Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why is Thor: The Dark World universally considered to be the worst MCU film?

Pretty much what the title says. I've consistently seen Thor: The Dark World ranked among the worst, if not ranked as the worst, of the MCU film entries. But I've never really gotten a consensus on why people think that. I know the film had a troubled production and that the director, Alan Taylor, did not enjoy the "collaborative" process with MARVEL at all. I think the film's tone is all over the place, but that's a criticism shared by the much more successful and beloved Thor: Ragnarok too. Jane Foster was kind of the weakest link, but in the early MCU films, the only romantic relationship I thought was written well was Tony/Pepper.

Personally I thought Thor: The Dark World was an improvement on the first Thor film. It's by no means perfect, but I enjoyed it. We got to see a little more of the 9 realms, we spent a lot more time in Asgard, Loki got some good character development, the visuals and production looked good, etc. A lot of people say Malekith was an underwhelming or underdeveloped villain but he was still miles ahead of Yellowjacket in the first Ant-Man.

But enough about my thoughts, I wanna hear yours.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

First time I heard of this. Overall, I thought the movie was alright. Not bad, but definitely not great either. Here are MCU Flicks I consider worse than Dark World:

Thor 1
    Iron Man 2
    Iron Man 3
    Captain Marvel
    GOTG 2 (Chris Pratt's Starlord flat out annoys me. Remove him then I'd rank higher)

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I never knew Dark World was a bad movie until the Internet told me it was.

Personally I consider all the MCU movies (so far) to be just varying levels of good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    First time I heard of this. Overall, I thought the movie was alright. Not bad, but definitely not great either. Here are MCU Flicks I consider worse than Dark World:

Thor 1
    Iron Man 2
    Iron Man 3
    Captain Marvel
    GOTG 2 (Chris Pratt's Starlord flat out annoys me. Remove him then I'd rank higher)
    There is no reality where Guardians 2, or any of the Iron Man sequels are worse than Dark World.

I thought that was The Incredible Hulk?

(I liked Yellowjacket).

Ultimate Member

I'd say I probably enjoy it more than the first Ant-Man movie, or Iron Man 2 or 3

Mighty Member

I like it better than IM3 or Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Pretty much what the title says. I've consistently seen Thor: The Dark World ranked among the worst, if not ranked as the worst, of the MCU film entries. But I've never really gotten a consensus on why people think that. I know the film had a troubled production and that the director, Alan Taylor, did not enjoy the "collaborative" process with MARVEL at all. I think the film's tone is all over the place, but that's a criticism shared by the much more successful and beloved Thor: Ragnarok too. Jane Foster was kind of the weakest link, but in the early MCU films, the only romantic relationship I thought was written well was Tony/Pepper.

Personally I thought Thor: The Dark World was an improvement on the first Thor film. It's by no means perfect, but I enjoyed it. We got to see a little more of the 9 realms, we spent a lot more time in Asgard, Loki got some good character development, the visuals and production looked good, etc. A lot of people say Malekith was an underwhelming or underdeveloped villain but he was still miles ahead of Yellowjacket in the first Ant-Man.

But enough about my thoughts, I wanna hear yours.
    I don't think it is considered the worst though perhaps boring and suffering from a villain with no personality.

I think it is considered to be a candidate for the worst though not necessarily the winner.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The main problem with the MCU Thor is that he really isn't comic Thor. He is comic Hercules. Seriously you look at every Thor appearance and sub in comic Herc and it all plays so much better.

BANNED

It really doesn't.
    I don't see how subbing in Hercules does anything for Thor and Loki's relationship, Thor's relationship with Jane and the Avengers, the issues he was having in Infinity War and Endgame

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The main problem with the MCU Thor is that he really isn't comic Thor. He is comic Hercules. Seriously you look at every Thor appearance and sub in comic Herc and it all plays so much better.
    I very much enjoyed Thor 3 (not the Dark World, so hey, here's this thread), but yeah, now your point has shifted my lens of Thor.

Well I liked it better than Thor 1, which was really tedious and unwatchable for me. But Ragnarok, as silly and completely off the wall as it is, was better than both of them.

Seems like of the three character franchises - Captain America, Iron Man and Thor - Thor has been the weakest and CA has been the strongest. And I think it has to do with relevance to the greater MCU. You can completely remove the Thor movies and Iron Man II and III and it makes no difference to the MCU. Can't really do that with any of the Cap films.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well I liked it better than Thor 1, which was really tedious and unwatchable for me. But Ragnarok, as silly and completely off the wall as it is, was better than both of them.

Seems like of the three character franchises - Captain America, Iron Man and Thor - Thor has been the weakest and CA has been the strongest. And I think it has to do with relevance to the greater MCU. You can completely remove the Thor movies and Iron Man II and III and it makes no difference to the MCU. Can't really do that with any of the Cap films.
    That is because it is America's ass.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium