Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    I speak from a place of a complete lack of both empathy and information - I just want my comic book characters to not act like such complete and utter dunces, so as to willingly and needlessly cripple a perfectly healthy woman for the sake of representation.
    It makes all involved look insane.
    So.... As a disabled person both mental and physical disability i am going to insert something based on personal knowledge, not lack of knowledge and just wanting comics to be easy. 1. Not every disabled person sees thenselves as disabled, just differently abled. We beed to remove the idea that disabled people are less then abled and just differently abled. 2. Often times after having lived with a disability often times that disabilty becomes part of our core personality. So by giving her two legs when at this point would be erasing part of her core personality. It woulld be like me having my bipolar cured all of a sudden its such a core part of me at this point that it ironically would be liking losing a limb. Maybe ishe doesnt want a flesh leg back because she is proud of the disability and how it made her stronger. Its time people stopped thinking disability means less then, it just means different then.

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    So.... As a disabled person both mental and physical disability i am going to insert something based on personal knowledge, not lack of knowledge and just wanting comics to be easy. 1. Not every disabled person sees thenselves as disabled, just differently abled. We beed to remove the idea that disabled people are less then abled and just differently abled. 2. Often times after having lived with a disability often times that disabilty becomes part of our core personality. So by giving her two legs when at this point would be erasing part of her core personality. It woulld be like me having my bipolar cured all of a sudden its such a core part of me at this point that it ironically would be liking losing a limb. Maybe ishe doesnt want a flesh leg back because she is proud of the disability and how it made her stronger. Its time people stopped thinking disability means less then, it just means different then.
    Had karma spent her entire life, or at least a very large part of it without her leg, I'd concede the point - but karma only lost her leg in battle a fairly short time ago in universe.

I don't buy that her missing a leg works become part of her character to such a degree in such a short time, that she'd willingly cripple herself again just to keep it.

The mutants have created a civilization that transcended death itself - why would disabilities be a hang up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    They should start to consider that it might not be a good idea to have only a single person around who is designing their fashion. Especialy since he has neither a consistent style or established element to his creations. His greatest claim to fame before Krakoa was dying from an overdose and being used by Quentin Quire to throw a temper tantrum with some other students at Xavier's school. It often feels like if he wasn't a mutant he would have been considered just another mediocre artist meeting an all too common end, but since he is a mutant he gets brought back quickly thanks to nepotistic interests by Emma Frost and is suddently considered some kind of fashion genious.
    That's because this is superhero comics and not real life.

Similar to teams having one resident smart guy who is good at everything, they now have one designer who creates all of their clothing.

Of course, over time more smart guys have been added, so maybe the same will happen on the fashion side if the interest in that area stays strong among the actual creatives.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I thought that man Yana was talking to was Jonathan Van Ness (Who I believe was confirmed as a Gala attendee), and I was so confused as to why he was talking so slimy.
    It's not Van Ness. Van Ness is not an installation artist.

Astonishing Member

So gabby frequently riges toilets with cherry bombs ? She would be fun at partys

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

During my ban you people have no idea how infuriating it's been seeing people talk about the importance of representation and the mutant metaphor in some threads and then when it comes to disabilities wonder why every disabled character doesnt immediately lose theirs the second they go to Krakoa. Constantly pushing that this couldn't be a utopian society if people still have disabilities is not the take you think it is.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 06-11-2021 at 04:55 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    Had karma spent her entire life, or at least a very large part of it without her leg, I'd concede the point - but karma only lost her leg in battle a fairly short time ago in universe.

I don't buy that her missing a leg works become part of her character to such a degree in such a short time, that she'd willingly cripple herself again just to keep it.

The mutants have created a civilization that transcended death itself - why would disabilities be a hang up ?
    1-Because it is not a "disability", stop seeing disability a a negative thing that needs to be fixed. Not all disabled see themselves that way. 2. Does not really matter how long she has or has not had it, if she has accepted it as part of her is all that matters. Things can happen in an instant that change who you are for the rest of your life. Lets use a real life situation. Someone goes to war, is in ONE battle and survives it with no problems but gets ptsd from the one battle. How can that be, its only one battle it was not for a long time in there life. ONE MOMENT CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE AND WORLD VIEW, doesnt matter how long she has had the leg period. Your still thinking in terms of oh shes missing a leg, that must be fixed. Sometimes people accept there different abilities then a normal person and accept it as part of life instead of thinking it is a problem. If I was a mutant that got resericited would I want my newly grown body to have a pinched nerve (due to degenerative disc disorder) or get rid of my bipolar. NO! Because my "disabilities" are part of what makes me who I am. And I have not had a pinched nerve all my life. ITS NOT ABOUT A MATTER OF TIME BUT ACCEPTANCE. Able boded people cant seem to wrap the mind around the fact disabilities are not seen as negatives always. Instead of seeing it as something that needs to be fixed, see the disability as something that teaches and gives a new perspective on life. Not everyone who is disabled is disadvantaged.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    During my ban you people have no idea how infuriating it's been seeing people talk about the importance of representation and the mutant metaphor in some threads and then when it comes to disabilities wonder why every disabled character doesnt immediately lose theirs the second they go to Krakoa. Constantly pushing that this couldn't be a utopian society if people still have disabilities is not the take you think it is.
    This this this.

Motherfuckers with tails and all sorts of mutations but someone having a robot leg? Too much apparently!

**** it's not like Logan's claws are naturally metal either

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Karma's prosthetic leg is the "Jean's Dress" of the New Mutants.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

The leg doesn't look like she got it for twelve dollars

Lotta folks have been very vocal about Karma's prosthesis. I've been working in a pediatric medical facility for the past 13 years and find myself continually exposed to a wealth of unexpected and eye opening behaviors from patients, their families, and staff.

Autonomy and trauma have been cornerstone themes of Xi'an since her inception. Specific to her leg, the resurrection protocols DO take the deceased's preferences into consideration when restoring them.

Domino is an example of this practice being ignored. When she died in X-Force she pleaded with Colossus(?) that when she was resurrected she wanted to remember the torture she endured, however Colossus did not follow through with that relaying that request. Is she better off for it? Was that Colossus's choice to make? That answer is going to vary from person to person for any number of reasons.

Beast came back blue and hairy and still uses glasses.
    Scott came back and still uses his ruby quartz.
    Wolverine and Laura both came and had their respective metal restored.
    I'm curious to see if the many many requests that Quire made will ever be entertained when next he resurrects.
    But Karma's leg is simply unconscionable to so many.

If someone hasn't been through a thing, it can be very confusing and challenging to understand why someone's subsequent decisions related to that event and often times it doesn't boil down to ONE thing. Many people have vastly different opinions on any ordinary or extreme experience and the potential value of said experience will differ as well. Even the simplest accident of falling off a bicycle can affect any given person in a different way. Some will try again. Some will shame spiral. Some will abandon bikes all together. But in the end, their path is their own and simply because we don't understand it or even perhaps that we don't LIKE it, its still THEIR path and their body and their choice. We don't have to understand it.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the hot button topic. Happy CBR'ing y'all.
    Last edited by Fokken; 06-11-2021 at 05:47 AM.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

If Laura knew what a good job Akihiro has done keeping an eye on Gabby, she'd have her claws stuck in something other than shrimp.
    My flag is bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Karma's prosthetic leg is the "Jean's Dress" of the New Mutants.
    What’s worse is I KNOW y’all don’t even care about Karma like that otherwise her appreciation thread would be popping before this whole leg business. The comic, character, and author have all moved on yet you’re still bothered over a robotic leg that she’s had for about a decade now? I get the initial reaction when the resurrection issue came out, but are we really gonna make a fuss every time she shows up from now on?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    First of all, thanks for sharing your experience on here.

I said it before in another thread: I'd be perfectly happy with an on-page explanation similar to what you've just given, or at the very least the writer/editor coming out and saying they want to keep Karma with a prosthetic leg because she's one of the few characters who have one and don't wanna lose that representation. I get it, it makes perfect sense and I could just ignore the fact it doesn't get addressed on page.

What rubbed me the wrong way was Vita Ayala feigning surprise and offense when people pointed out to them on Twitter that it's hard to take Shan's decision to keep her prosthetic leg at face value and accused people of "ableism". I get it, it sucks to wake up in the morning with dozens of people screaming at you on Twitter, but you're writing a long-established book with characters people have known and loved for years, characters people expect to behave in a way that's comprehensible to them. I trust some readers would be willing to learn and grow however writers need to do the work and sell them on concepts which might not exactly be clear to them. But hey, maybe the topic will be addressed in one of the upcoming issues, I know I for one would appreciate it.