Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default House of Almerac Maxima Appreciation 2021

At the end of the year, all Appreciation threads are closed and new threads for the coming year are put in place.

Appreciation threads are for just that - Appreciation. Not for debate, not for slamming and not for bringing other characters down by comparison.

This thread is for the Appreciation of Maxima!

Commence appreciating!

Gaelforce
    WW Moderator
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

What are the odds we'll see classic Max return alongside new Max? I wanna say slightly worse than DC making Steve and Diana work, but does anyone still hold out hope?

I hope to see her again. Classic one, I mean. Lets see how story develops after the end of Death metal. Or until a writer who can make a good use of the character appears.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I hope to see her again. Classic one, I mean. Lets see how story develops after the end of Death metal. Or until a writer who can make a good use of the character appears.
    I still think she should be retconned as the mother of Nu Max. You could parallel her to Clark as a parent that way too.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I still think she should be retconned as the mother of Nu Max. You could parallel her to Clark as a parent that way too.
    I can see that as a good solution and as a compromise.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I can see that as a good solution and as a compromise.
    Yeah. The only real similarity the new and old Max have is costume and hair color. Neither has to erase the other. Hair color can be genetic, costume color the banner of their royal lineage on Almerac. It all fits fine.

Happy New Year to Maxima (and ditto on that mom idea) .

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah. The only real similarity the new and old Max have is costume and hair color. Neither has to erase the other. Hair color can be genetic, costume color the banner of their royal lineage on Almerac. It all fits fine.
    It really does, but not only does it fit, it also opens up tons of narrative options for both of them and expands on the royal family, which again opens up even more possibilities.

Star Wars meets Game of Thrones. It's so f**king obvious I wonder why DC hasn't pulled the trigger on this yet? I hold out some slim hope that the new Superman writer might delve into this in some fashion; his work on Last God and the fact that his run is going cosmic makes me think it's at least vaguely possible. I mean, if you're gonna do cosmic Superman then Almerac seems like an obvious outlet; it's a whole corner of the galaxy that belongs exclusively to the Super mythos, has a basic foundation behind it, but not so much development you can't do your own thing with it.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-01-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It really does, but not only does it fit, it also opens up tons of narrative options for both of them and expands on the royal family, which again opens up even more possibilities. Especially if you retain the idea that post-Crisis Maxima was homophobic and New52 Max is gay. Tons of family drama, chances for character development and growth, and lots of political schemes and games as the other royal Houses of Almerac plot to make the most of the throne not having a "suitable" heir.
    I have a whole pitch for bringing classic Max back and you touched on part of it, though I wouldn't say her problem would be homophobia so much as blatant disregard for tradition and finding a powerful mate. I don't know if it's ever touched upon, but the way Max was introduced, I imagine Almerac's leaders have had concubines and it's not a stretch to imagine some of them were same-sex. Thing is, Nu Max doesn't want to procreate with some uber powerful alien to add to their DNA, so that's where I think OG Max would draw ire; after all, she did it to birth her daughter. She's a galactic conqueror version of the mom from Brave, to tl;dr the whole thing. I think it works as a proof of concept and opens more doors than it shuts.

But yeah, Max is a villain/anti-villain/anti-hero I think is perfect to bring back in the Rebirth era as a mother and foil to Clark.

I only bring up the homophobia because it was mentioned in a few JLA issues and fits nicely with Nu Max being sent to "space superhero high school" which, presumably, gets her out of the way for a "proper" heir to the throne. It's most definitely not a hill I'd even consider dying on, and even in those JLA issues was a pretty minor thing, used mostly just so Diana (or maybe Vixen?) could call Max out on her intolerance.

I think if Max *is* homophobic, it would definitely be tied into the throne's need to sire a powerful heir. That's a massive motivation for the royal family, and you're right that it's probably enough to fuel the narrative without Maxima being homophobic.

Who do you peg for Nu Max's father? And does your pitch tap into why Nu Max isn't a viable heir (she'd have been alive before Maxima started chasing Clark after all).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Who do you peg for Nu Max's father? And does your pitch tap into why Nu Max isn't a viable heir (she'd have been alive before Maxima started chasing Clark after all).
    Vartox maybe? (LOL)
    Or one of the members of the Superwatch. There are a lot of potential suitors there.

I only bring up the homophobia because it was mentioned in a few JLA issues and fits nicely with Nu Max being sent to "space superhero high school" which, presumably, gets her out of the way for a "proper" heir to the throne. It's most definitely not a hill I'd even consider dying on, and even in those JLA issues was a pretty minor thing, used mostly just so Diana (or maybe Vixen?) could call Max out on her intolerance.

I think if Max *is* homophobic, it would definitely be tied into the throne's need to sire a powerful heir. That's a massive motivation for the royal family, and you're right that it's probably enough to fuel the narrative without Maxima being homophobic.

Well he'd need to be someone who informs Nu Max's biology so I'd start there. He'd mirror Clark's personality as a clear stand-in and where his daughter gets her radical ideas from (more on that later) since Maxima rules and he is more or less along for the ride, thus having more time to raise their child alongside her instructors. As for Nu Max, I think she can be about 16 in current lore, so five-six years younger than Jon should be, so I think it works out. It means Superman had to be a public figure for about six years before his son was born, and I imagine Lois and Clark had Jon a few years into their marriage at least (after assuming it wasn't possible, maybe trying anyway, etc). My pitch has Max appear around the time Lois starts dating Clark Kent. I imagine even Max gets the idea it's not happening after-- at most-- a year and after that she considers Kal an option because their kid would be the strongest, but she doesn't wait on him forever.

And not just because it'd be silly to, but also she's a ruler and for her to wait on some schmuck forever would appear weak; Almerac takes, it doesn't wait, so even if she loved Clark (and I don't think she ever did or really would) she'd move on with that option open if needed.

As for Nu Max, you kind of hit it on the head. I think the school situation would be a "get with it or get out of the way" situation for Nu Max. She's not trying to get her killed or anything, she's still her daughter, but she's looking to position the board to a place where she won't be the Maxima who birthed the rebellious Maxima, if that makes sense; the position got to her head and she started thinking as a monarch exclusively and not as a parent. I think that Nu Max wouldn't share the Almeracian love of conquest from an early age and start asking about more peaceful reform and perhaps letting conquered planets regain their independence. Max would still love her daughter, but think her weak and unfit to rule.

If it were up to me I'd just make Nu Maxima's dad none other than Clark. This way she ties to the Superman mythos. Come on Clark had a life before settling with Lois.

This new Action Comics direction with Superman in space would have a team up with the original Maxima fit like a glove.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This new Action Comics direction with Superman in space would have a team up with the original Maxima fit like a glove.
    What if Maxima and Clark knee each other already and Maxima shows Clark her(their) daughter.