Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Children of the Atom LGBTQA+ Theory - Spoilers maybe?

So not sure how long to wait where spoilers count but just in case

So we know there are at least two members of the alphabet mafia represented but I think there is 3. A lot of people think the A in LGBTQA+ stands for Allies, it doesn't. Its Asexual, Did Benny, Marvel Guy, strike anyone else as asexual? Nice under the radar if that is the case. Very true to life, its not a huge thing it just is part of life. I love the matter of factness so far in the LGBTQA+ representation in Children of the Atom.
    Last edited by dragon1440; 06-10-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post

So we know there are at least two members of the alphabet mafia represented but I think there is 3. A lot of people think the A in LGBTQA+ stands for Allies, it doesn't. Its Asexual, Did Buddy strike anyone else as asexual? Nice under the radar if that is the case. Very true to life, its not a huge thing it just is part of life. I love the matter of factness so far in the LGBTQA+ representation in Children of the Atom.
    doesn't she have a crush on the basketball player? this was like ten pages in the first issue

So we know there are at least two members of the alphabet mafia represented but I think there is 3. A lot of people think the A in LGBTQA+ stands for Allies, it doesn't. Its Asexual, Did Buddy strike anyone else as asexual? Nice under the radar if that is the case. Very true to life, its not a huge thing it just is part of life. I love the matter of factness so far in the LGBTQA+ representation in Children of the Atom.
    I thought the same thing about Buddy when he was like he isn't into anyone like that, This was my book of the week. The weakest issue of the series but still a 5 star in my opinion. Vita is just such a good writer. Their artist is so damn lucky.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Honestly have been sort of confused by this.

I agree that Benny is asexual. (I assume that's who you're talking about. Buddy talked on page about being into Gabe.)

Carmen is a confirmed lesbian, but in the first issue, Buddy mentions being into Gabe but not wanting to interfere with him and Carmen, who "connect on another level". I was under the impression Gabe and Carmen were dating from that and then Carmen seems like an out lesbian now?

Extraordinary Member

I think a bit of the dynamics changed between issue #1 and #3 along with some of the plot rewrites, so something got lost along the way with regards to who Buddy did not want to get between.

As for Benny, who knows, but I think the story makes it clear his lack of relationships or interest in others is due to his father abandoning him and there is nothing giving any insight into how he views himself or any lack of desire that would not change if the other factor was dealt with.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    doesn't she have a crush on the basketball player? this was like ten pages in the first issue
    Meant to type Benny . Marvel Guy. Not sure how to edit original post...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I think a bit of the dynamics changed between issue #1 and #3 along with some of the plot rewrites, so something got lost along the way with regards to who Buddy did not want to get between.

As for Benny, who knows, but I think the story makes it clear his lack of relationships or interest in others is due to his father abandoning him and there is nothing giving any insight into how he views himself or any lack of desire that would not change if the other factor was dealt with.
    Benny, sorry, said in one page that when he said I dont like anyone like that, and anyone was bolded. But I had not thought of the father abandonment angle.

This title started out strongly but is nosediving just as quickly
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    This title started out strongly but is nosediving just as quickly
    See I think it gets better the longer it goes. The only part I have not liked so far is the random spaceship appearing then not really being that important to overall story. The character development though is on point and very relateable if your part of a minority group of any sort, but even more so if your lgbtqa+ like me.

Extraordinary Member

The writer confirmed Marvel Guy is asexual.

Also confirmed Gimmick as lesbian in the issue.

The first issue was narrated by Buddy, the Cyclops girl. She seems confused on who Gimmick likes. Getting Gimmicks feelings wrong.

That’s pretty much it.

See I think it gets better the longer it goes. The only part I have not liked so far is the random spaceship appearing then not really being that important to overall story. The character development though is on point and very relateable if your part of a minority group of any sort, but even more so if your lgbtqa+ like me.
    Nah not feeling it atm, the mystery of if they are mutants etc is gone, though I love character development and interaction is good I also like action to which there has been none for virtually two issues.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    The writer confirmed Marvel Guy is asexual.

Also confirmed Gimmick as lesbian in the issue.

The first issue was narrated by Buddy, the Cyclops girl. She seems confused on who Gimmick likes. Getting Gimmicks feelings wrong.

That’s pretty much it.
    I thought Buddy was going to come out as gender fluid or non-binary at some point, but we shall see.

I DEFINITELY thought Carmen was in the closet based on Buddy not knowing, but this past issue made it seem like it was common knowledge.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 06-11-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Astonishing Member

Full disclosure it’s really not my lane, but I would speculate there’s probably something to be said about default assumptions if Buddy and Carmen are both gay but Buddy thinks Carmen’s straight just because she hasn’t actually confined it?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I thought Buddy was going to come out as gender fluid or non-binary at some point, but we shall see.

I DEFINITELY thought Carmen was in the closet based on Buddy not knowing, but this past issue made it seem like it was coming knowledge.
    Carmen says she never "came out to you", that could mean Benny or the group as a whole. Also, the emphasis could be on 'came out' and not 'to you', as in she just thought everyone picked up on it and left it unspoken.

I am sure most of this will sort itself out sooner than later once the first arc is over at least, well I hope it continues past that.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

They really, really, really want this to be Young Avengers huh