Morning Glories
    Nowhere Men
    Revival
    Fatale
    Low
    Wytches
    Something is Killing the Children
    Ms. Marvel (Kamala)
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Conan
    All Valiant
    Deadpool
    Marvel 2099
    Sandman Mystery Theatre
    The Kents
    House of Secrets (all volumes)
    Lobo
    War, western, romance, and monsters genres
    Hellblazer
    Swamp Thing
    Most mutant spin-off titles

I've always been a fan of comics but some I just couldn't get into.

The first one is the comics about superheroes. I'm not really into the superhero genre and I found it hard to connect with these characters. The same goes for comics like X-Men or Spiderman.

The second one is manga, which is a type of Japanese comic book that can be translated as "comics" in English. It's much more difficult to get into manga than American comics because these stories are meant to be read from left to right, which makes it harder for readers who don't know how to read the manga yet. For such reader, I will suggest https://mangatoon.mobi/en/genre website as it follows a much better approach.

G.I. Joe
    Punisher
    Swamp Thing
    Deadpool
    Sandman
    Spawn
    Thunderbolts
    Suicide Squad
    ROM

Astonishing Member

Too many

Lobo (awful character and totally boring)
    Grendel
    Hellboy
    Legion of Superheros
    Monstress from Image

All-New Member

Flash (2016)
    Hellboy and the B.P.R.D
    Savage Avengers (2022)
    Spider-Man 2099
    Flashpoint: Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I've given each of these a try, sometimes multiple tries, and I just couldn't get into them.

Preacher (or any non-war comic by Ennis)
    100 Bullets
    Spawn (or any of the early Image titles)
    Valiant
    Hickman's FF, Avengers or X-Men
    Walking Dead
    Deadpool
    Lumberjanes

that said, there were a lot of books I wasn't into initially that have since become favorites having tried them again at a different point in life where my experiences had broadened and my tastes evolved. Those on the list however, haven't achieved that. Conversely, there are a lot of books I used to be really into that just don't do it for me anymore and disappointed upon revisiting them.

-M
    All Garth Ennis comics are War comics really imo.

Fantastic Member

I really really don't like Wolverine.

All-New Member

According to the most recently available data, the best-selling American single-issue comic of all time was X-Men #1, which was published in 1991 and has since sold almost 8.2 million copies.

anonigviewer
    Last edited by Neha gi; 02-28-2023 at 10:02 AM.

Mighty Member

I've tried to read a few classic Claremont X-Men books, like Days of Future Past which I read last year. But I find he drowns out so much of his comics in dialogue that I may as well pick up a novel.

I appreciate the stuff he has done, and I've enjoyed his work (God love man kills is a genuine classic), but he doesn't let his comics... breath.
    Maybe it's just me with modern day sensibilities, but even old Stan Lee books where he would write like a crazy radio host where entertaining.
    I just find Claremont to be a drag. I get that People like it because they get their monies worth, but for me, the writing is only 50% of a comic and I like to see the art. Bryne is a great artist, I want to see it.

All-New Member

1. “Reading with Pictures: Comics That Make Kids Smarter”
    2. “Sketch Monsters: Escape of the Scribbles”
    3. “Diary of a Wimpy Kid”
    4. “Bone”
    5. “Calvin and Hobbes”
    6. “Archie”
    7. “Garfield”
    8. “Shen Comix”
    9. “Peanuts”
    10. “Maus”
    11. “Spider-Man”
    12. “Watchmen”
    13. “The Sandman”
    14. “Fables”
    15. “Romantically Apocalyptic”
    16. “Batman”
    17. “Superman”
    18. “X-Men”
    19. “Ms. Marvel”

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Were there comics that were actually quite popular or had a lot of critical acclaim that you just somehow couldn't get into whether it was lack of interests or just not your cup of tea? Or if you just picky?

Harley Quinn--it's too much like the Deadpool comics
    Deadpool--it's too zany and random. At first, I enjoyed it, but no, it's not my flavor of humor.
    Joker--the series with someone like Heath Ledger's Joker just makes the Joker look like a simple blood-thirsty thug. This isn't the Joker to me.

Series that I thought had potential

Redhood and Arsenal/the Outlaws--they occasionally bring back more obscure characters, such as the Earth 3 Joker, Duela Dent, Bizarro, and forgotten Teen Titans characters.

Countdown Presents--this graphic novel isn't even in print anymore, and it's not available electronically, to my knowledge, but it had some really good ideas. The story that presents the Earth 3 story is pretty nice. I actually wanted to spend more time with the characters, and it's a shame the writers decided to kill off the Earth 3 Joker.

Forever Evil--my only complaint is that Owlman killed off the Earth 3 anti-heroes, so they didn't accompany Owlman to the main Earth to help the Justice League fight him off. Justice League vs. Evil Justice League is a nice concept, but am I the only one who thinks it would have been more fun if the rogues and their anti-hero counterparts also joined forces to fight the Crime Syndicate?

Gwenpool--you'd think I'd hate something that's basically Deadpool on steroids, but Gwen is just a better character. She's awesome and fully embraces the zaniness of her world. Harley should take tips from her!
    Last edited by kcomics; 10-06-2022 at 04:36 AM.

BANNED

The Walking Dead and Saga. The art and the writing puts me off, respectively.

Tintin. Everything about it puts me off, really.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I want to address a lot of people posting Cerebus on their list. While I love Cerebus, it might be the most difficult "great" comic to get into. The first 24 issues of Cerebus are incredibly unremarkable, being a very amateurish parody of Marvel's Conan. The series hits its peak with High Society and Church and State, but you can't skip to these storylines because the you need to read the first 24 issues to get context for the events of High Society. Afterwards the comic becomes increasingly more and more abstract, with the final batch of issues being a series of glorified essays.

My introduction to Cerebus was Latter Days, often considered by fans to be the worst volume in the series. After multiple attempts I learned to love Cerebus, if not necessarily for the story itself, but for it's sheer ambition and the beautiful art by Dave Sim that gets better and better as the series goes on.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 12-23-2022 at 11:19 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I want to address a lot of people posting Cerebus on their list. While I love Cerebus, it might be the most difficult "great" comic to get into. The first 24 issues of Cerebus are incredibly unremarkable, being a very amateurish parody of Marvel's Conan. The series hits its peak with High Society and Church and State, but you can't skip to these storylines because the you need to read the first 24 issues to get context for the events of High Society. Afterwards the comic becomes increasingly more and more abstract, with the final batch of issues being a series of glorified essays.

My introduction to Cerebus was Latter Days, often considered by fans to be the worst volume in the series. After multiple attempts I learned to love Cerebus, if not necessarily for the story itself, but for it's sheer ambition and the beautiful art by Dave Sim that gets better and better as the series gors on.
    The first 24 issues are funny, and I like them as much as High Society and the later volumes. I don't know where it became unreadable for me, but that was very much later. I still got through it.