Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 LastLast

Woah that was weird!!!....I thought people were being hysterical at first, but that was....WOKE AS F! lol.

The show is called He Man and the main heroes are these muscular butch women with short cropped hair....and then Evelyn becomes the main villain by transforming into this muscle babe with short cropped hair, LMAO!

Man, if I was a seven year old boy right now, I'd be pretending to be Teela playing in the backyard!

Just curious, is it trendy now for young men to want to be in the traditional woman's role? Not that I have a problem with that....but just wondering if that's Kevin smith's lifestyle? Whoa this show tripped me out man!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    The show is called He Man
    It literally isn't called He-Man

Captain Nostalgia's drug induced rant aside;

Certain aspects of the series did feel off. The original show was over the top cheese, and Hamill as Skeletor almost feels wasted at times because we didn't get that much of Skeletor's over the top and petty evil side. Instead we got a show that tried to be more serious, yet parts of it just didn't mesh well. Like the severe lack of the Masters of the Universe. We got Ram Man at the end, a brief cameo of two others before they got zombified, and that was it.

Adam... For essentially the co-main character (besides not seeing him much in part 1), he's at least a little more different than his He-Man form than the original series. But man, for a Prince, he looks emaciated at best. It was distracting at times, in all honesty.

Teela. Well, her and Adam had been teased at since the original series, so shippers getting mad at that is their own fault. As for her being angry, well, I get it. She, and Randor for that matter, had every right to be upset that Adam being He-Man was kept from them. But for Teela to go that extra mile in the beginning was, not good. It was a bad time, and the writers should have had her talk to Duncan about it at the very least.

For Evil Lynn. Why oh why was it her that walked the line of maybe turning good maybe staying evil? Because she was magic? Or because she was the only female on team evil? Look, having a character try and find redemption is all well and good. But hand waving past actions? Wiping out their version of Heaven? And attempting to destroy everything? No. She doesn't just get to walk away. She needs to be tried and punished accordingly! Not even Skeletor was going to go that far! She got Skeletor to work with He-Man! That's how bad she was!

The action scenes, up until Hulk Adam began killing his father's own troops, were fine. Pretty good overall. But the overall narrative and a number of other issues really hurt this series for me. The 3D series does a better job, and I'm not even a fan of reboots! And for a "Masters of the Universe" series, there is a decided lack of actual Masters of the Universe.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

For anyone to say this series was good, I wonder which party is the one on drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    For anyone to say this series was good, I wonder which party is the one on drugs
    Probably not the one who actually gave an analysis beyond "muscled women with short hair equals woke and the traditional woman's role."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    It literally isn't called He-Man
    Right it's literally called "Masters of the Universe" as in ensemble cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Captain Nostalgia's drug induced rant aside;

It wasn't a rant, I'm not angry about it at all. (No reason to be rude)

It was just....different. I'm older and didn't realize we had moved into that much gender fluidity with what's essentially a kids show.

So the people calling it "woke" were right in the end, and I was wrong, I was just surprised.

It wasn't a rant, I'm not angry about it at all. (No reason to be rude)

It was just....different. I'm older and didn't realize we had moved into that much gender fluidity with what's essentially a kids show.

So the people calling it "woke" were right in the end, and I was wrong, I was just surprised.
    There was nothing "gender fluid" about Teela or Evil Lyn lol And unless you've literally time traveled, you've been around long enough to know that short hair and muscles aren't something exclusively for men and haven't been for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    There was nothing "gender fluid" about Teela or Evil Lyn lol And unless you've literally time traveled, you've been around long enough to know that short hair and muscles aren't something exclusively for men and haven't been for some time.
    Honestly I did not. I grew up in the 80's & 90's so yes I admit short cropped hair and muscled women wasn't really the norm.

In He Man Revelations the women generally play all the strong prominent protagonist and antagonist roles. He Man didn't properly show up....until the last episode! lol.

but again....I am not mad about it I was just surprised. I haven't seen a cartoon written like that before.

Honestly I did not. I grew up in the 80's & 90's so yes I admit short cropped hair and muscled women wasn't really the norm.

In He Man Revelations the women generally play all the strong prominent protagonist and antagonist roles. He Man didn't properly show up....until the last episode! lol.

but again....I am not mad about it I was just surprised. I haven't seen a cartoon written like that before.
    I'm 45 so grew up in the same era you did. My point is that it's now 2021 so, unless you were asleep for the intervening years, you would have seen the cultural shift long before this show came out. That's my point.

I kinda want to see season 2 revolve around She-Ra's gender fluidity while Hordak imparts his Critical Horde Theory on Eternia.

Jokes aside, I actually think this show was pretty good BUT ... breaking it into parts did it no favors. I'm usually a bigger proponent of "once a week" schedules but this show needed to be dropped all at once. The tonal disparity from part 1 to 2, I think, damaged the show's goodwill.

Also, I think Princesses of Power and the current He-Man kid show are doing/did the themes better than MotU:R tried to touch on.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-03-2022 at 11:55 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'm 45 so grew up in the same era you did. My point is that it's now 2021 so, unless you were asleep for the intervening years, you would have seen the cultural shift long before this show came out. That's my point.
    I'm aware of the cultural shift thank you very much...but the show seemed leaps beyond it.

When people say woke, there are usually referring to some sort of political agenda in art that refers to culture or gender.

In this case you take a show called He-Man, make all the strong protagonists and antagonists women generally leading the men, and I think it's fair to call it woke.

I mean the whole point of He - Man, is that he is a feminine sensitive boy who transforms into this uber masculine warrior to save the universe...so why would you change the formula?

Again it didn't bother me, but the people who were calling it woke turned out to be right in the end.

I'm aware of the cultural shift thank you very much...but the show seemed leaps beyond it.

When people say woke, there are usually referring to some sort of political agenda in art that refers to culture or gender.

In this case you take a show called He-Man, make all the strong protagonists and antagonists women generally leading the men, and I think it's fair to call it woke.

I mean the whole point of He - Man, is that he is a feminine sensitive boy who transforms into this uber masculine warrior to save the universe...so why would you change the formula?

Again it didn't bother me, but the people who were calling it woke turned out to be right in the end.
    They didn't? He-Man is still hyper masculine and Teela was always a warrior woman. That's the exact same formula here.

They didn't? He-Man is still hyper masculine and Teela was always a warrior woman. That's the exact same formula here.
    I didn't see that at all. He Man didn't show up until the last episode. The last episode of two seasons!!! LMAO!

I can't stop giggling when I think about it.

Imagine if your like some super hardcore middle age He Man fan, you watch two seasons of Teela in charge.....only to see He Man properly in action once in a secondary battle, because Teela is fighting Evelyn in the big battle (Being aided by a female sorceress to boot)

Heads must be exploding lol,

Thank you. "Masters of the Universe: The Woke Awakens!"