Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why is Thor: The Dark World universally considered to be the worst MCU film?

Pretty much what the title says. I've consistently seen Thor: The Dark World ranked among the worst, if not ranked as the worst, of the MCU film entries. But I've never really gotten a consensus on why people think that. I know the film had a troubled production and that the director, Alan Taylor, did not enjoy the "collaborative" process with MARVEL at all. I think the film's tone is all over the place, but that's a criticism shared by the much more successful and beloved Thor: Ragnarok too. Jane Foster was kind of the weakest link, but in the early MCU films, the only romantic relationship I thought was written well was Tony/Pepper.

Personally I thought Thor: The Dark World was an improvement on the first Thor film. It's by no means perfect, but I enjoyed it. We got to see a little more of the 9 realms, we spent a lot more time in Asgard, Loki got some good character development, the visuals and production looked good, etc. A lot of people say Malekith was an underwhelming or underdeveloped villain but he was still miles ahead of Yellowjacket in the first Ant-Man.

But enough about my thoughts, I wanna hear yours.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

First time I heard of this. Overall, I thought the movie was alright. Not bad, but definitely not great either. Here are MCU Flicks I consider worse than Dark World:

Thor 1
    Iron Man 2
    Iron Man 3
    Captain Marvel
    GOTG 2 (Chris Pratt's Starlord flat out annoys me. Remove him then I'd rank higher)

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I never knew Dark World was a bad movie until the Internet told me it was.

Personally I consider all the MCU movies (so far) to be just varying levels of good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    First time I heard of this. Overall, I thought the movie was alright. Not bad, but definitely not great either. Here are MCU Flicks I consider worse than Dark World:

Thor 1
    Iron Man 2
    Iron Man 3
    Captain Marvel
    GOTG 2 (Chris Pratt's Starlord flat out annoys me. Remove him then I'd rank higher)
    There is no reality where Guardians 2, or any of the Iron Man sequels are worse than Dark World.

I thought that was The Incredible Hulk?

(I liked Yellowjacket).

Ultimate Member

I'd say I probably enjoy it more than the first Ant-Man movie, or Iron Man 2 or 3

Mighty Member

I like it better than IM3 or Captain Marvel

Incredible Member

It's the potential wasted that's why it's hated.

Christopher Eccleston as Malekith should have been able to knock it out of the park, but suffered from early "Marvel has no idea how to use their villains" syndrome.

Portman kinda phoned it in (fortunately Dennings did not).

and it's mostly let down after the avengers did the world-breaking event, it's more of the same.

It's not a bad movie, but man a few minor tweaks and it could have been something special.

It's okay - it starts out well, and I find the comedy funny, but the action scenes are lacking, imo, and as shades of eternity said, you keep seeing wasted potential, with great source material and actors squandered.

Ultimate Member

Maybe it would've worked if the plot didn't need another invasion storyline. Although I liked the "falling through the portals" fight

Niffleheim

I consider Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk and Captain Marvel to be a less than mediocre movies while Thor The Dark World just mediocre. TDW oscillated from moments of brilliance to moments of utter garbage but It still more entertaining and it had a better story structure than the MCU movies I have already listed.

Boisterously Confused

I didn't hate it. I did find it a bit jarring how hard Taylor turned the franchise from Thor's LotR feel toward more of a Space Opera feel. Malekith and his elves seemed quite shallow to me.

The most serious shortcoming of TDW to me, however, was that it didn't seem to matter to the MCU. Aside from introducing the reality stone, nothing from TDW impacted the MCU the way events in the Captain America, or even the Ant-Man franchise did. Nothing was done with Thor leaving Asgard to be with Jane. Almost all of it was either ignored in the Avengers films, or - like Loki's rule of Asgard, which should have been a very big deal - undone in a blink in Ragnarok. In fairness, I feel the same is true of IM3.

Niffleheim

For me so long as a movie within a shared universe tells its own story and is entertaining it has accomplish its goals. Focusing on the impact in the overall story being told in the MCU is a recipe for disaster. There are many MCU movies that tell stories that have no impact beyond the confines of its own franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I didn't hate it. I did find it a bit jarring how hard Taylor turned the franchise from Thor's LotR feel toward more of a Space Opera feel. Malekith and his elves seemed quite shallow to me.

The most serious shortcoming of TDW to me, however, was that it didn't seem to matter to the MCU. Aside from introducing the reality stone, nothing from TDW impacted the MCU the way events in the Captain America, or even the Ant-Man franchise did. Nothing was done with Thor leaving Asgard to be with Jane. Almost all of it was either ignored in the Avengers films, or - like Loki's rule of Asgard, which should have been a very big deal - undone in a blink in Ragnarok. In fairness, I feel the same is true of IM3.
    The way they handled that in Ragnarok irks me to this day. I really didn't like how they handled that (or, frankly, Loki in general).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I consider Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk and Captain Marvel to be a less than mediocre movies while Thor The Dark World just mediocre. TDW oscillated from moments of brilliance to moments of utter garbage but It still more entertaining and it had a better story structure than the MCU movies I have already listed.
    I'd put CM and DW at roughly the same tbh. I don't even think IH is bad either.