Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Book sales May 2021

Comichron published their projected rankings for May comic book sales to comic shops yesterday.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...1/2021-05.html

Disclaimer:

The charts feature every new comic book released by Diamond and Lunar in May 2021. Variant editions have been merged into single entries, following longtime industry practice. The DC release dates are from Lunar.

Things to remember: As we're not characterizing order levels at this time, ranked comics could be separated by thousands of copies or as little as a single issue. Rankings are most reliable for regular series issues in the middle of the chart: orders for the highest sellers and first issues may tend to show more variation.

Rankings in these charts should also be expected to differ — often significantly — from the sales-to-consumers charts available at other outlets. Those report sell-through and not sell-in. Comichron tracks copies in circulation, a category which includes both copies on retail shelves and in consumers' hands.
    X-book rankings

Code:
    Unit	Dollar	Title				Issue	Price	On Sale		Publisher
    11	18	X-Men				20	$3.99	05/26/21	Marvel
    21	34	Wolverine			12	$3.99	05/19/21	Marvel
    28	21	X-Corp				1	$4.99	05/12/21	Marvel
    34	44	Way of X			2	$3.99	05/19/21	Marvel
    48	57	Marauders			20	$3.99	05/05/21	Marvel
    67	78	New Mutants			18	$3.99	05/26/21	Marvel
    75	60	X-Men Curse Man-Thing		1	$4.99	05/05/21	Marvel
    77	86	Hellions			11	$3.99	05/05/21	Marvel
    81	91	X-Factor			9	$3.99	05/12/21	Marvel
    88	97	Children of the Atom		3	$3.99	05/12/21	Marvel
    They also finalized the rankings for December 2020.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...0/2020-12.html
    Last edited by myownlittleusername; 06-11-2021 at 04:01 AM.

Hellions deserves better.

HiX-Men had a stable good sales. Interesting if it will sell as good without Hickman.

Bye Cota.

And people ask why wolverine has a solo

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Hellions deserves better.

HiX-Men had a stable good sales. Interesting if it will sell as good without Hickman.

Bye Cota.
    probably. its still the main x team book and the name alone draws more people in

It exacerbated my confusion about why JDW opened WOX and X-Corp

Plus I'm not saying they're bad books but the timing they came into the X-Titles was clearly a failure in commercial

Quote Originally Posted by WildR View Post
    It exacerbated my confusion about why JDW opened WOX and X-Corp

Plus I'm not saying they're bad books but the timing they came into the X-Titles was clearly a failure in commercial
    The two books aren't selling that badly. So far they are justifying their place in the publishing schedule.

Plus, the X-Titles probably need new comics to replace Cable, X-Factor, and CoTA. The X-office has to replace those comics in the schedule, and regain those canceled comics money somehow, even if WoX and X-Corp are only able to do that for a short amount of time.

Personally, I think that WoX and X-Corp should have launched sooner, when the X-Comics were still hot after HoX and PoX. I think that they would have sold better. I believe that they were meant to anyway.

Hellions and New Mutants deserve better fates. Just my opinion. It seems a large part of the readership disagrees with my opinion
    Last edited by Thievery; 06-11-2021 at 04:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Thanks for posting this, myownlittleusername!

Very sad to see Hellions not doing better, and also curious and afraid to see how SWORD is faring with next month's chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    The two books aren't selling that badly. So far they are justifying their place in the publishing schedule.

Plus, the X-Titles probably need new comics to replace Cable, X-Factor, and CoTA. The X-office has to replace those comics in the schedule, and regain those canceled comics money somehow, even if WoX and X-Corp are only able to do that for a short amount of time.

Personally, I think that WoX and X-Corp should have launched sooner, when the X-Comics were still hot after HoX and PoX. I think that they would have sold better. I believe that they were meant to anyway.

Hellions and New Mutants deserve better fates. Just my opinion. It seems a large part of the readership disagrees with my opinion
    I think what you said was right

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post

not sure about x corp but i know si spurrier was busy and was only able to start on WoX more recently. if it did launch earlier it wouldn't have had him as the writer so maybe for the best it was held back.

Extraordinary Member

Most books are not going to sell well because Marvel has not grown the market (that is, the audience). A book like Hellions would only sell well anyway in a less crowded lineup even if it was a healthier market. Also, attaching books to a core concept makes them feel more like the low tier minis of a big event rather than a book worth reading for its own story. I say this as someone who enjoys what Hellions does but I can compare it to times when the comics industry knew how to sell comics.

At least the X-books still seem to be doing very well at Comixology. This week we again have three X-books in the top 3: X-Men, Excalibur and COTA.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-best-sellers

Last week ended with Marauders, X-Force and Hellions in the same positions.

Too bad it's only 10% of the market or so.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Most books are not going to sell well because Marvel has not grown the market (that is, the audience). A book like Hellions would only sell well anyway in a less crowded lineup even if it was a healthier market. Also, attaching books to a core concept makes them feel more like the low tier minis of a big event rather than a book worth reading for its own story. I say this as someone who enjoys what Hellions does but I can compare it to times when the comics industry knew how to sell comics.
    I mean let's face it, a book called Hellions was always going to be a hard sell. Take the exact same concept, characters and creative team but call the book X-Force and suddenly you sell 20k copies more. Brand matters and I feel the X-office has pretty much exhausted all their big names at this stage.

So Excaliburs numbers have been weird but it hasn't been Hellions / X-Factor level which I find so strange.

But we shall see what happens.

I know they are trying to be different with the names in this era.

But I'm also curious if having the other X-Men titles on the covers would help.

I mean we have:

New X-Men
    Amazing X-men
    Extraordinary X-Men
    X-treme X-Men
    Uncanny X-Men
    Young X-Men
    Generation X

All of these are not being used.
    Last edited by CGAR; 06-11-2021 at 07:22 AM.

They better revamp the line after Inferno.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I mean let's face it, a book called Hellions was always going to be a hard sell. Take the exact same concept, characters and creative team but call the book X-Force and suddenly you sell 20k copies more. Brand matters and I feel the X-office has pretty much exhausted all their big names at this stage.
    Marauders should have given them enough confidence about launching these unfamous brands lol.