View Poll Results: Do You Like The Organic Webbing Idea?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: I think it’s a fine idea.

21 42.00%
  • No: Never liked the idea.

20 40.00%
  • I’m indifferent Towards The Idea.

9 18.00%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but it's part of showing off his creativity and resourcefulness.
    I get that. But part of the question is whether he's not intelligent enough without inventing webs.

Astonishing Member

Peter was able to create different types of webbing according to the villain he's fighting, so I believe he should keep the webshooters. However, organic webbing would be useful when it comes one of those classic moments when Spidey run out of web fluid at the worst time; like falling from a high height or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I get that. But part of the question is whether he's not intelligent enough without inventing webs.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think it hurts.

Ultimate Member

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think it hurts.
    Obviously it helps. But I think organic webbing wouldn't necessarily mean he's not smart

Obviously it helps. But I think organic webbing wouldn't necessarily mean he's not smart
    True, but I don't think it has the same impact or shows off the character quite like web-shooters.

Ultimate Member

True, but I don't think it has the same impact or shows off the character quite like web-shooters.
    I guess so

I like them. but at this point, maybe let Miles develop organic webs, since he has other "non-traditional" powers.

I doubt editorial will let Peter have organic webs again in the near future..

How many Spiders have organic webbing?

Silk, Miguel, Gwen needs her Symbiote, and Anya I think?

I know, just adding in my two cents .
    Does Mayhem/April Parker (from MC2) count? She was a spider/symbiote hybrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Honestly, most writers are already doing that. I wouldn't say most Spider-Man stories rely solely on webshooters to display his intelligence. A lot of the alternatives to webshooters being brought up (using the environment to your advantage, curing the Lizard, having a job as a scientist, etc.) are stuff that 616 Spider-Man already does or has done before.
    And the fact he doesn't have webshooters as his ONLY gadget that he uses. "Inventive" characters do the inventing more than once, and Pete is no exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Having organic webbing removed far too much drama from having his webbing run out mid-swing or while fighting opponents. But web-shooters, web fluid and how Peter applies them in different situations helps showcase that he actually is a genius.
    I dunno, I always felt that the number of web fluid canisters Pete had was the least important plot device in Spider-man stories.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I like them. but at this point, maybe let Miles develop organic webs, since he has other "non-traditional" powers.

I doubt editorial will let Peter have organic webs again in the near future..
    That could help Miles have more of his own identity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Other characters calling Peter a genius would do it. It's generally speaking not good storytelling of course, but yeah it communicates stuff. We are told in the MCU movies that Peter is smart and intelligent but we don't actually see any of that in action because producers like bug-eyed Tom Holland 'fraidy cat close-ups too much.

Storytelling isn't just about communication. It's about form, style, presentation. In a superhero comic, all the stuff like gadgets, costume, and so on, which isn't elaborated upon, is a form of storytelling.

There's this assumption that "streamlining" something is an ideal thing but it's worth questioning. Is something being "streamlined":
    [a] inherently a good thing?
    [b] inherently necessary?
    [c] is there a cost to it? A trade-off?

Peter not creating his own web-shooters and web-fluid, and also his own costume, makes the character less resourceful and likewise it leads to plots where the fight with the villains become these slugfests bailed out by spider-sense and/or heart-to-heart stuff. You look at Raimi's Spider-Man movies, Peter defeats Goblin by means of Spider-Sense, in the case of Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man 2, he has a heart-to-heart with Otto. In Spider-Man 3, heart-to-heart with Sandman, bailed out by Harry (also Heart-to-Heart'd to good) and then finally a Spider-Sense insight allows him to twig that noise breaks up the Symbiote.

I am not saying that's good or bad, I am just saying that in the Raimi movies, Spider-Man never defeats his opponents by outsmarting them or tricking them. (The Post-Raimi movies usually have Peter have a support crew, Garfield has Emma Gwen, the Holland movies has him inherit Iron Man's supporting cast and Miles Morales' supporting cast). And you can trace that back to the decision to dial down the obvious sign of Peter's scientific smarts by giving him organic webbing in the first movie, and then having him swipe Osborn tech in the Garfield movies, and have Tony Stark create the classic Spider-Man costume and web-shooters in the MCU movies.

Streamlining stuff to make stuff more comprehensible or simpler in adaptation terms can be a good thing so long as you do it in a way that doesn't close off further stories or possibilities down the line. Streamline too much and you end up with the wretched mess that was Ultimate Marvel where everything was tied to SHIELD and Ultimate Nick Fury at the expense of the characters that readers paid to follow and are emotionally invested in, and that meant that villains were all connected to Osborn, to Ock, to SHIELD and so on, and that makes the world feel far smaller and less unpredictable.. In the case of MCU, they streamlined stuff to make Spider-Man into an Iron-Man subfranchise, and the result is MCU Spider-Man feels like he's a subfranchise to a character vastly inferior in every respect to him and you have a version of Spider-Man who doesn't feel like he can tie his own shoelaces.
    You know you can not like the MCU version but good God stop downplaying everything he does and trying to make him look as clueless and dumb as possible, just about everything you've said is either false, highly exaggerated or flat out made up.
    Last edited by Metro; 06-12-2021 at 08:35 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    You know you can't not like the MCU version...

...but good God stop downplaying everything he does and trying to make him look as clueless and dumb as possible...

...,just about everything you've said is either false, highly exaggerated or flat out made up.

Ultimate Member

Do all Spider-threads devolve into this?

BANNED

Do all Spider-threads devolve into this?
    "Devolve?"

My dude this is the highest stage of evolution of Spider-threads. The apotheosis. The summit. The moon-landing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Stuff like this just shows you are only interested in talking in bad faith

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Stuff like this just shows you are only interested in talking in bad faith
    Someone who barges in a thread simply to insult me and offer no opinion on the OP has forfeited all right to talk about bad faith.