View Poll Results: Do You Like The Organic Webbing Idea?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: I think it’s a fine idea.

21 42.00%
  • No: Never liked the idea.

20 40.00%
  • I’m indifferent Towards The Idea.

9 18.00%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Because at the end of the day, it's still one invention that people get hung up on for not appearing in the films (and even when it does appear, it still somehow isn't enough for them).

Peter's invented Spider-Tracers and a metallic suit to fight the New Enforcers. These are just as if not more impressive than the web shooters yet no one complains about them not being present in the films.
    Peter has leagues of inventions more impressive than web shooters - those are just his first, most iconic, and most important ones. Comparing one-off gadgets to the ones he uses in pretty much every single comic is a clear false equivalence.

With the way you guys talk about Peter, I expect him to be a lot more versatile than that.
    He's one of the smartest heroes in comics; he's a helluva lot more versatile than just web-shooters. In a limited 2 hour movie though, spending runtime having Peter coming up with random one-off inventions is a waste of time when you can accomplish the same thing by having Peter develop tech that he actually uses all the time. The one-off inventions are much easier to do in comics where you have new stories coming out every month, unlike movies where you get one story every couple years at most.

They also had him invent other things as well and had him show off his intelligence in other way.
    No one is disagreeing with this. You have to be realistic though, that's very unlikely to happen in a film adaptation due to, as I said earlier, limited time. Peter's intelligence is already the one trait we've yet to really see at all in theaters, so cutting down on it even more with no guarantee that it'll be shown elsewhere is obviously going to be unpopular with fans of the character. I can't think of anything impressive Peter has done with his intelligence in any of the movies beyond various vague statements and sometimes web-shooter related stuff. So if we don't get the web-shooter stuff, there's basically nothing. In the hypothetical case that we get a movie where Spider-Man has organic webbing and yet Peter's intelligence is focal to the plot, it wouldn't be as big a deal, but I highly doubt that's ever going to happen since the MCU has been doing nothing but dumbing the character down.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Ultimate Member

Part of the difficulty with Peter in adaptations, in terms of showing his intelligence, is that he's not really a science-focused hero, like Tony, Bruce or Hank, so he doesn't spend as much time in the lab as he does fighting crooks, and thus it's less easy to convey his intelligence within time constraints.

Still, if he has several movies, he has more opportunities to show his inventiveness outside of creating web shooters. And really it's the webs itself which are more of an interesting invention than the shooters IMO

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Peter has leagues of inventions more impressive than web shooters - those are just his first, most iconic, and most important ones. Comparing one-off gadgets to the ones he uses in pretty much every single comic is a clear false equivalence.

He's one of the smartest heroes in comics; he's a helluva lot more versatile than just web-shooters. In a limited 2 hour movie though, spending runtime having Peter coming up with random one-off inventions is a waste of time when you can accomplish the same thing by having Peter develop tech that he actually uses all the time. The one-off inventions are much easier to do in comics where you have new stories coming out every month, unlike movies where you get one story every couple years at most.

No one is disagreeing with this. You have to be realistic though, that's very unlikely to happen in a film adaptation due to, as I said earlier, limited time. Peter's intelligence is already the one trait we've yet to really see at all in theaters, so cutting down on it even more with no guarantee that it'll be shown elsewhere is obviously going to be unpopular with fans of the character. I can't think of anything impressive Peter has done with his intelligence in any of the movies beyond various vague statements and sometimes web-shooter related stuff. So if we don't get the web-shooter stuff, there's basically nothing. In the hypothetical case that we get a movie where Spider-Man has organic webbing and yet Peter's intelligence is focal to the plot, it wouldn't be as big a deal, but I highly doubt that's ever going to happen since the MCU has been doing nothing but dumbing the character down.
    They've not done that at all.
    Peter is shown many times in the MCU to be intelligent, the idea they're dumbing him down is absurd and untrue

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Peter is shown many times in the MCU to be intelligent, the idea they're dumbing him down is absurd and untrue
    Yeah, I'm not sure how exactly he's been dumbed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

As for the fact that most people accepted it back when the Raimi films came out, I think that's a lot like the idea that Batman's bulky armor in the Nolan films is acceptable because most people didn't complain. My answer to that has always been "The general audience has never been asked for their opinion, nor have they been provided with an alternative at the time." I think the same applies to organic webbing.
    I wasn't a comic reader when the first movies came out and I had no issue with organic webbing. Bear in mind my first exposure to Spider-Man was re-runs of the 90s cartoon where he used mechanical web-shooters. If you were to ask the general public their opinion on it, I'm pretty sure their response would be either a preference for web-shooters or they have no preference whatsoever. At the very least, I doubt they'd be turned off by organic web-shooters and I'd say the lack of complaints about it is proof enough of where they stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Great point.

Organic webbing makes sense if you are making one and only Spider-Man film and no other. But it doesn't do that all the time.
    The story is about Spider-Man not Spider-Man's web shooters.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-14-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    When they run out or get broken.
    This.

It is a trope that has been with the series since day 1. It isn't used all the time, but it is there if writers wish to have the web-shooters fail or Peter run out of Web-fluid. Not having enough money to buy the chemicals to make it is another aspect that added to Peter's financial woes.

Organic rarely ran out (Peter only managed to exhaust it once in Civil War). Even Spider-man 2 had Peter's powers fail mid-swing to depict the usual scenario from the comics. If you have organic, then you'd need a limit to how much he can use in a 24hr period so you can continue to do the above.

Actually, it'd be funny if it is a metabolism type thing and Peter needs to eat a ton in order to replenish his webbing. It could be funny ala The Flash.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    This.

It is a trope that has been with the series since day 1. It isn't used all the time, but it is there if writers wish to have the web-shooters fail or Peter run out of Web-fluid. Not having enough money to buy the chemicals to make it is another aspect that added to Peter's financial woes.

Organic rarely ran out (Peter only managed to exhaust it once in Civil War). Even Spider-man 2 had Peter's powers fail mid-swing to depict the usual scenario from the comics. If you have organic, then you'd need a limit to how much he can use in a 24hr period so you can continue to do the above.

Actually, it'd be funny if it is a metabolism type thing and Peter needs to eat a ton in order to replenish his webbing. It could be funny ala The Flash.
    Theoretically they could work like that. If they're organic, his body couldn't have an inexhaustible supply of webs

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I mean, when all of the gear and inventions he normally comes up with on his own are given to him by another hero, it absolutely does dumb him down in comparison to that other hero. I don’t think that’s even debatable. He’s portrayed more as a “smart but naïve kid” than the mature and responsible scientific prodigy that he was in the comics, even as a teen.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Ultimate Member

I mean, when all of the gear and inventions he normally comes up with on his own are given to him by another hero, it absolutely does dumb him down in comparison to that other hero. I don’t think that’s even debatable. He’s portrayed more as a “smart but naïve kid” than the mature and responsible scientific prodigy that he was in the comics, even as a teen.
    I don't think all of the gear was given to him though. He already invented the webs and webshooters. Tony Stark just upgraded it, and he dumped most of that by the end of Homecoming

I just don't see Peter as a gadgeteer. Ditko and Lee had him develop some gadgets, and that has been continued to varying degrees, but his main defining characteristic has always been his heart. If you bury him beneath tons of metal, and his Aunt May is dying, he will push that metal off to go save her. Because of his decent heart. He's not doing it to go and punch the villain right away is my point.

The writers of MCU Spider-Man realized this and that is why they can get away with having Tony so involved with his tech. It doesn't matter in the end. In the end it matters that Peter wills his way through situations because he cares about people in his life. His true intelligence can come through in many ways within that context.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 06-14-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I'm just wondering why Peter being a smart engineer is even a character trait of his. No one ever expands on it. I mean really—the guy creates a revolutionary hardening substance that can stick to any surface, and then he just never does anything else with that type of knowledge...ever. And you can't even say Peter isn't industrious, since Parker Industries was a thing. Blame this oversight or ignorance on the writers and editors, but the web-shooters have become a rather redundant part of Peter's persona, unless writers are trying to play up Peter being a lazy genius, which still doesn't make sense, considering his crimefighting and former business operations.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I'm just wondering why Peter being a smart engineer is even a character trait of his. No one ever expands on it. I mean really—the guy creates a revolutionary hardening substance that can stick to any surface, and then he just never does anything else with that type of knowledge...ever. And you can't even say Peter isn't industrious, since Parker Industries was a thing. Blame this oversight or ignorance on the writers and editors, but the web-shooters have become a rather redundant part of Peter's persona, unless writers are trying to play up Peter being a lazy genius, which still doesn't make sense, considering his crimefighting and former business operations.
    It's possible that he's just coasting off his natural talents rather than any actual ambition. What were his aspirations besides being a superhero? We don't here about that a lot. Even now, he's just trying to get his degree to prove that he's not just a plagiarist.

BANNED

So nothing that actually matters, just more gripes Peter didn't sew up his own suit

Astonishing Member

Feels like nostalgia blinders here. It's notable that every single movie iteration of Peter is nicer than his comic book counterpart.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    It would be nice if Peter used his intelligence for solutions to crime besides beating up crooks