Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Upcoming Preview Pages of CHAMPIONS #2 can be seen here.

I like Cho as the TA Hulk. It's a fun title and I like the combination of humor, action, and drama. I'm still not sold on Maddy however. I find her to be kinda annoying at times. I want to like her though. I also like Cho being with the Champions. I think his intelligence and strength are nice additions to the team.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I like Cho as the TA Hulk. It's a fun title and I like the combination of humor, action, and drama. I'm still not sold on Maddy however. I find her to be kinda annoying at times. I want to like her though. I also like Cho being with the Champions. I think his intelligence and strength are nice additions to the team.
    I enjoy the book, but I have to say Cho as a Hulk is kind of losing it's appeal to me.

Maybe it's because he never seems to learn when it comes to controlling his emotions, even after Maddy or someone else continually beast him over the head with it, or just that I don't think he's bringing much to the book as a Hulk that he couldn't do as himself.

But that's just me...

Amadeus can now be recruited in Avengers Academy. He's a premium character, his Rank 1 form is powered down, his Rank 3 and 5 are the Totally Awesome Hulk.

I like Amadeus and hope he gets an intro in the MCU soom enough. I'd prefer him hanging out with Hercules than him as the new Hulk (easier to budget).

Anyone enjoy him in Ultimate Spiderman (the cartoon)?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I enjoy the book, but I have to say Cho as a Hulk is kind of losing it's appeal to me.

Maybe it's because he never seems to learn when it comes to controlling his emotions, even after Maddy or someone else continually beast him over the head with it, or just that I don't think he's bringing much to the book as a Hulk that he couldn't do as himself.

But that's just me...

The only asian character that's a ton+100 character. That by itself deserves every reason for him to be a Hulk. I remember what it was like before Blue Marvel showed up, I would hate to go to a time to where he doesn't exist.
    With that said, I'm loving Cho as a Hulk. I do feel that the earlier issues were a bit better than the latter ones but they just seem to be hitting in high gear, the comedy aspect was some of the best I've seen in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    The only asian character that's a ton+100 character. That by itself deserves every reason for him to be a Hulk. I remember what it was like before Blue Marvel showed up, I would hate to go to a time to where he doesn't exist.
    With that said, I'm loving Cho as a Hulk. I do feel that the earlier issues were a bit better than the latter ones but they just seem to be hitting in high gear, the comedy aspect was some of the best I've seen in comics.
    Well, I'm not arguing against the power of representation that Amadeus as Hulk represents, I can totally get that.

I mean, I preferred him more as a super-smart kid rather then just another Hulk, and I think he brings more to the table with the former then the latter, but that's just me.

But I dunno, Cho as Hulk just isn't doing anything for me right now. I mean, I enjoy his book, and I enjoy him as a character, but I feel like it's in-spite of his being a Hulk and how it's being handled, if that makes any sense. There are times where it just feels kind of inconsequential rather then being an important part of the book unless it involves Banner or Cho acting like a hotheaded idiot.

The issue's where he's dealing with the "monster" in his trunk being the few exceptions.

I also admit that my current feelings over the Hulks might partially be because there's a bitter taste in my mouth over what they did to Bruce and Jen in Civil War II.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I'm not arguing against the power of representation that Amadeus as Hulk represents, I can totally get that.

I mean, I preferred him more as a super-smart kid rather then just another Hulk, and I think he brings more to the table with the former then the latter, but that's just me.

But I dunno, Cho as Hulk just isn't doing anything for me right now. I mean, I enjoy his book, and I enjoy him as a character, but I feel like it's in-spite of his being a Hulk and how it's being handled, if that makes any sense. There are times where it just feels kind of inconsequential rather then being an important part of the book unless it involves Banner or Cho acting like a hotheaded idiot.

The issue's where he's dealing with the "monster" in his trunk being the few exceptions.

I also admit that my current feelings over the Hulks might partially be because there's a bitter taste in my mouth over what they did to Bruce and Jen in Civil War II.
    It's not just the power of representation, it's also the variety of representation. Being a smart asian kid is not only somewhat common, it's a stereotype, a very heavily plagued stereotype that many Asian people actually hate. Hence why people were so behind Jeremy Lin because it show a side many did not expect. This is also indicated by the fact that Lin and Hulk was in the hulk book together. They wanted to show the importance of having a variety of different Asian representation.

In the end, that value of variety brings a major element to the story. It's not insignificant by any means. Not saying you should enjoy it more due to the value that it brings, just the fact that it's variety may be extremely important to others.

With that said, I did not expect, nor want Cho to have the same problems that Bruce did, primarily because his psyche isn't the same as Bruce. So I'm glad that the problems cho has with the hulk are indeed different than Bruce. In the end, even with the slight dip in quality (just because the comedy aspect isn't as strong as it use to be) it's still a top 5 book for me by far.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    It's not just the power of representation, it's also the variety of representation. Being a smart asian kid is not only somewhat common, it's a stereotype, a very heavily plagued stereotype that many Asian people actually hate. Hence why people were so behind Jeremy Lin because it show a side many did not expect. This is also indicated by the fact that Lin and Hulk was in the hulk book together. They wanted to show the importance of having a variety of different Asian representation. In the end, that value of variety brings a major element to the story. It's not insignificant by any means. Not saying you should enjoy it more due to the value that it brings, just the fact that it's variety may be extremely important to others.
    It's interesting that you talk about the smart Asian stereotype. Indeed, this was actually pointed out in some of the most recent issues of Totally Awesome Hulk where many Asian-American heroes are ribbing Amadeus for his powers.

As for Amadeus being smart, well, as an Asian-American, I can see that this may have it's roots in a stereotype. However, I definitely don't see this as stereotypical nor pejorative. Amadeus isn't awkward, with his head in a book all day in a library. On the contrary, I found the way that he could run the numbers to be pretty cool. Here's the guy who could see and figure out the angles to take down a missile with a well-placed adamantium shard. When I first read that, it reminded me of Bullseye pulling off the perfect shot with a paperclip rather than a socially inept mathathlete nerd who could recite pi to the 100th decimal place.

So even before Amadeus turned into a totally awesome Hulk, I still felt he was totally awesome .

As for the appearance of Jeremy Lin, that was hit and miss with me. Truth be told, I appreciated that Amadeus and Jeremy got to bro out. As you said, that showed the variety of Asian-Americans. Still, I think they bro'd out a bit too much, to the point that it was obnoxious.

With that said, I did not expect, nor want Cho to have the same problems that Bruce did, primarily because his psyche isn't the same as Bruce. So I'm glad that the problems cho has with the hulk are indeed different than Bruce. In the end, even with the slight dip in quality (just because the comedy aspect isn't as strong as it use to be) it's still a top 5 book for me by far.
    For me, I'm still digging the title. I like how the title features two Asian-American characters, with both Ammy and Maddy (and now with the newest arc, a lot of Asian-American heroes are getting the spotlight. But I digress). Speaking of which, I like Maddy. She's the voice of reason who tries to reign in Amadeus' impulsive behavior. Amadeus may not have the same issues with his psyche as Bruce Banner did, but he has those issues nonetheless.

So, for me, the series dipped in quality with the Jeremy Lin guest-appearances, but it's still a solid title.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 03-06-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    It's interesting that you talk about the smart Asian stereotype. Indeed, this was actually pointed out in some of the most recent issues of Totally Awesome Hulk where many Asian-American heroes are ribbing Amadeus for his powers.

As for Amadeus being smart, well, as an Asian-American, I can see that this may have it's roots in a stereotype. However, I definitely don't see this as stereotypical nor pejorative. Amadeus isn't awkward, with his head in a book all day in a library. On the contrary, I found the way that he could run the numbers to be pretty cool. Here's the guy who could see and figure out the angles to take down a missile with a well-placed adamantium shard. When I first read that, it reminded me of Bullseye pulling off the perfect shot with a paperclip rather than a socially inept mathathlete nerd who could recite pi to the 100th decimal place.

So even before Amadeus turned into a totally awesome Hulk, I still felt he was totally awesome .

As for the appearance of Jeremy Lin, that was hit and miss with me. Truth be told, I appreciated that Amadeus and Jeremy got to bro out. As you said, that showed the variety of Asian-Americans. Still, I think they bro'd out a bit too much, to the point that it was obnoxious.

For me, I'm still digging the title. I like how the title features two Asian-American characters, with both Ammy and Maddy (and now with the newest arc, a lot of Asian-American heroes are getting the spotlight. But I digress). Speaking of which, I like Maddy. She's the voice of reason who tries to reign in Amadeus' impulsive behavior. Amadeus may not have the same issues with his psyche as Bruce Banner did, but he has those issues nonetheless.

So, for me, the series dipped in quality with the Jeremy Lin guest-appearances, but it's still a solid title.

Eh, Maddy I find is a little too one dimensional for my taste. She's constantly like the mother hen that's ready to throw a shoe at Cho for the smallest mistake. Out of all the characters, she's one of the ones I like the least. I wish she was more well rounded. If we saw her being softer to Cho at times as well as harsh when necessary, she would be much more acceptable. Instead, she just seems like the constant nag barely showing that she cares unless he's in ridiculous danger, than she pulls out a gun and starts blasting folks lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Oh god, thank you so much! I really can't tell you how beautiful this was! Loved seeing Jimmy and Amadeus take command and rally the troops here! Can't wait for this issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ammy is in Secret Empire Uprising.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Ammy is in Secret Empire Uprising.
    Can't wait to see how this will work out for Chulk and some of the Champions involved.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Can't wait to see how this will work out for Chulk and some of the Champions involved.
    Same here, Cho isn't as optimistic as say Ironheart but even he's much more optimistic than the grey black widow. To be honest I don't see how they can wrap this up in one issue but we will see.