Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Heroes with rogue’s galleries are better franchise material then heroes without.

It’s why the modern trend of creating heroes without personal rogue’s baffle me. Miss Marvel is a cool character, but I fear for her long term sustainability because I feel the higher ups at marvel think she can just skate along poaching villains from other franchises.

It does take a while to build a rogues gallery, especially nowadays when comics tend to have longer stories.

It took Spider-Man two years to get to the Sinister Six, and that was at a time most stories were an issue long.

There is a complicating factor that characters tend to have weaker enemies in their earliest stories when they're just getting used to their powers.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 06-13-2021 at 08:52 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There is a complicating factor that characters tend to have weaker enemies in their earliest stories when they're just getting used to their powers.
    Yeah like Superman doesn't really take on Corrupt Politician #1 as often as he did when he first started, and that's probably just a shame.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Yeah like Superman doesn't really take on Corrupt Politician #1 as often as he did when he first started, and that's probably just a shame.
    Maybe writers could try to make the plots to where heroes can't just blast away their problems. Like, for instance, Superman can't just beat up a corrupt politician without reasonable cause or backlash, nor would he want. His powers help him but don't instantly solve the matter of others being involved, which he'd care about

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Maybe writers could try to make the plots to where heroes can't just blast away their problems. Like, for instance, Superman can't just beat up a corrupt politician without reasonable cause or backlash, nor would he want. His powers help him but don't instantly solve the matter of others being involved, which he'd care about
    Priest tried that in Justice League. It was really bad.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Priest tried that in Justice League. It was really bad.
    Oh, well, someone else can always try again. it's not like comics don't repeat stuff.

I haven't read Priest's JL that much. What happened in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Isn't that just basically any of the "Trial of..." stories?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Taking on corrupt pols is more Clark Kent's job as a journalist.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I always thought journalism is a job one could incorporate into being a superhero

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Perhaps, but more often Clark Kent will write stories about the adventures of Superman.

Ultimate Member

Honestly, it seems like most writers need to go back to school and learn about how to make some damn foils.

Most villains these days feel like junk thrown against a wall. It it sticks, it sticks!

Geoff Johns uses way too much ultra violence, but his JSA and Flash were excellent for having villains that actually served as foils to flesh out the heroes, to add something to the story.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    It’s why the modern trend of creating heroes without personal rogue’s baffle me. Miss Marvel is a cool character, but I fear for her long term sustainability because I feel the higher ups at marvel think she can just skate along poaching villains from other franchises.
    Arrow seemed to make a specialty of this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Supergirl was even worse. There's hardly a major Superman villain that show hasn't poached, along with more than a few others.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Supergirl was even worse. There's hardly a major Superman villain that show hasn't poached, along with more than a few others.
    Does she have that many villains of her own though? I can't recall her having any foes as prominent as Superman does

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Which rogues did they use from other heroes?