oddball possibility that occurred to me...

spoilers:
    It will follow the "Knightfall" angle. Adam will wind up having to reel her in after she goes all Azrael.
    end of spoilers