View Poll Results: Do You Like The Organic Webbing Idea?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: I think it’s a fine idea.

21 42.00%
  • No: Never liked the idea.

20 40.00%
  • I’m indifferent Towards The Idea.

9 18.00%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Thoughts On Organic Webbing?

What’s your thoughts on the idea of Spider-Man using organic webs as opposed to simply building his own webshooters? We know that the Raimi Spider-Man movies went with the idea of organic webshooters(an idea taken from James Cameron’s Spider-Man treatment) and the comics for awhile actually integrated the organic webbing for awhile before it was retconned out. This has always been a subject of controversy amongst old school fans of the comics who feel that this change stripped away Peter’s ingenuity therefore made him less smart. Raimi’s reasoning for this change was that it would hurt the audiences suspension of disbelief if Peter Parker wasn’t able to create such a advanced piece of machinery that no other tech company with millions of dollars of resources at their disposal would be able to make all by his lonesome, and I can sort of buy that argument.

I’m in the minority that liked the organic web-shooters and thought it made perfect sense for that version of the story but where do many of you fall?
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 06-10-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Don't like it. Makes my wrists itch.

It's fine for the Raimi trilogy, not something I wanted more of that it makes it way to the comics. I'm glad they went back to mechanical.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Don't like it. Makes my wrists itch.
    Saw your name as last reply and expected that Batman mask picture, but I guess that avatar is old news now.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member

I don't like it as much, for a few reasons:

1. Artificial webbing showcases Peter's intelligence better.

2. Artificial webbing gives Spider-Man more variety and makes him more of a trickster. Things like the Insomniac gadgets, or the web he designed to melt Rhino's armor and to insulate him from Electro, are harder to include and feel less believable when you're stuck with organics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

2. Artificial webbing gives Spider-Man more variety and makes him more of a trickster. Things like the Insomniac gadgets, or the web he designed to melt Rhino's armor and to insulate him from Electro, are harder to include and feel less believable when you're stuck with organics.
    I agree with your assessment, but I think both points could easily be rolled into one cause 2 kinda elaborates on 1.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    It's fine for the Raimi trilogy, not something I wanted more of that it makes it way to the comics. I'm glad they went back to mechanical.

Saw your name as last reply and expected that Batman mask picture, but I guess that avatar is old news now.
    HA! Lol, Yeah that was a wacky avatar pic that I still enjoy. Wanted to try something new though, but I'm always keeping that Batman mask picture saved on my PC juuuust incase.

It's not that big of a deal to me, but I wished there was an explanation for how anyone with organic webbing is able to shoot web-balls/impact webbing from their wrists.

Ultimate Member

I don't mind the organic webbing. I can go either way.

I think both are fine; in the movie, it was a logical streamlining of the origin story. Otherwise, the shooters open the door for tinkering with the fluid and making different varieties.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

thought it was cool and made sense then again I watch that movie when I was 7. after learning of the web shooters though I still like organic. I just question the durability of the web shooters
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Only if it shoots out his butt like a real spider.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    What’s your thoughts on the idea of Spider-Man using organic webs as opposed to simply building his own webshooters? We know that the Raimi Spider-Man movies went with the idea of organic webshooters(an idea taken from James Cameron’s Spider-Man treatment) and the comics for awhile actually integrated the organic webbing for awhile before it was retconned out. This has always been a subject of controversy amongst old school fans of the comics who feel that this change stripped away Peter’s ingenuity therefore made him less smart. Raimi’s reasoning for this change that it would hurt the audiences suspension of disbelief if Peter Parker wasn’t able to create such a advanced piece of machinery that no other tech company with millions of dollars of resources at their disposal would be able to make all by his lonesome,and I can sort of buy that argument.

I’m in the minority that liked the organic web-shooters and thought it made perfect sense for that version of the story but where do many of you fall?
    I think the web-shooters make more sense, especially if you treat Spider-Man as a serialized character.

When Cameron and later Raimi were thinking of Spider-Man, they were thinking of the first film and they decided to do all they can to make the first Spider-Man movie work, and their choices make sense going into Spider-Man 1 as a standalone film. So in Spider-Man 1, the first film, if you see that as a standalone, the first and only Spider-Man movie...then organic webbing makes sense there. But on the whole it doesn't work very well.

Take the Symbiote. In the comics, the first time Spider-Man ever got "organic webbing" was when he got the Symbiote which gave him that special power. It was an obvious example of the temptation of the suit and its great and mysterious power. Now in the third Spider-Man movie, the Symbiote made no difference because he had organic webbing before, so that meant that as an audience the temptation of the suit in making Peter a more powerful, resourceful and dangerous Spider-Man...and consequently Venom as an even more dangerous and deadly opponent, that whole part was lost. So organic webbing is subtractive and doesn't work in the long-term.

Organic webbing also overly literalizes the sexual metaphor which was obviously what Spider-Man 2 ran with, making the loss of webbing a symbol of impotency. I'm not a prude to be against that but I do think that metaphor works better unstated then if it's presented baldly as a direct dramatic plotpoint.

Agreed. Web-shooters also give suspense and drive up stakes, and adds an element of keeping Spider-Man an underdog. Like Peter being almost out of webbing in a fight, or being so out of webbing that he can't swing or needing to make webbing out of weak chemicals and so on and all kinds of financial and plot hurdles it introduces fades away with organic webbing.

On an overall level, the title is "Spider-Man" and not Human Spider, and Peter's never gotten each and every Spider ability (no poison for instance). Having Peter create his own webbing emphasizes the "Man" showing that a human being evolution means that Peter doesn't have to organically produce the webbing anymore.

I feel that you're working with the assumption that Pete won't make gadgets to use as tools for crimefighting. Is he "stuck with" using just the organic webbing or can he use both? 'cause he kind of does use both in the times when he has organic webbing. So it's not fully a choice of A or B. Heck if enemies expect natural webbing and you use something else? well that's a good way to surprise them.

In the fictional context.... um... I often wondered why he DIDn'T have organic webbing in the first place. The explanation of him just instinctively figuring it out was... strange to say the least. It's in part some weird instinct caused by the transformation, and only partly skill. Oh yeah, also... Man-spider has organic webbing anyways! Oh! also... Venom has organic webbing. Is it just Symbiote goop? Pretty sure the answer is no.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    In the fictional context.... um... I often wondered why he DIDn'T have organic webbing in the first place.
    Obviously the idea of a dude secreting webs from his wrist was seen as a touch too creepy, even for Ditko.

The explanation of him just instinctively figuring it out was... strange to say the least.
    Well the explanation was simply that Peter was a science nerd and science nerd invented the webbing.

It's in part some weird instinct caused by the transformation, and only partly skill.
    Writers haven't explored that in general, i.e. whether Peter was working on the webbing formula before the accident or afterwards.

Oh! also... Venom has organic webbing. Is it just Symbiote goop? Pretty sure the answer is no.
    Donny Cates' run has stuff on that.

Not necessary, at least for Peter.