Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Isn’t Chamber’s appearance BECAUSE of his mutation destroying his body? So even if he was rez’ed with an intact face his powers would just destroy it again, anyway.
    It was, though it was the pressure from his psionic energy's being unable to escape that ripped his face chest and organs out. He's gained much more control with his powers since then, so has the potential to keep his face at least (if not his chest) if they helped him through a rez. Give him his face but a hole in his chest to avoid the pressure cooker that ripped him apart. They have healers and reality warpers to help. Tech experts who could create a chest brace like the one he wore in AOA to control the energy. Psychics who can help control his psionic self. It makes me wonder if they resurrected him without his jaw, chest and organs. Or he exploded again, which I hope it was the first as that is traumatic as hell.

Don't get me wrong I don't necessarily want him to change. I love him as he is, and always will no matter what he looks like. Even when he was an apocalyptic blueberry. I've related to him for decades as I suffer from facial eczema that can flare up badly. He helped me feel cool wearing scalves to hide it

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColossusFan View Post
    Not the same..not even close..

Try being able to see, then going blind..then something comes along that can give you sight again

Or starting with 2 eyes, then losing one.. and something comes along and you can have your eye back

Yeah, I can imagine all of you being like " nope, I'm good with one eye thanks"..give me a f@$king break
    Dude I can't ride a bike or legally/illegally drive a car without wearing my glasses. Get a clue before spouting off.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I wasn’t even going to get involved in the conversation when I first saw it. I knew exactly why vita or marvel or both, did it. But seeing all the posts about ableist ‘discussion’, well, I was honestly surprised by how much it was pissing me off. ‘we love disabled people and think you should bring pain forever! You can’t possibly be your true self any other way.’ But apparently me and my crushed foot are ableist (for the other side gatekeepers out there keeping track,) for even entertaining the idea of having a limb back the way you had it ‘before’.
    My point wasnt that all disabled people feel that way. Your perfectly valid in wanting it back, but it should not be the norm that they HAVE to have it back or that anyone is owed an explanation for wanting to keep it prosthetics. You can have a disability and want it gone, you could have a disability and want to keep it. What becomes abelist is when a person who never had a disability decides for a disabled person what they should or shouldnt want, because to be disabled is not normal therefore its wrong and you shouldnt want to keep a disability. Its up to the disabled person, and no one is owed an explanation.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    I was going to sit this whole thing out till I saw this post. Kudos for getting me off the sidelines.

I think the "problem" (used very loosely) people have, which was also a question I had, was the in-story telling of how the resurrection process supposedly works and the fact that it appears to conflict with Karma's prosthesis. This is based on the assumption that when they are hatched, they come out "full". Not sure there has been anything contrary to this belief/assumption.

That said, the above (as well as some of the stuff people have shared about being differently abled) has addressed my question.

NB: To all who have shared their experiences, both first and secondhand, thanks. For me, some of the stuff shared were rather insightful and I personally hadn't considered the particular view.
    I also think there needs to be some in story clarification but base on the fact that the 5 did make some minor adjustments to Quentin Quire's physical traits based on his request it seems like they could have also done the same thing for Karma and have her body be similar to what it was before she entered the Crucible.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 06-11-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    No one is saying a big deal needs to be made out of it... but waving it all away like it's nothing is dismissive and, frankly, lazy writing. What you wrote in your previous posts makes a lot of sense to me... because you took the time to discuss it and explain it. If a writer chooses to have a character make a choice that's arguably controversial, or do something you wouldn't necessarily expect of them, it's a writer's job to take my hand and walk me through the journey. That's why we read about these characters after all, because we are invested in them and want to know why they do the things they do.

I don't have first-hand knowledge with missing legs so I'll make an example with what I know: when Bobby came out as gay, several pages were devoted to what was going on in his head, why he kept it hidden all these years, etc. As a gay man myself, I knew exactly what he was going through, could relate to the decisions he made and the reasons why he kept it a secret all this time, and didn't strictly need it to get it spelled out over several pages. Because my own personal experience allowed me to relate.

In that case, like in Shan's case, the writer was taking the character on a path most readers wouldn't necessarily expect them to go. And yes, missing a leg and being gay are 2 vastly different things, however in both cases it's the writer's job to sell readers on a character's decision when it's particularly controversial or it's something most people wouldn't understand. Just like I didn't expect Bobby to suddenly make out with boys with no explanation, as a reader I'm invested in understanding Shan's decision to keep a prosthetic leg. If the writer doesn't take me through that journey, I can't just accept it: perhaps my mind is too small but I can't put myself in the shoes of, well, every single person who has something different from me. Pretending that readers can do that and feigning offense when someone says "I don't understand why she would do that" is frankly terribly dismissive and lazy.
    Lets take the oppisite view and use the gay issue as example. Since I have personal experience with that myself being a nonbinary queer drag queen. I hate it when a writer takes pages to say something that could be summed up in one page because it "character development" because that is like hitting me over the head with the info, instead of allowing me to draw my own conclusions for one. But also real life is not that way for many many people, espically in the current generation. If you come out as gay its like oh I am gay, oh ok. Cool and move on. A big deal doesnt have to be made of everything and thats truer to real life when it is not. GREATEST EXAMPLE of how to do this matter of fact not a big deal way and yet still have it being powerful is star trek discovery. When Adira came out to Stamets as nonbinary. Statmets was just huh, okay. Move on. A part of someone no matter what part it is disability, race, gay, should not need big fire works because its just day to day for them/us.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Dude I can't ride a bike or legally/illegally drive a car without wearing my glasses. Get a clue before spouting off.
    What does that have to do with anything?..get a clue about what's actually being talked about. You're comparing wearing glasses to losing a part of your body..

Put yourself in a situation that actually compares..

now go ahead and lie and tell me if you lost an eye how you wouldn't want to be resurrected with two

Is this the first time that Laura has called Daken by his actual name? I can’t think of a time before now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Is this the first time that Laura has called Daken by his actual name? I can’t think of a time before now.
    As far as I know it is.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColossusFan View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?..get a clue about what's actually being talked about. You're comparing wearing glasses to losing a part of your body..

Put yourself in a situation that actually compares..

now go ahead and lie and tell me if you lost an eye how you wouldn't want to be resurrected with two
    I'm not responding to your moronic argument any more than to say Marvel is within it's rights to tell people like you to buzz off.

I still can't get over how hideous that outfit is. It looks like something you'd see from a sewing challenge on Drag Race, where they were only allowed to use things like couch cushions to make an outfit out of. She wrapped herself in them instead because she can't sew. ITS SEASON 14 WHY WOULD YOU COME ON THIS SHOW IF YOU CAN'T SEW YOU KNOW THERE WILL BE SEWING CHALLENGES!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Not every disabled persons greatest desire is to not be disabled anymore.
    Easy for you to say when you haven't had it before....

Have you lost a leg or hand or eye before? If you have, then only then tell me after they put on an artificial one for you and compare with the real one.

Nobody wants an artificial heart (heart pacemaker), eye, legs or hand. They are just not as good.

God's invention is always better than artificial ones.

Sometimes, this place really bums me out…
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.