Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Branding.jpg

Incredible Member

I could see them retiring it after Crisis 2015, perhaps replacing it with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    I could see them retiring it after Crisis 2015, perhaps replacing it with something else.
    If there is a Crisis 2015.

Besides, what would they change the New 52 to . . . Same Old Stinking Pile of Feces?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    "New 75", perhaps?

Or "52 Pickup"?

Or take a page from Coke after they released "New Coke" and do "52 Classic"?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Still people shouldn't act like its the name new52 thats bothering them after COIE earth was named new earth for how many years ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Still people shouldn't act like its the name new52 thats bothering them after COIE earth was named new earth for how many years ?
    True.
    I do understand why some are put off by it, though.
    By continually branding it "New 52" on the covers, it gives the indication that it's possibly a temporary period.

If they removed the branding and continued on as is, it would do a lot to give the illusion of permanency.

As for the parts of it:
    "New"- While it may not be new anymore, technically, it'll always be newer than old DC. Kinda like B.C. and A.D.
    "52"- This is the part that's lost a lot of weight due to the drop in number of titles. However, with Multiversity being a success, 52 can move from meaning "number of books" to "number of worlds" and make it relevant again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    Branding.jpg
    This sums it up perfectly.

The thing is, a number of New 52 books and their storylines are still going on. You have Geoff Johns' Justice League, which is apparently building up to The Darkseid War, which in turn could pick up on some of the loose threads from Forever Evil. Scott Snyder's Batman has the Endgame arc, which like the climax of his run. Robin Rises is established to end with Batman having a Robin once again, but I don't know if that will be where Peter Tomasi ends his run, or if he'll keep going after that. And that's just covering the writers who are still on the books they've been writing since the New 52 began.

The Justice League, Batman, and Superman lines are safe, from what I can tell. Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest might get cancelled, or at least be seriously affected by World's End, and the sales of Justice League 3000 and Aquaman and the Others don't look good to me, but Green Arrow and Wonder Woman are getting new writers, Aquaman might cross over with Justice League depending on how Johns wants Rise of the Seven Seas to go, and I'd say The Flash is doing well enough for DC for them to keep it around. Batman is always going to be one of DC's strongest franchise characters, and Endgame and Eternal could lead to some heavy changes for the line. Superman has Geoff Johns leading the line, Supergirl is getting a new writer as well as an old one, Action Comics is doing well, Superman/Wonder Woman and Batman/Superman highlight two dynamics DC finds important, Superboy might be relaunched with a Gen 13 book, and while Doomed is a rather lengthy crossover, I'm hesitant to say that it means the Superman books will end up having as many crossovers as the Green Lantern books. I say the Green Lantern books because they show no sign of stopping when it comes to having crossover after crossover, and I think the only way that could change would be if DC were to cancel a book or two, but even then, they could easily just relaunch one of those books, and have that replace the cancelled book in the crossovers.

The Edge and Young Justice lines are by far the lines that DC has been struggling with the most. Teen Titans and New Suicide Squad debuted very well, but Infinity and the Forever People and Star Spangled Stories Starring G.I. Zombie are doing very badly, so when the time comes for these books to have had enough issues to decide if they're worth keeping around, I highly doubt DC is going to let them stay. Deathstroke and Lobo could do well for them, which at least shows that DC has some faith in the Edge line, but the Young Justice line still has only Teen Titans. Even if that book is doing well, they need other books to prop up that line, because otherwise, I don't see why they don't just make Teen Titans part of the Justice League line.

The Dark line worries me. Swamp Thing and Constantine are doing pretty poorly as well, and I could see Swamp Thing entering its final arc in October. Constantine is probably going to stick around as long as World's End will, given how it's tied to that, but after that, I'm not sure, though both Swamp Thing and Constantine have Justice League Dark to rely on. I don't know how well Klarion will do, though I doubt Ann Nocenti will do the book any favors, but then there's Trinity of Sin. The second issue is already supposedly going to have something dangerous to the very idea of the New 52, but really, to me, that just goes back to what I've been thinking.

They're keeping around the branding because there are still stories to tell about this continuity. You have shows like "The New Batman Adventures", books like New Teen Titans or New Avengers, and Marvel has their own "All-New Marvel NOW!", which even included slapping the phrase "All-New" onto books. Even if the books stop being "new" over time, they become a descriptor unto themselves. We don't know what the endpoint is for the New 52, or even if there's supposed to be one beyond Geoff Johns defining the entirety of the New 52 in "phases", at least in regards to everything up to Forever Evil being the "first" phase, and with us heading in the middle of the "second" phase. With speculation being strong for there being another Crisis next year, would that Crisis mark the end of that second phase? Would they make such a phase significantly shorter than the first? If it is, does that mark the end of the New 52 as a whole, or will there be an even bigger story that Johns would be building up to?

It's a brand, not a literal definition.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jan Itor View Post
    Last week of the month. Time for another "Dur. Why New 52?" thread.
    If u hate it u don't have to read it. The title is pretty fair warning what it is about

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    . . . The Dark line worries me. Swamp Thing and Constantine are doing pretty poorly as well, and I could see Swamp Thing entering its final arc in October. Constantine is probably going to stick around as long as World's End will, given how it's tied to that, but after that, I'm not sure, though both Swamp Thing and Constantine have Justice League Dark to rely on.
    And then there's also the upcoming Constantine TV show . . .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zsizzle View Post
    If u hate it u don't have to read it. The title is pretty fair warning what it is about
    The same holds true for DC comics that have "new52" on the front. If you don't like them, don't read them.

BANNED

U is a letter, not a word.

So we are nearly 3 years into the relaunch. Why on earth is it still called the new 52? There isn't even 52 comics and it really isn't all that new
    Odd... I don't see you saying you don't like anything with "New52" on the cover.
    Looks like a fair question based on the original premise of the brand name, to me.

There must have been a post in the thread that I missed...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    The same holds true for DC comics that have "new52" on the front. If you don't like them, don't read them.
    Problem is u assume I hate them. I actually never read comics before the new 52. I have liked it a lot. Just wondering of it is something that's gonna stick around forever

Problem is u assume I hate them. I actually never read comics before the new 52. I have liked it a lot. Just wondering of it is something that's gonna stick around forever
    It's an "assume they're a hater" mentality.
    You'll find that a lot.
    It's kind of a territorial thing.

I see you're rather new here. Welcome.