Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Question Does DC destroy Superman Legacy?

Ever since the release of gritty "Man of Steel" movie and the video game "Injustice" where they protrayal Superman as a Nazi/Dictator/Terrorist, DC has completely disrepect Superman brand onwards. Moreover,some of the Amazon's "The Boys" and "Invincible" where each show has their evil version of Superman. At the same time, DC keep pushing more bat-related books throught marketing and somehow even the slogan "Fight for Truth and Justice" have been disrespect by modern society. Really how dissapointed WB think Darkness will being them success.

Spectacular Member

I didn't think Man of Steel was that bad really. It was more the movies that followed (BvS and Zack's proposed JL trilogy). Injustice wouldn't be bad if it wasn't milked for as long as it was and if there was other good Superman media. Honestly S1 of Supergirl is better Superman content then what we've gotten for him from the last decade (minus Superman and Lois).

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't say they ''destroy it''. The thing is, classic Superman image isn't that profitable as they want it to be. That's the reason why they constantly try to change him, to reinovate him, or even create a new, younger Superman in case of Jon. Regarding evil Superman, unfortunately it's just very popular trope to use. It's pretty awful, but that's how things going. I once saw such an opinion that it is much easier for the modern casual public to accept a negative, or at least neutral, character with limitless powers, while it is easier to empathize with Batman because he is human. But I don't know how close it is to reality.
    Anyway, we at least have Superman & Lois, we have a new animated universe and also there was announcement of a new cartoon show. Not to mention current comics run, it's pretty good. So, at least we have some good Superman content.

Fantastic Member

Dc comics has destroy Superman legacy!! It's a sad day when we'd rather see a good man turn evil. It's a sad world we live into day!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I wouldn't say they ''destroy it''. The thing is, classic Superman image isn't that profitable as they want it to be. That's the reason why they constantly try to change him, to reinovate him, or even create a new, younger Superman in case of Jon. Regarding evil Superman, unfortunately it's just very popular trope to use. It's pretty awful, but that's how things going. I once saw such an opinion that it is much easier for the modern casual public to accept a negative, or at least neutral, character with limitless powers, while it is easier to empathize with Batman because he is human. But I don't know how close it is to reality.
    Anyway, we at least have Superman & Lois, we have a new animated universe and also there was announcement of a new cartoon show. Not to mention current comics run, it's pretty good. So, at least we have some good Superman content.
    It's not awful at all, imo. Homelander is compelling. Omni-Man is compelling. And yes, Injustice Superman is a good video game villain. Unfortunately, for Superman, when he's evil is the only time writers don't nerf him, and when he's not nerfed, Superman's a terrifying villain. Which is a good thing in fiction.

The problem is that DC often, including now, doesn't have the talented writers needed to make Hero Superman compelling, and furthermore, they nerf him to try to "make him more relatable" lol. The bar isn't even all that high. I like Peter Tomasi but he's not on my list of all-time great writers or anything, but I adored his Superman run. Unfortunately it was cut short / Bendis-fied.

Evil Superman is just more annoying, played, and uninteresting than anything else. In of itself as a concept it can't Superman's legacy, he's bigger than that. Bigger problem is that its just one symptom of a company that's generally uninterested in the IP as it exists.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

I wouldn't say DC are destroying Superman's legacy. I would say they aren't preserving his legacy.

What that means is that different companies do various things to ensure flagship characters are treated with a certain respect. In Disney, Mickey Mouse doesn't make that much money as compared to Donald Duck, but that doesn't mean Disney does stuff like advertising Mickey as a plague-spreading rat who's talked down to by Donald.

DC doesn't do enough to preserve Superman. Like for instance as editor/publisher they should put a moratorium on heat-vision or red-eyes glowing Superman images in various media since nowadays that's becoming far more iconic a superpower than Flight.

I don't think any of the adaptations mentioned were done intentionally to harm Superman, just miscalculations. And you've already seen the company try to pivot away from the Snyderverse, for instance.

BANNED

I hope Disney buys DC

Because Warner’s is the worst thing to happen to Superman

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    I hope Disney buys DC

Because Warner’s is the worst thing to happen to Superman
    I don't think Warners is trying to destroy Superman. He's at least their second most popular character consistently. They are more likely trying to find things that have appeal and make money. They are also doing many things with Superman. His appearances on Supergirl for instance. They are probably trying to appeal to all sorts of different people with different takes on Superman.

But, yes, I suspect that the people doing the MCU could do a series of DC movies that would be overwhelmingly popular. They especially would be the right fit to present the traditional Superman that so many of us are so anxious to see again. There's a reason that even a disaster like the theatrical cut of JL was very popular among Superman fans as far as the Superman aspect of it went. We wanted even that as an answer to the Superman we kept getting.

By the way, that's not to say I disliked the Superman of MoS or B v S. He made sense in that world and was striving to be a symbol of hope despite the drawbacks.
    Power with Girl is better.

No, I don't think his legacy is destroyed at all. If anything it is reaching a broader audience and is poised to become even more popular.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    No, I don't think his legacy is destroyed at all. If anything it is reaching a broader audience and is poised to become even more popular.
    It has actually.but that's another problem.No two people want the same thing.I for one don't care classic sky father/savior superman.I much prefer original take or the jeans and tshirt one as the superman.Still i would take any other interpretation and characterisation.The only thing that worked for me with the sky father is up in the sky or all star superman..I do find it incredibly limiting even then..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

I don't think DC is 'destroying' the Superman legacy. Superman remains their biggest character after Batman, and one of the most iconic characters in the history of pop-culture (or just culture in general).

One of the 'problems' with Superman (or maybe its a problem with his fanbase or the world at large) is that the 'traditional' or 'classic' takes on the character (best represented by the Donner movie) don't really appeal to the tastes of wider contemporary audiences. And any deviation from the 'traditional' take on Superman (like, say, Snyder's MOS) attracts the ire of a hardcore fanbase that won't accept anything but said 'traditional' take.

I'm oversimplying a bit, and there are more layers to this, but at a surface level this is the problem I feel.

Which is not to say that there haven't been successful takes on Superman in recent years. And while I don't think there's a 'formula' as such for making Superman successful today, I feel that the best modern Superman stories are the ones that try to make us empathize with the character in some way, or understand what he's all about. All Star Superman manages to do this to probably the most unapproachable and alien version of the character - the Silver Age Superman! Birthright and American Alien both do a great job at this as origin stories. I think Superman & Lois is doing a great job with it now, presenting Clark as a father. And I personally think Man of Steel does a great job humanizing him as well.

BANNED

DC has destroyed the legacy of superman, not in vain is he the most hated fictional character of all time. But the worst thing is that he has intentionally destroyed that legacy. superman has gone from being the greatest hero of dc, to being a top 3 of his villains, lex and the joker are the greatest villains in comics, but superman is indisputably the greatest of video games and has been very close to be the best in movies.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, DC wants Superman as a villain and little by little they are taking steps down that path.
    1: the public is used to the idea of ​​a superman villain, today no one is surprised to see superman as a villain.
    2: Make Batman (not a villainous Superman story, it's a Batman taking on a villain story) face him every time.
    3: create another character (Jon) to take the place as hero.
    In 10 years superman will be the new villain dc.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I wouldn't say DC are destroying Superman's legacy. I would say they aren't preserving his legacy.
    This is a good way to put it. They wouldn't deliberately destroy the legacy, but their cluelessness at times is definitely setting him back. Since trends are always changing, Superman's popularity fluctuating was always inevitable, but if WB/DC had been more consistently on the ball I don't think it would have taken the hits it has. And the fact that they don't seem bothered by the popularity of Injustice and what the upcoming Suicide Squad game is shaping up to be as long as they make money is worrisome (that goes for most other characters who show up in those as well, especially WW).

Still, due to being the icon he is, he still gets far more than most other characters. it's just not reliable/inconsistent in terms of quality. The last film version was a disaster, but they are trying again, he has a live action show and a new cartoon coming out. More consistent care towards the legacy would be appreciated, and I think Superman fans have a right to not place complete faith in WB/DC, but there are some good things to be grateful for that other fans don't have.