Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Would Peter make a good Dad?

This is something that I would love to see explored. I'd love to have Mayday Parker appear in the main universe like Peter goes on a time travel adventure changes one thing and when he gets back he finds that he shares custody of a teenager with MaryJane. I just love the possible shenanigans that would insurance from something like that especially if she was more like her Mom didn't get along with Peter until getting powers like him. I also love the idea of there being a parallel with Peter like her lying to him about going somewhere and somehow MJ or someone else gets hurt because of it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    This is something that I would love to see explored. I'd love to have Mayday Parker appear in the main universe like Peter goes on a time travel adventure changes one thing and when he gets back he finds that he shares custody of a teenager with MaryJane. I just love the possible shenanigans that would insurance from something like that especially if she was more like her Mom didn't get along with Peter until getting powers like him. I also love the idea of there being a parallel with Peter like her lying to him about going somewhere and somehow MJ or someone else gets hurt because of it.
    As he has been written the last decade or so? No. Too immature. Now if it was the Peter from the 90s or the one under JMS? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    As he has been written the last decade or so? No. Too immature. Now if it was the Peter from the 90s or the one under JMS? Yes.
    Disagree. I think the 'immature' label is slapped around way too easily at Pete these days.

Anyway, parenthood is a lot like swinging around from disaster to disaster, so I'd say Pete'd be in his element.

Extraordinary Member

Oh hell yeah.The thing about parenthood that i see most often is the unpredictability and energy required.Pete has dealt with both very easily.Also his Intrinsic Moral values means the child would grow up to be a great person.
    Also for people saying he's immature.1)Spencer already undid most of that
    2)A stable marriage and kid would make him much more mature than he currently is

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Oh hell yeah.The thing about parenthood that i see most often is the unpredictability and energy required.Pete has dealt with both very easily.Also his Intrinsic Moral values means the child would grow up to be a great person.
    Also for people saying he's immature.1)Spencer already undid most of that
    2)A stable marriage and kid would make him much more mature than he currently is
    "Intrinsic" is a bad word for moral values. Pete's a good person because of the values instilled in him by Uncle Ben and Aunt May.

Marriage doesn't mean maturity, no matter how hard a lot of Spidey-fans wish it so.

Astonishing Member

JMS and The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man have shown that Peter would be the best dad in all of comics.

Interestingly, this is another ying-yang he would have with Norman, who was an absolute terrible father.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Anyway, parenthood is a lot like swinging around from disaster to disaster, so I'd say Pete'd be in his element.
    I love this.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 06-11-2021 at 05:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

"Intrinsic" is a bad word for moral values. Pete's a good person because of the values instilled in him by Uncle Ben and Aunt May.

Marriage doesn't mean maturity, no matter how hard a lot of Spidey-fans wish it so.
    They were intrinsic because they are part of him naturally at this point in time.They are essential to 616 spidey. That's the definition.Although the word choice could have been better on my part.

Marriage means maturity in the case of Spider-man.In real life it's a toss up and they don't always go hand in hand.In Spider-man's case he is a fictional character written by different writers, if he is married then be will be written like a Peter of 30+ age rather than a Peter of 20.Writers will write him as more mature because they can.Specially for someone whose entire shtick is responsibility.
    Even in earlier comics he was always more mature than his age, always missing out on the fun stuff to save lives.He has always been mature,BND and slott tried to make him dumb and immature to make him "relatable" and it failed horribly.

Astonishing Member

Disagree. I think the 'immature' label is slapped around way too easily at Pete these days.

When I said "last decade" I mostly meant under Slott. Where he was written as a immature idiot. Funny, because this is the same man who gave us RYV. So he proved he could write a decent Peter. But I digress. Spencer has done well in restoring the character to some semblance of his former self.

On the other hand, Zdarsky is one of the few writers in the last 8 years to deliver a Peter I absolutely adored and was like the one I grew up reading.

If it were up to me, Peter would have had a kid years ago. Trying to balance parenthood, marriage, and occupying a role as a lecturer at ESU.

When I said "last decade" I mostly meant under Slott. Where he was written as a immature idiot. Funny, because this is the same man who gave us RYV. So he proved he could write a decent Peter. But I digress. Spencer has done well in restoring the character to some semblance of his former self.

On the other hand, Zdarsky is one of the few writers in the last 8 years to deliver a Peter I absolutely adored and was like the one I grew up reading.

If it were up to me, Peter would have had a kid years ago. Trying to balance parenthood, marriage, and occupying a role as a lecturer at ESU.
    I think that 'immature Slott Peter' exists more strongly in people's memories and in select panels than actually on the page.

Marvel, correctly I think, surmises that Peter having a kid would result in him not being Spider-Man. I know people say he can do both, and that other heroes do the same, but Peter takes responsibility too seriously to really *try* to do both, and in the face of the danger its presented to so many of his loved ones (something Spencer is touching on in this very arc!) I just don't see he'd place his own child in that situation.

I mean, that story works fine if you want to transition to Miles Morales as your primary Spider-Man without killing Pete. It's a fine ending for him.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-12-2021 at 03:19 AM.

He was pretty good in RYV.

Honestly though, I still say he'd be a good dad. He's one of the most responsible people around, to a fault sometimes. And giving him a kid would prove that Marvel is finally ready to let him grow up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post

Honestly though, I still say he'd be a good dad. He's one of the most responsible people around, to a fault sometimes. And giving him a kid would prove that Marvel is finally ready to let him grow up.
    Not to mention that, with Miles Morales, they have a "back up" younger Spider-Man to use in the stories they always want to write.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post

They can let him grow up. It is one of the best things about bringing Miles over into 616.

The question is: Do they themselves at Marvel realize this as well?