Extraordinary Member

Default With his upcoming movie appearance, will Mandarin appear back in comics soon?

Unless I’m wrong I haven’t seen him in solicitations at all.

Wouldn’t now be the best time to revamp him?

Or is he too different from the one we’ll see in Shang Chi?

They’ve been trying to find a way to modernize the Mandarin for years now with mixed results, so they’re probably keeping him on ice until someone with a really good pitch comes along.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

I always liked the Mandarin, even in his old, Fu Manchu/Dr Doom days, but i more worried that if they use him again, he will retconned to be more close to his MCU character.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

All they have to do is read how the Knaufs wrote him. The template is there.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    It was always weird to me, why Marvel failed to modernise Mandarin. I mean, the core of the character is:

1)Scientist or at least clever enough to understand alien tech and use it for his goals

2)Physical perfection and mastery of chi, to the point that he can fight Iron Man even without his rings.

3)traditionalist/old school nationalist. He wants to put China(with him as the leader) in charge of the world, but his ideal society is a centralised, imperial China, especially during the Mongols dynasty. That makes him also an enemy of modern China, as he would be viewed as a reactionary and right wind extremist.

Change the visual repressentation(no goatee/manchu mustache and asian robes) and had him as the big menace of Asia. Hell, put a Chinese superhero team to fight him, just to note that he is the biggest threat of modern China.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

let's see what happens in the next year. do the rings still exist or have they been destroyed?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    It was always weird to me, why Marvel failed to modernise Mandarin. I mean, the core of the character is:

1)Scientist or at least clever enough to understand alien tech and use it for his goals

2)Physical perfection and mastery of chi, to the point that he can fight Iron Man even without his rings.

3)traditionalist/old school nationalist. He wants to put China(with him as the leader) in charge of the world, but his ideal society is a centralised, imperial China, especially during the Mongols dynasty. That makes him also an enemy of modern China, as he would be viewed as a reactionary and right wind extremist.

Change the visual repressentation(no goatee/manchu mustache and asian robes) and had him as the big menace of Asia. Hell, put a Chinese superhero team to fight him, just to note that he is the biggest threat of modern China.
    That is not Xi Jinping? (Greeting to the chinese internauts, Hello!!)

Jokes aside, is kinda hard to recreate the Mandarin for modern audiences if you have to consider what he originally represented. Iron Man stories were very cold war inspired and the Mandarin was part of that discourse. He was the asian menace to the american hegemony (and still is) and is kind of hard to sell that concept in a movie to chinese audiences. In the comics you can work on that, I don't thin than american comics are selling in China, but if it is reinvented, I think it will be something very different from what you were used to.

Only, don't use Trevor.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

It's not like any of the past Iron Man runs have really created a strong alternative (beyond just not featuring Mandarin at all), but now they've fused him with Shang's dad who also hasn't been seen in a while so...not really sure what'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    This^

The Knaufs version is the gold standard for this character.

They won't introduce the OG Mandarin. If he's ever introduced again, they will use the movie version as a template. As alluded to before, the comic Mandarin is problematic. I imagine Disney will be smart about this like they usually are.
    The J-man