Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Would Peter make a good Dad?

This is something that I would love to see explored. I'd love to have Mayday Parker appear in the main universe like Peter goes on a time travel adventure changes one thing and when he gets back he finds that he shares custody of a teenager with MaryJane. I just love the possible shenanigans that would insurance from something like that especially if she was more like her Mom didn't get along with Peter until getting powers like him. I also love the idea of there being a parallel with Peter like her lying to him about going somewhere and somehow MJ or someone else gets hurt because of it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    This is something that I would love to see explored. I'd love to have Mayday Parker appear in the main universe like Peter goes on a time travel adventure changes one thing and when he gets back he finds that he shares custody of a teenager with MaryJane. I just love the possible shenanigans that would insurance from something like that especially if she was more like her Mom didn't get along with Peter until getting powers like him. I also love the idea of there being a parallel with Peter like her lying to him about going somewhere and somehow MJ or someone else gets hurt because of it.
    As he has been written the last decade or so? No. Too immature. Now if it was the Peter from the 90s or the one under JMS? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    As he has been written the last decade or so? No. Too immature. Now if it was the Peter from the 90s or the one under JMS? Yes.
    Disagree. I think the 'immature' label is slapped around way too easily at Pete these days.

Anyway, parenthood is a lot like swinging around from disaster to disaster, so I'd say Pete'd be in his element.

Extraordinary Member

Oh hell yeah.The thing about parenthood that i see most often is the unpredictability and energy required.Pete has dealt with both very easily.Also his Intrinsic Moral values means the child would grow up to be a great person.
    Also for people saying he's immature.1)Spencer already undid most of that
    2)A stable marriage and kid would make him much more mature than he currently is

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Oh hell yeah.The thing about parenthood that i see most often is the unpredictability and energy required.Pete has dealt with both very easily.Also his Intrinsic Moral values means the child would grow up to be a great person.
    Also for people saying he's immature.1)Spencer already undid most of that
    2)A stable marriage and kid would make him much more mature than he currently is
    "Intrinsic" is a bad word for moral values. Pete's a good person because of the values instilled in him by Uncle Ben and Aunt May.

Marriage doesn't mean maturity, no matter how hard a lot of Spidey-fans wish it so.

Astonishing Member

JMS and The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man have shown that Peter would be the best dad in all of comics.

Interestingly, this is another ying-yang he would have with Norman, who was an absolute terrible father.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Anyway, parenthood is a lot like swinging around from disaster to disaster, so I'd say Pete'd be in his element.
    I love this.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 06-11-2021 at 05:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    "Intrinsic" is a bad word for moral values. Pete's a good person because of the values instilled in him by Uncle Ben and Aunt May.

Marriage doesn't mean maturity, no matter how hard a lot of Spidey-fans wish it so.
    They were intrinsic because they are part of him naturally at this point in time.They are essential to 616 spidey. That's the definition.Although the word choice could have been better on my part.

Marriage means maturity in the case of Spider-man.In real life it's a toss up and they don't always go hand in hand.In Spider-man's case he is a fictional character written by different writers, if he is married then be will be written like a Peter of 30+ age rather than a Peter of 20.Writers will write him as more mature because they can.Specially for someone whose entire shtick is responsibility.
    Even in earlier comics he was always more mature than his age, always missing out on the fun stuff to save lives.He has always been mature,BND and slott tried to make him dumb and immature to make him "relatable" and it failed horribly.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    JMS and The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man have shown that Peter would be the best dad in all of comics.
    Absolutely.As much as i dislike slott renew your vows was a good glimpse at a dad pete. Although MJ should not(and hopefully won't be in 616) be a crime-fighter.Takes a lot away from her appeal for me.

Sure would be an interesting direction to take the character that Marvel will never allow outside of AUs.

Astonishing Member

Absolutely.As much as i dislike slott renew your vows was a good glimpse at a dad pete. Although MJ should not(and hopefully won't be in 616) be a crime-fighter.Takes a lot away from her appeal for me.
    Agreed. I will say though that while I think Peter would be the best dad ever, I don't think he has to be one. I see some fans equating Peter not being a dad by this point to Peter not being married anymore, and I think that's a little unfair. Raising a child is a lot trickier than being in a mature married relationship, so I don't blame a writer if they don't wanna go there, but also it's become more common with Millennials to choose to be childless, and I can also see Peter choosing to do that so he could focus on his students and on his superhero career. So if Marvel were to restore Peter to the JMS days where he was married and a high school teacher, but doesn't wanna take that any further, I would have no problem with it and I don't think it would be a sign of Marvel continuing to infantilize Peter.

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Read Spider-Girl and then ask again.

They were intrinsic because they are part of him naturally at this point in time.They are essential to 616 spidey. That's the definition.Although the word choice could have been better on my part.
    I think that's a problem. Spidey isn't a Saint, and he should still struggle with his morals. Saying they're intrinsic makes it sound like it's easy for him and since when have we ever wanted Spidey to have it easy?

Marriage means maturity in the case of Spider-man
    I'm gonna disagree extremely strongly with this and suggest that this is an invention of the readership.

.In real life it's a toss up and they don't always go hand in hand.In Spider-man's case he is a fictional character written by different writers, if he is married then be will be written like a Peter of 30+ age rather than a Peter of 20.Writers will write him as more mature because they can.S pecially for someone whose entire shtick is responsibility.
    They *definitely* don't go hand in hand. Mistaking marriage for maturity is, well ... something kids do, not adults.

Even in earlier comics he was always more mature than his age, always missing out on the fun stuff to save lives.He has always been mature,BND and slott tried to make him dumb and immature to make him "relatable" and it failed horribly.
    'More mature' than his age? I'm definitely not gonna agree with this. xD

Lemme add some nuance to this point: Peter definitely had to take to grown-up tasks faster, but I'd argue that doesn't make one 'mature' faster.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-11-2021 at 07:49 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Agreed. I will say though that while I think Peter would be the best dad ever, I don't think he has to be one. I see some fans equating Peter not being a dad by this point to Peter not being married anymore, and I think that's a little unfair.
    Agreed.

The biggest problem with being someone who defends Spider-Man growing up is this assumption you are fighting against that people think you want Spider-Man to age up rapidly or quickly, or that you are incapable of nuance.

I don't think the Spider-Man continuity was ready for Peter being a Dad during the Clone Saga, and that decision was taken in the first place because of the asinine indefensible idea of the 2nd Clone Saga (i.e. the Peter we've been reading for the last twenty years was a clone). This isn't to say that the stories of Peter as an expecting Dad weren't sweet or that it wasn't horrible the way that situation was handled...but as I said, I don't think the title was entirely ready at that time.

Ideally all things being equal, assuming Peter-MJ stayed married without the 2nd Clone Saga, without OMD and BND and OMIT (i.e. the best timeline which this isn't) I would like for them to become parents around the time of ASM#1000. Instead, the continuity got stuck salvaging messes (JMS salvaged ASM after the 2nd Clone Saga and Post-Clone Saga; and now Spencer is salvaging it after Slott and BND but it remains to be seen how far he goes).

So if Marvel were to restore Peter to the JMS days where he was married and a high school teacher, but doesn't wanna take that any further, I would have no problem with it and I don't think it would be a sign of Marvel continuing to infantilize Peter.
    Agreed.

To answer the OP...yeah, I think Peter would be a great dad but again it depends on which Peter we're talking about. Dan Slott's Peter isn't even a great Peter Parker and is barely a person.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 06-11-2021 at 07:44 AM.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Sure would be an interesting direction to take the character that Marvel will never allow outside of AUs.
    My thoughts exactly. I predict Pete will somehow be age-regressed to a teenager before he is ever allowed to be a dad in 616.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-11-2021 at 08:29 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I think he'd try his best.