Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That movie did more damage to the He-Man brand in pop culture than this show ever will.
    That movie is regarded as a cult classic. That doesn't hurt brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    That movie is regarded as a cult classic. That doesn't hurt brands.
    Not necessarily. Things can become a cult classic for a number of reasons. Howard the Duck is a cult classic. The Room is a cult classic. If something is remembered mockingly, it's not a positive to the brand.

The movie was a critical and financial disaster. The most the general public remember the movie for is "that movie that Courtney Cox was in before Friends."
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Not necessarily. Things can become a cult classic for a number of reasons. Howard the Duck is a cult classic. The Room is a cult classic. If something is remembered mockingly, it's not a positive to the brand.

The movie was a critical and financial disaster. The most the general public remember the movie for is "that movie that Courtney Cox was in before Friends."
    It can be if the mockery is embraced. It's what Tommy Wiseau did with The Room. Adam West and William Shatner made careers by being over the top versions of themselves.

BANNED

MOTU Revelation Trailer #2 INTERPRETED by the HACK who used to work on the He-Man toy brand

Ok I'm on the episode "The Gutter Rat"...DAMN. New appreciation for Evil-Lyn.

Some random, spoilery thoughts.

spoilers:
    *Cudos where cudos is due. I liked the storyline of Evil-Lyn not only seeing Skeletor for what he really is, but also noticing with all that power he only ever wants to kill He-Man. So she wanted to take the sword not only for revenge, but to actually do something with that power. HOW she did it though...I mean...never really saw Skeletor as a sexual being, so using the bait of "power down so we can screw" (not in those words obviously)...not sure about that. But whatever, we got Grayskull-powered Evil-Lyn out of it. Wiki calls her Majestra, Scare Glow called her Dark Lyn. I'll go with Scare Glow on this.

*Evil-Lyn, er, DARK Lyn, used her power to obliterate Preternia. They made sure they got a shot of King Grayskull and Moss Man before its destruction. Then she opened the gates of Subternia, which is how we got "white mage" Orko.

*So He-Man without the sword is basically an engine of rage, identical basically to Avengers 2 Hulk. The only person who could calm him down was Randor himself by saying he wished he could have told him all along he was proud of him (while the majority of the king's men held him down to get that far to even say it to him (before He-Man broke free naturally)).

*RIP Panthor. "Bad kitty". So Skeletor did love something more than his hatred of He-Man.

*Teela is now basically the Sorceress if the Sorceress wasn't tied to Castle Grayskull. Her new outfit is a battle armor version of the Sorceress's. We're just...never gonna get that snake armor from the toy are we.

*Danny Trejo as Ram Man. Nice. Plus his legs are hydraulic springs.

*Well. Careful what you wish for. Talk about a Monkey's Paw situation. I kept saying "gee I hope we get more than 10 seconds of Clamp Champ." Oh we got him for most of an episode. Then he got turned into a monster by Skelegod and Andra used a grenade to turn him into a charred skeleton. Happened to Fisto, too (they died together in fact) but wtf. Oh and he was voiced by Method Man.

*Shout outs to the 1987 movie. Cameo by Blade, Skelegod saying to He-Man in the final episode "Let this be our final battle!"

*The cleverest thing IMO (well besides Evil-Lyn's betrayal): So that idol that Tri-Klops was worshiping was real??? Skeletor, in typical fashion, blamed his lackeys for his failure, saying none of this would have happened if they (Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw specifically) were there. Tri-Klops blamed Motherboard (the idol), Skeletor tried to blast it, and...the idol stops the blast. It then transforms into basically the Sorceress if the Sorceress was a Zord, lol, and shoots "her" tendrils into him as Tri-Klops, Trap Jaw, and the rest of the cult hold Skeletor down. Skeletor begins to be overtaken by that...circuitry liquid, and as it happens, a small door on "her" forehead opens and transmit a holographic image right above "her" head: the Evil Horde symbol.

*Next season (if there is a next season) I think Skeletor will look identical to his New Adventures of He-Man appearance.
    end of spoilers

This second part holds the distinction of somehow being simultaneously both better AND worse than the episodes that proceeded it.

spoilers:
    Pros:
    - He-Man (Adam) and Skeletor have a more substantial role this time around. Even if they are just glorified supporting characters.
    - There's considerably more action in this half than in the latter.
    - Evil-Lyn gets a pretty cool costume change as the new Sorceress, with a bat theme as opposed to the original Sorceress's Falcon.
    - Orko returns, as "Orko the White."
    - They finally start to explain what "motherboard" actually is, hinting at a sequel.
    - It's the Horde, they are teasing the Evil Horde.

Cons:
    - Teela's still pretty insufferable, but now her anger is directed to her mom instead of Adam. Watching her pout and moan really detracts from the otherwise exciting battle outside.
    - Skeletor has an evil mist that transforms people into obedient skull faced minions, but he only uses it once? What an idiot.
    - King Randor apologizes and tells Teela how "right she was to be angry with everyone." :rollseyes:
    - Skeletor loses his godlike power because he is tricked by Evil-Lyn into powering down to have sex. Never in a million years have I ever wanted to think about Skeletor as a sexual being. Not as a child, not now as an adult. Who was this for??? Nor did I believe someone who has attained Godhood would be deceived sooo easily, heck with the power of creation and the universe flowing through your veins, would you even want sex?
    - Reports of Fisto and Clamp Champ having an episode devoted solely to them were greatly exaggerated. They get possessed and then the other heroes straight up kill them! It's particularly bad for those of us who had been waiting to see Clamp Champ in action all these years. More like Clamp Chump.
    - Oh, and Fisto makes a comment about how he "sure wants to fist him." I am not joking.
    - Villains like Webstor, Clawful, Blade and Spikor are completely wasted in an embarrassing display of ineffectual combat, I know they were always losers in the old cartoon, but they could have been put to better use, particularly since the battle outside was with just a bunch of nameless monsters.(and Scareglow.)
    - That weird squid monster from the prequel comic books makes an appearance, but it's pretty non-essential to the plot, and if you didn't read the comics you wouldn't even care about it.
    - Like I predicted, Evil-Lyn turns her back on villainy and joins the heroes, and doesn't even have to pay for her past crimes. She gets another new design, now looking like a Games of Thrones character. Groan, not EVERYTHING needs a meta reference Kevin Smith.
    - Apparently, the acting Sorceress of Grayskull can rewrite the rules if she wants, YOU can leave the Castle if you just decide you want to. ("It's under new management.") I guess the previous Sorceress wasted her life.
    - Also, you don't have to go back to the afterlife if someone physically holds on to you.

Neither good nor bad:
    -Pigboy from the MOTU live action film has a small role. Take that as you will.
    - Teela looks better as a Sorceress than in her stupid mercenary costume, but I was kind of hoping she would wear the snake armor, since Evil-Lyn had that interesting Bat design, and they even showed a snake in her visions. A missed opportunity imo, but not terrible.
    - Savage "Hulk-like" He-Man is only for one episode.
    - I guess Man-At-Arms is now Teela's actual father and was in love with the Sorceress? OK sure, why not.
    - Perhaps we are going to see "New Adventures" Cyborg Skeletor in a future season? Most people treat that line as the red-head stepchild of MOTU, although I enjoyed it. Maybe he will just transform into the similar looking "Laser Light Skeletor variant.
    end of spoilers

There is alot of head slapping dumb moments in this, but it's almost in a "so bad it's kinda funny way" ala Troll 2 or the Room. So it was more enjoyable than the first part, I guess.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    spoilers:
    - Skeletor loses his godlike power because he is tricked by Evil-Lyn into powering down to have sex. Never in a million years have I ever wanted to think about Skeletor as a sexual being. Not as a child, not now as an adult. Who was this for??? Nor did I believe someone who has attained Godhood would be deceived sooo easily, heck with the power of creation and the universe flowing through your veins, would you even want sex?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    If real life mythologies are any indication, gods aren't less lustful than humans. If anything, they are moreso.

So, yeah. I can see that trick working on Skelegod even if it isn't very dignified.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

The battle scenes were crazy. But most everything else was Epic cringe...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    This second part holds the distinction of somehow being simultaneously both better AND worse than the episodes that proceeded it.

spoilers:
    Pros:
    - He-Man (Adam) and Skeletor have a more substantial role this time around. Even if they are just glorified supporting characters.
    - There's considerably more action in this half than in the latter.
    - Evil-Lyn gets a pretty cool costume change as the new Sorceress, with a bat theme as opposed to the original Sorceress's Falcon.
    - Orko returns, as "Orko the White."
    - They finally start to explain what "motherboard" actually is, hinting at a sequel.
    - It's the Horde, they are teasing the Evil Horde.

Cons:
    - Teela's still pretty insufferable, but now her anger is directed to her mom instead of Adam. Watching her pout and moan really detracts from the otherwise exciting battle outside.
    - Skeletor has an evil mist that transforms people into obedient skull faced minions, but he only uses it once? What an idiot.
    - King Randor apologizes and tells Teela how "right she was to be angry with everyone." :rollseyes:
    - Reports of Fisto and Clamp Champ having an episode devoted solely to them were greatly exaggerated. They get possessed and then the other heroes straight up kill them! It's particularly bad for those of us who had been waiting to see Clamp Champ in action all these years. More like Clamp Chump.
    - Oh, and Fisto makes a comment about how he "sure wants to fist him." I am not joking.
    - Villains like Webstor, Clawful, Blade and Spikor are completely wasted in an embarrassing display of ineffectual combat, I know they were always losers in the old cartoon, but they could have been put to better use, particularly since the battle outside was with just a bunch of nameless monsters.(and Scareglow.)
    - That weird squid monster from the prequel comic books makes an appearance, but it's pretty non-essential to the plot, and if you didn't read the comics you wouldn't even care about it.
    - Like I predicted, Evil-Lyn turns her back on villainy and joins the heroes, and doesn't even have to pay for her past crimes. She gets another new design, now looking like a Games of Thrones character. Groan, not EVERYTHING needs a meta reference Kevin Smith.
    - Apparently, the acting Sorceress of Grayskull can rewrite the rules if she wants, YOU can leave the Castle if you just decide you want to. ("It's under new management.") I guess the previous Sorceress wasted her life.
    - Also, you don't have to go back to the afterlife if someone physically holds on to you.

Neither good nor bad:
    -Pigboy from the MOTU live action film has a small role. Take that as you will.
    - Teela looks better as a Sorceress than in her stupid mercenary costume, but I was kind of hoping she would wear the snake armor, since Evil-Lyn had that interesting Bat design, and they even showed a snake in her visions. A missed opportunity imo, but not terrible.
    - Savage "Hulk-like" He-Man is only for one episode.
    - I guess Man-At-Arms is now Teela's actual father and was in love with the Sorceress? OK sure, why not.
    - Perhaps we are going to see "New Adventures" Cyborg Skeletor in a future season? Most people treat that line as the red-head stepchild of MOTU, although I enjoyed it. Maybe he will just transform into the similar looking "Laser Light Skeletor variant.
    end of spoilers

There is alot of head slapping dumb moments in this, but it's almost in a "so bad it's kinda funny way" ala Troll 2 or the Room. So it was more enjoyable than the first part, I guess.
    spoilers:
    I'm kind of surprised that God-Lynn destroyed heaven and erased all the past wielders of the Power Greyskull and Moss Man and...got to just go off on her merry way it seems.

Like, her whole motivation came down to "Skeletor used me/didn't love me, my life sucked, life is meaningless" and try to erase the universe and she gets a slap on the wrist. Also, her parents were cannibals. At least she got her hair back because she lost it when she transformed into She-Lynn even though She-Ra always kept her hair in the transformation (buff women can't have long hair?) and didn't have her hair back when she reverted even though she should've had the same hair length she did before the transformation. Personally I preferred her Sorcereress outfit.

But I guess Skeletor killed more name characters that were actually alive and so he's still the de-facto bad guy at the end of the day...even though after what happened with Clamp Champ and Fisto they still agree to work with him to stop God-Lynn and Adam even gives him the Power of Greyskull to make him see how it feels to be a hero and predictably he still tries to kill He-Man so we can get our pre-requisite He-Man and Skeletor final fight. But Skeletor already said "let this be our final battle" in the first episode so it doesn't really hit quite as much aside from bringing the finale full-circle I guess. Also "it's not about us" felt like it was calling out the fanboys for complaining about He-Man and Skeletor not being important in the first half or in general compared to Teela and co. but it didn't really make sense in-context and just felt really awkward. At least He-Man got the final blow moment.

I mean, I'm fine with villains having sex lives but it seemed kind of a bit much that Skeletor's bid for godly power was undone by his desire to get laid. Or the implication that they've had sex before and Evil-Lynn periodically makes out with a skeleton face. It was just a weird sequence.

I did take Lynn killing Panthor as personally as Skeletor did.

I think Randor was just being overly apologetic because he felt so bad but telling Teela she was right to turn her back on everything when it went to @$%^ seemed a bit much.

Poor Sorcereress abandoned her family and couldn't be in her daughter's life when she could have had it all if she'd just...wanted it more?

I liked Lynn accidentally summoning Orko along with Scareglow and company more than I do her just grabbing him so he doesn't go back to the afterlife for...reasons.

I think the villains should've been more involved in the final battle and where were the rest of the Masters of the Universe? Like, we get Danny Trejo Ram-Man which was awesome but just generics of Stratos and Buzz-Off. Like, seriously?

Also Beast-Man was a simp for the whole series and all he got for it was turning into a bigger version of Battle Cat and getting tossed off a bridge. Like, Lynn didn't even ride him in any shape or form.
    end of spoilers

Kinda reminds me of the trope I tell a joke, no one laughs, some one else says the same joke, the room roars with laughter. *shrugs*

Have at it I guess.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    The battle scenes were crazy. But most everything else was Epic cringe...
    Agree. I mean the episodes were only around 30 minutes and I was just fast forwarding Teela whining about her mommy again to get to the conclusion.

Teela "whined" for about 2 minutes in one episode. She got over it pretty quickly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Teela "whined" for about 2 minutes in one episode. She got over it pretty quickly.
    Not quickly enough for me but, if it worked for you great.

I will say Savage He-Man felt the most like the Hulk than most Hulk appearances in the past few years.