Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member

The time is definitely right for a big budget, R-rated Spawn movie.

The character has experienced something of a resurgence in recent months and movies like Venom shows how much my generation loved the 90s heroes anti-heroes. And Spawn was arguably the biggest anti-hero of the 90s, seriously, the title was the top seller in the country for a very long time back then until the book started meandering into boring muck.

I think part of the problem with the new projects is just how much McFarlane wants to be involved in them (I believe he wanted to direct the last project that fell apart). It’s understandable that he wants full creative control (part of the reason the Harry Potter movies turned out as well as they did was because JK Rowling had final say on all creative choices) but he should cede the film making process to actual film makers.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok, because I thought it was meandering and pretentious, and not in a good way like Hannibal
    Hannibal was like a rated R Tim Burton movie. Style over substance. No performance in Hannibal is close to TD. I stopped watching H after season 1 and felt not like missing something. Maybe because the novels were more interesting

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Hannibal was like a rated R Tim Burton movie. Style over substance. No performance in Hannibal is close to TD. I stopped watching H after season 1 and felt not like missing something. Maybe because the novels were more interesting
    Ok. I though TD just kept talking about stuff without having any interesting characters. Hannibal had the weird relationship between Hannibal and Will, and the storylines actually led to something

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Good question. Maybe not limit its quality but it has been done now and for me in an almost perfect way. Just adding angels/demons and doing it again probably won't work for me now. On the other hand I love Heat/DarkKnight/Winter Soldier and those 3 movies owe a lot to each other.
    What has been done now? Gritty detective stories? I mean, it's a genre as old as film, never mind television. If something isn't good or interesting or able to stand apart from the pack, I don't think it's because some other film or show already did it perfectly. Frankly if that's a reason to not do something new, True Detective wouldn't even exist, nor would like any other crime drama/thriller/mystery of the past 40+ years.