Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The same can be said for Star Wars. That's what kept that franchise alive in the 20 years between trilogies. It worked out well for it.
    Star Wars hasn't been niche for a very long time, you're kidding yourself if you think He-Man has had anywhere near the cultural awareness as Star Wars since the late 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Star Wars hasn't been niche for a very long time, you're kidding yourself if you think He-Man has had anywhere near the cultural awareness as Star Wars since the late 80's.
    Was Star Wars every really niche? Killed the toy sales and comics and movie sales in the 70s to 80s ... had a run of NYT Best Sellers in the 90s and then the SE's came out with new toys ... then the PT ... cartoons ... then ST ... and now D+.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Was Star Wars every really niche? Killed the toy sales and comics and movie sales in the 70s to 80s ... had a run of NYT Best Sellers in the 90s and then the SE's came out with new toys ... then the PT ... cartoons ... then ST ... and now D+.
    It was probably slightly above niche at it's lowest point in the late 80's, early 90's but it's been far and above He-Man as far as fan awareness since then. And even when it was something that was surviving mostly as a toy line that was when toys were popular and profitable and that's something that has greatly changed over the last decade...which is why bringing up Star Wars in comparison to He-Man is laughable.

He-Man is a little known property these days, and there's nothing wrong with admitting that truth.

Forget all this Teela chatter, what I'm most pissed about is where the **** was Panthor?!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Forget all this Teela chatter, what I'm most pissed about is where the **** was Panthor?!
    I assume that we saw one of his ancestors in Episode 4, in the Eternian Heaven as the prey for the hunting game they were using. If they did that callback, then Panthor probably didn't make the main show.

Despite being cool looking(I loved how fuzzy the toy was as a kid!)I think I only remember like two episodes from the original series with Panthor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I dunno, he's on the poster rocking some green ram's horn style head gear. Maybe he was buried in the background of episode 1. I don't think we've seen Webstor either (Also on the poster.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Ultimate Member

All the talk in the thread and the noise around this series pushed me to actually finish the series. And it was suprisingly good; the later episodes were more mature than I thought they would be.

I'm not at all sure why people are attacking Teela so much. Sure the way she acted was a bit selfish but she did have a very valid justification for her reaction; she was lied to and couldn't even mourn her friend (and perhaps her love) properly. Maybe they went a bit hard with the whole "everything is a lie" thing but her feelings weren't entirely unjustified.

The series did very much play out as the first half of a series. The over-arching storyline is incomplete and I'd love to see how they're going to overcome "Skelegod".

I hope Orko comes back though, he'd always been a goofball but this series just showed how much he's struggled with his confidence and esteem. It was actually a little painful to watch because there are a lot of people in real life struggling with the weight of expectation and always feeling like they've screwed stuff up.

The voice acting was on point for me (i could hear a little Cersei Lannister in Evil-Lyn) but Mark Hamill played Skeletor too close to his Joker. It's obvious he was trying to go over the top but he sounded too much like his Joker for me.

My major criticism of the series was the tone. Episode 2 for example dived straight into body horror which didn't exactly mesh with the rest of the series. I would have liked to have a little more He-man series, granted he did appear in a number of episodes I just hope the second half the series focuses on him more. I'd like to know more about Prince Adam and it'll be nice if the series can get a little into his head like it did Teela in the first half.

EDIT: I'm not sure about the "woke" thing at all. There was nothing like that in this series at all. No subtle statements, no overt-politics, no preachy stuff..absolutely nothing. I kind of see why Kevin Smith is so pissed off. People are literally twisting the series into something it's really not.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-28-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I assume that we saw one of his ancestors in Episode 4, in the Eternian Heaven as the prey for the hunting game they were using. If they did that callback, then Panthor probably didn't make the main show.
    Yeah, I thought that was at least a reference to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Despite being cool looking(I loved how fuzzy the toy was as a kid!)I think I only remember like two episodes from the original series with Panthor.
    I remember him popping up pretty frequently in the 2002 cartoon, especially to fight Battle Cat. He was, like, the only character on that show Skeletor treated well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not at all sure why people are attacking Teela so much. Sure the way she acted was a bit selfish but she did have a very valid justification for her reaction; she was lied to and couldn't even mourn her friend (and perhaps her love) properly. Maybe they went a bit hard with the whole "everything is a lie" thing but her feelings weren't entirely unjustified.
    I understood she was angry but I didn't think she would quite act the way she did and basically abandon everything, or at least in a way where it comes off like her lashing out. Just my opinion.
    I hope Orko comes back though, he'd always been a goofball but this series just showed how much he's struggled with his confidence and esteem. It was actually a little painful to watch because there are a lot of people in real life struggling with the weight of expectation and always feeling like they've screwed stuff up.
    Poor guy is finally useful and it's to perform a heroic sacrifice. He didn't even get to see Adam again.
    The voice acting was on point for me (i could hear a little Cersei Lannister in Evil-Lyn) but Mark Hamill played Skeletor too close to his Joker. It's obvious he was trying to go over the top but he sounded too much like his Joker for me.
    I was reminded more of the Skeleton King than Joker. Maybe when he was joking, like when he was talking about the boat during the flashback, but mostly for his villainous lines.
    My major criticism of the series was the tone. Episode 2 for example dived straight into body horror which didn't exactly mesh with the rest of the series. I would have liked to have a little more He-man series, granted he did appear in a number of episodes I just hope the second half the series focuses on him more. I'd like to know more about Prince Adam and it'll be nice if the series can get a little into his head like it did Teela in the first half.
    I think we'll definitely see Adam more prominent in the second half. Or at least I hope we will.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The same can be said for Star Wars. That's what kept that franchise alive in the 20 years between trilogies. It worked out well for it.
    Star Wars was popular with a much wilder age range than He-Man.

The old He-Man cartoon was really a show just for kids under the age of 10 or so (and it is not really one of those cartoons that older viewers would watch too). So most He-Man fans will today be probably in their late 30s to early 40s and while Star Wars has fans of any ages.

Btw. I find it kind wired when the creators complaining about "man babies" when the core audience of their IP are middle aged man, that are fans of cartoon for kindergarten/elementary school kids.

Still flying

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    All the talk in the thread and the noise around this series pushed me to actually finish the series. And it was suprisingly good; the later episodes were more mature than I thought they would be.

The series did very much play out as the first half of a series. The over-arching storyline is incomplete and I'd love to see how they're going to overcome "Skelegod".

EDIT: I'm not sure about the "woke" thing at all. There was nothing like that in this series at all. No subtle statements, no overt-politics, no preachy stuff..absolutely nothing. I kind of see why Kevin Smith is so pissed off. People are literally twisting the series into something it's really not.
    Agree with all of this. Plus we only saw half of the first season, which IMHO is Netflix's greatest mistake regarding this series. But people are judging this series and season on something that is not finished. I really think this will view better when complete.

Observations per episode:

The Power of Grayskull

- Don't all pets hate fireworks? Why is Randor on Cringer's case about that? I know I spend the Fourth of July (and the days surrounding) panicking that my little birds will suffer a heart attack and die from all that noise.

- Skeletor's most basic plan (put on a disguise and walk through the front gate works) There's a "shaping staff" Easter egg here from the episode of the same name. It was also the only classic Filmation episode to feature Faker.

- Beast Man rides in Bashasaurus, a heroic warrior vehicle. Maybe he stole it? Maybe the showrunners dropped the ball or maybe they felt smashing enemies into paste is more appropriate for the villains of the franchise.

- Man-At-Arms punches a horse. Refers to it as "this Night Mare." The original working concept name of what was later dubbed "Night Stalker."

- "Let this be our final battle!!!" dialogue taken from the original 1987 movie.

- "Smells like pine." One of the original Moss Man toy features. Lol.

- So mere seconds after the grieving parents Randor and Marlena are informed of their son's tragic death, Teela has to make it all about her. Our hero ladies and gents!

The Poisoned Chalice

- "Sorry about the mess." a Star Wars reference perhaps?

- "No glove, no love." They are referring to condoms here. Feel free to explain it to your children.

- There's a statue of Screeech behind Tri-Clops!!! Skeletor's evil falcon counterpart to Zoar! SCREEECH!

- The sword being forged in two parts, one in Preternia, one in Subternia is kind of a cool idea.

- Teela angrily interrupts the Sorceress, who sounds like she was about to either reveal Teela's destiny or her parentage here. Oh well, characters need to stay mad for the drama, even when a simple explanation would easily solve everything.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DjMichael691 View Post
    Agree with all of this. Plus we only saw half of the first season, which IMHO is Netflix's greatest mistake regarding this series. But people are judging this series and season on something that is not finished. I really think this will view better when complete.
    We got it cover and OTHER sites took over the Wikpedia page for this show. It took 4 hours to clean up the mess they made.

Articles from those sites had to be taken off.

Finally I got the time to see this show. I was a big fan of the original show and the expanded universe. So I have mixed feeling about this show, I love that the reinvention, Love the eggs, the hints, the music, some characters but.

I hate Teela.

80's Teela could be a bit harsh towards Adam but was cleary a good person, compasive who wanted to protect others and was honestly concerned about Adam safety and reputation and loved her father a lot.
    80s comics Teela was a godness, litteraly, nothing more to say.

2000 Teela was a bit of a jerk, too self aware and mocked Adam whitot compasion, but at same time wanted to protect the world and make her father proud even cared about Adam and her teasing of him could be interpreted as being a teen unable to handle her emotions.
    2000 comics Teela was like the cartoon one.

DC Comics Teela was also a jerk and sometimes a bully who shows very little respect for others, but also protected her friends when needed and has no fear to die for what she belive was right and once she knows the true about Adam and her origins, acts hurt but understanding puting the safety of the universe over her personal feelings.

But this Teela, for gods sake!

Your friend lied to you, investigate why before jumping to conclusions, stupid, selfish conclusions.
    You are not the only one who just recently discovered the fact, HIS OWN FAMILY is mourning him, show some compassion to them instead of blaming them.
    You are not a teen anymore, you were about to be called man at arms, you are supposed to be in control of your emotions, throwing a tantrum and running away is the last thing you should do.
    You had a responsability as man at arms, the king and kingdoom is counting on you, you can't just drop it because your hurt little feeelings
    Whitout He-Man the kingdoom would need more than ever a Man at arms and army to protect the people, just drooping them becuse a tantrum is the most inmature and selfish thing to do, is not just about the people who raised you, is also about those who you should be protecting.
    Your father loved and raised you, is totally ungratefull leave him alone in his worse moment, just becuse he can't tell you a secret who wasn't his to share, he has no rights about that secret blaming him is low.
    Your friends were suffering and DYING and you had your own head so stuck in your ass that you were unable to see it.
    You can't leash against people who has nothing to do with your pain, just because you are angry and they exist.
    You were angry because your friend died and you had no time to say good bye, well he is just in front of you wanting to talk, what about talking instead of trowing ANOTHER TANTRUM and make him feel miserable.
    Holding secrets about the state of his friends is not "payback" is just hurting him becuase you are bitter.
    You weren't abandoned, (if something you are the one who abandoned everyone) Adam was murdered in a painfull and traumatic way and has to deal with his own pain, is low attack and blame him about someting that WASN'T UNDER HIS CONTROL.

This Teela is all I disliked about her other interpretations whitout any of her redeming qualities. Teela whitout loyalty for his family, friends and kingdoom and whitout compassion and dessire to protect others is just... a jerk.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Finally I got the time to see this show. I was a big fan of the original show and the expanded universe. So I have mixed feeling about this show, I love that the reinvention, Love the eggs, the hints, the music, some characters but.

I hate Teela.

80's Teela could be a bit harsh towards Adam but was cleary a good person, compasive who wanted to protect others and was honestly concerned about Adam safety and reputation and loved her father a lot.
    80s comics Teela was a godness, litteraly, nothing more to say.

2000 Teela was a bit of a jerk, too self aware and mocked Adam whitot compasion, but at same time wanted to protect the world and make her father proud even cared about Adam and her teasing of him could be interpreted as being a teen unable to handle her emotions.
    2000 comics Teela was like the cartoon one.

DC Comics Teela was also a jerk and sometimes a bully who shows very little respect for others, but also protected her friends when needed and has no fear to die for what she belive was right and once she knows the true about Adam and her origins, acts hurt but understanding puting the safety of the universe over her personal feelings.

But this Teela, for gods sake!

Your friend lied to you, investigate why before jumping to conclusions, stupid, selfish conclusions.
    You are not the only one who just recently discovered the fact, HIS OWN FAMILY is mourning him, show some compassion to them instead of blaming them.
    You are not a teen anymore, you were about to be called man at arms, you are supposed to be in control of your emotions, throwing a tantrum and running away is the last thing you should do.
    You had a responsability as man at arms, the king and kingdoom is counting on you, you can't just drop it because your hurt little feeelings
    Whitout He-Man the kingdoom would need more than ever a Man at arms and army to protect the people, just drooping them becuse a tantrum is the most inmature and selfish thing to do, is not just about the people who raised you, is also about those who you should be protecting.
    Your father loved and raised you, is totally ungratefull leave him alone in his worse moment, just becuse he can't tell you a secret who wasn't his to share, he has no rights about that secret blaming him is low.
    Your friends were suffering and DYING and you had your own head so stuck in your ass that you were unable to see it.
    You can't leash against people who has nothing to do with your pain, just because you are angry and they exist.
    You were angry because your friend died and you had no time to say good bye, well he is just in front of you wanting to talk, what about talking instead of trowing ANOTHER TANTRUM and make him feel miserable.
    Holding secrets about the state of his friends is not "payback" is just hurting him becuase you are bitter.
    You weren't abandoned, (if something you are the one who abandoned everyone) Adam was murdered in a painfull and traumatic way and has to deal with his own pain, is low attack and blame him about someting that WASN'T UNDER HIS CONTROL.

This Teela is all I disliked about her other interpretations whitout any of her redeming qualities. Teela whitout loyalty for his family, friends and kingdoom and whitout compassion and dessire to protect others is just... a jerk.

I can imagine this Teela going off on the Sorceress for keeping their mother-daughter kinship a secret from her.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.