View Poll Results: Do You Like The Organic Webbing Idea?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: I think it’s a fine idea.

21 42.00%
  • No: Never liked the idea.

20 40.00%
  • I’m indifferent Towards The Idea.

9 18.00%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I'm just wondering why Peter being a smart engineer is even a character trait of his. No one ever expands on it.
    If your definition of expansion is why isn't Peter a billionaire yet, then that's not expansion.

Extraordinary Member

Webshooters for Pete. As others said it helps showcase his intelligence.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    If your definition of expansion is why isn't Peter a billionaire yet, then that's not expansion.
    I don't think he needs to be a billionaire to expand how hr uses his knowledge

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't think he needs to be a billionaire to expand how hr uses his knowledge
    Am I right in assuming you are talking about Peter getting paid for using his scientific knowledge like when he was at Horizon Labs or Science Editor at the Bugle?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Am I right in assuming you are talking about Peter getting paid for using his scientific knowledge like when he was at Horizon Labs or Science Editor at the Bugle?
    Something like that could work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Or even when he was a high school teacher.

There is at least one alt-u where he is. :P

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    There is at least one alt-u where he is. :P
    I'm pretty sure there are three.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Feels like nostalgia blinders here. It's notable that every single movie iteration of Peter is nicer than his comic book counterpart.
    I never once said that 616 Peter was a “nice” teen. He was anti-social and kind of an ******* at times. That doesn’t change the fact that he was extremely resourceful, independent, and mature - because he had to be. The MCU version is a naïve idiot who reminds me more of the protagonist of one of those live action Disney teen shows than any prior version of Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    So nothing that actually matters, just more gripes Peter didn't sew up his own suit
    Wrong. I don’t care about who made the fabric, the issue is Peter using Starktech instead of being resourceful and coming up with his own equipment and gear. It wouldn’t have been a character butchery if Stark gave Peter a new spandex suit, and then Peter developed all the gear like spider-tracers, webbing combinations, lenses, etc. as and when he needed them. Of course, the MCU clearly didn’t care or understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't think all of the gear was given to him though. He already invented the webs and webshooters. Tony Stark just upgraded it, and he dumped most of that by the end of Homecoming
    The AI, the tracers, all the webbing combinations, the Iron Spider, etc. All of those are things he should have created himself.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

I'm thinking along the lines that he could use his engineering knowledge to either create fantastical inventions or just use his technical know-how to aid him in fighting criminals (disabling machines, repurposing robots, and so on). And the billionaire direction wouldn't be far-fetched either. Why isn't Peter working with the Fantastic Four or Stark Industries? It just seems quite silly.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I'm just wondering why Peter being a smart engineer is even a character trait of his. No one ever expands on it. I mean really—the guy creates a revolutionary hardening substance that can stick to any surface, and then he just never does anything else with that type of knowledge...ever. And you can't even say Peter isn't industrious, since Parker Industries was a thing. Blame this oversight or ignorance on the writers and editors, but the web-shooters have become a rather redundant part of Peter's persona, unless writers are trying to play up Peter being a lazy genius, which still doesn't make sense, considering his crimefighting and former business operations.
    I mean, this is just blatantly false. Peter’s intelligence is essential to tons of stories - the entire Parker Industries status quo (which you mentioned yourself) being one of many. There’s also the Horizon Labs era, the various eras he’s spent as a grad student, Tricorp Labs, etc. Even going all the way back to Stan Lee’s run, one of the major recurring themes is that Peter would face villains who outclassed him in sheer power, so he’d usually have to either outwit them in battle, or come up with a scientific solution to deposed/defeat them.

If you’re discussing the lack of progress in Peter’s personal life, that’s a completely different matter and I do completely agree with you. I am absolutely tired of Peter progressing in one way or another, and then immediately getting shifted back to a broke, single, loser whenever the run ends.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I mean, this is just blatantly false. Peter’s intelligence is essential to tons of stories - the entire Parker Industries status quo (which you mentioned yourself) being one of many. There’s also the Horizon Labs era, the various eras he’s spent as a grad student, Tricorp Labs, etc. Even going all the way back to Stan Lee’s run, one of the major recurring themes is that Peter would face villains who outclassed him in sheer power, so he’d usually have to either outwit them in battle, or come up with a scientific solution to deposed/defeat them.

If you’re discussing the lack of progress in Peter’s personal life, that’s a completely different matter and I do completely agree with you. I am absolutely tired of Peter progressing in one way or another, and then immediately getting shifted back to a broke, single, loser whenever the run ends.
    I'm speaking about his engineering/chemistry "background" more specifically, and how Peter never seems to grow or utilize that side of his persona.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 06-16-2021 at 11:06 AM.

organic webbing is less fun and that's the end of that
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Peter Parker: No. Definitely Not. I loved the fact that he created his web shooters. It also gives him the reason for the iconic shooting pose

Miguel O'Hara: Yes

All other spinoffs: Don't care

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I never once said that 616 Peter was a “nice” teen. He was anti-social and kind of an ******* at times. That doesn’t change the fact that he was extremely resourceful, independent, and mature - because he had to be.
    That's the problem I'm having with your definition.

He was independent because he was anti-social. While some of it was because of bullying, he gave people reasons to not like him. The fact that he was an ******* disqualifies him from being considered mature.