Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

You can string as many letters as you want, but you can't get me to engage with these characters.
    My flag is bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Full disclosure it’s really not my lane, but I would speculate there’s probably something to be said about default assumptions if Buddy and Carmen are both gay but Buddy thinks Carmen’s straight just because she hasn’t actually confined it?
    Buddy isn't gay as far as we know. She says that she is in love with Gabe.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    LGBT characters are fine, but making characters LGBT instead of making the characters actually interesting is lazy. The weird at best mutant fixation and at worst blackface aspects of COTA doesn't change whether a character is gay or not
    Ok, but why comment on it like that then? You can not like the book and appreciate the representation instead of acting like representation & making the book interesting were mutually exclusive lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    You can string as many letters as you want, but you can't get me to engage with these characters.
    Well, that criticism of the book really didn't need the casual homophobia with it.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-11-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Because it's very obvious they're doing it because they really, really, really want it to be Young Avengers but the X-Men, but seemingly decided that the parts that made that series work best were costumes that are like other heroes and the diversity, while forgetting that the biggest strength of that book was Heinbergs writing, which this doesn't even come close to.

It's not as cynically headline grabbing desperate as the dead-before-arrival New Warriors reboot was, I'll give it that, but it really sticks out as not really fitting in with the rest of the X-line. Feels very fanficy.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 06-11-2021 at 08:47 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I don't see a review thread for #4; I'll think about it if nothing pops up later.

As for the LGBT+ content, it's not really in your face.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post

Ok, but why comment on it like that then? You can not like the book and appreciate the representation instead of acting like representation & making the book interesting were mutually exclusive lol.

Well, that criticism of the book really didn't need the casual homophobia with it.
    It's not homophobic, I'm just pointing out that making these characters gay does not help the fact that they're not interesting to me.
    My flag is bacon.

It's not homophobic, I'm just pointing out that making these characters gay does not help the fact that they're not interesting to me.
    100% its way too much, like GOTG a few months ago before issue #13, yes we get it, there are gay characters. As soon as you mention anything slightly negative about it though you are homophobic.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Hahaha that's like pulling the race card, omg too funny. This title started off really good but there is way to much character interaction and not enough action, if they find the right balance it will go really well.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Hahaha that's like pulling the race card, omg too funny. This title started off really good but there is way to much character interaction and not enough action, if they find the right balance it will go really well.
    Better art would help.
    My flag is bacon.

Extraordinary Member

The character interaction has definitely been given more focus than the action, but most of the issues probably have almost 8-10 pages of 'action'. The slow reveal might be dragging it down as I can see where it is hard to care about the interaction, and maybe even the action, without knowing exactly who we are caring about and why and I think they should have described the book as a group of X-Men idolizing human friends and then hit the readers with the upcoming twist.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    100% its way too much, like GOTG a few months ago before issue #13, yes we get it, there are gay characters. As soon as you mention anything slightly negative about it though you are homophobic.
    When you tie the negativity to the presence of LGBT characters is the problem lol.

"You can string as many letters as you want" was what I took issue with lol.

When you tie the negativity to the presence of LGBT characters is the problem lol.

On the other hand, when you believe the letters should be used as a shield against any and all criticism; that is also a problem. A LOT of people have stated reasons why they don't like the book as well as other titles, few of which have to due with whether or not any of them are LGBT.
    My flag is bacon.

On the other hand, when you believe the letters should be used as a shield against any and all criticism; that is also a problem. A LOT of people have stated reasons why they don't like the book as well as other titles, few of which have to due with whether or not any of them are LGBT.
    It’s not a shield against any and all criticism. Personally I think this book is kinda slow and confusingly nonlinear. The problem is when people continually blame LGBT representation for the book being bad, or reference it when talking about the book being bad like those are connected.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

When they're using it as a substitute for actually interesting stories, yes it's an issue. New Warriors patted itself on the back so hard the book literally never saw print.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    When they're using it as a substitute for actually interesting stories, yes it's an issue. New Warriors patted itself on the back so hard the book literally never saw print.
    The book practically reads the exact same as if none of what you are going on about was in it. It is a non-factor to the story and no one is hyping the book up as if the representation in it is the reason to read it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It’s not a shield against any and all criticism. Personally I think this book is kinda slow and confusingly nonlinear. The problem is when people continually blame LGBT representation for the book being bad, or reference it when talking about the book being bad like those are connected.
    Well the book is slow but it has better pacing than New Mutants and Excalibur but I don't get the 'confusingly non-linear' part.
    "Cable was right!"