Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I thought jean was in her early 30s
    JDW has been very clear that the original X-Men will never be over 30 at this point.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I thought jean was in her early 30s
    Yeah, sort of, but if Scott is "28" according to JDW, Jean would be about the same age despite common sense saying they should both be older.

Longer story, though, is she was in suspended animation while Phoenix was impersonating her, and then she was dead again at the end of Morrison's run. So when she came back in her Resurrection title, assuming she did not age during those breaks, she would be somewhat behind Scott, who did die for a time as well. So it kind of depends on how any of these resurrections impact their aging. Physically her body might be younger. Mentally, she did spend some years in a future alternate timeline.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    JDW has been very clear that the original X-Men will never be over 30 at this point.
    Seeing as how the Five resurrects mutants in their prime any way, Jean is currently 25 biologically at most.

Mentally, she’s older anyway. She and Scott spent years in the Askani future in different bodies as Redd and Slym.

Mighty Member

Does anyone actually know his age?

Cause right now it seems like you guys are avoiding his age.

If the 05, are in their late 20's, then a peer of the New-Xmen group is not above 21.

The New Mutants/Gen X crowd is the one in their mid-20s.

So all the examples are bad. Calling someone who can't even legally drink a boy/girl is not the same as an adult with years of leadership/adventures.

Jean is 28 with experience since the 60's (that's at least 6 decades). NohVarr is less than 21 with only two decades of experience.

BANNED

I’m a noted misandrist and respected feminist and I actually love Jeans costume. Waaaaay better than the “Girl boss” power momma bullshit in a FULL LEOTARD. Wtf kinda time y’all on?

She’s created by men. Literally EVERY choice will in fact be tainted by misogyny - conscious or unconscious. At least this way sis is giving carefree and fun.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Noh-Varr would at least be in his mid twenties, potentially older. He's definitely not 21 if the rest of the Young Avengers bar Cassie Lang are older than 21, which they are since they were seen drinking panel in the United States at the Wiccan/Hulkling wedding. We're not talking about the time they've existed as superheroes but how old the characters actually are and the age range they fall into. A character that is ~25 is ultimately in the same age group as a character that is ~28, and if Scott's 28 then Jean is probably younger due to the collective time that she spent dead which is at least 4 years between being stuck at the bottom of Jamaica Bay and the time that she was dead after Morrison's run. (3 months to allow Scott and Maddy to have a whirlwind marriage, 9 months for Nathan to gestate, 3 canonical years between the Genosha massacre and beginning of the Krakoa era).

So really? Jean's physically 24. There. A quantifiable number.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Incredible Member

And listen, by the way, Brian screwed up all the time. Like, I love Brian Braddock. I love him. But he screwed up. He was an alcoholic who mistreated his wife terribly
    Someone can save Brian from X-Office! Not enough the horrible way they treat Wanda, all because of a story for the X-men, to benefit the X-men! And she went to hell comic

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

The original version of the Legion of Super-Heroes made it to around 30 with most of the Boy/Girl and Lad/Lass suffixes intact
    My flag is bacon.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PANDEMONIUM View Post
    I’m a noted misandrist and respected feminist and I actually love Jeans costume. Waaaaay better than the “Girl boss” power momma bullshit in a FULL LEOTARD. Wtf kinda time y’all on?

She’s created by men. Literally EVERY choice will in fact be tainted by misogyny - conscious or unconscious. At least this way sis is giving carefree and fun.
    I love nothing more than reading men accusing other men of sexism because they've dared to draw a female character wearing a short skirt.

Especially when the same men have hundreds/thousands of posts gatekeeping said characters vagina and who she should be having sex with.

Especially when the same men are only using said short skirt "concern" to attack/harass creators because their chosen obsession isn't the one receiving the preferential treatment they believe other characters/other females are receiving.

The transparency is real ya"ll.
    Last edited by OmegaStorm87; 06-14-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member

These are more useful for insight on how things work rather than actual hints which makes sense.So my takes:-

Gambit has no big plans.Just Tini using him to get more on sales.

Hickman's run was interfered with massively and he had to accomodate other ideas that he may not have wanted to.Thinking critical has great video's on this

The Marvel woman stuff to me is not important.Both are stupid names but Marvel Girl rolls of the tongue's easier.Say it enough times and both can work.
    The costume is a bit much but her's is one of the only powersets it can work with and Hickman is clearly going for nostalgia.
    Also aside from number of skintight wearing heroes(basically naked with color instead of skin showing) we have Namor so I would not say Jean is underdressed.

The brian stuff reminds me of the issue where Brian talks to Meggan about Spider-man and Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    I love nothing more than reading men accusing other men of sexism because they've dared to draw a female character wearing a short skirt.

Especially when the same men have hundreds/thousands of posts gatekeeping said characters vagina and who she should be having sex with.

Especially when the same men are only using said short skirt "concern" to attack/harass creators because their chosen obsession isn't the one receiving the preferential treatment they believe other characters/other females are receiving.

The transparency is real ya"ll.
    You are accusing people without proof. I saw many women against it and shoot, I'm a woman too even if I'm tomboy and never cared about dress/skirts...
    I don't like indetifying myself as woman for manuy reasons, but this baseless speculation for me is crazy.

It's actualy good that men see sexism and call it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    These are more useful for insight on how things work rather than actual hints which makes sense.So my takes:-

Gambit has no big plans.Just Tini using him to get more on sales.

Hickman's run was interfered with massively and he had to accomodate other ideas that he may not have wanted to.Thinking critical has great video's on this

The Marvel woman stuff to me is not important.Both are stupid names but Marvel Girl rolls of the tongue's easier.Say it enough times and both can work.
    The costume is a bit much but her's is one of the only powersets it can work with and Hickman is clearly going for nostalgia.
    Also aside from number of skintight wearing heroes(basically naked with color instead of skin showing) we have Namor so I would not say Jean is underdressed.

The brian stuff reminds me of the issue where Brian talks to Meggan about Spider-man and Peter.
    what are these interferences on Hickman's run? I know he made some time for X of sowrd but it fit his X-men run.

What? Namor is using pants now and he is a swimmer. Makes sense for him use less clothes.
    If a character is flying it can't be used miniskirts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Someone can save Brian from X-Office! Not enough the horrible way they treat Wanda, all because of a story for the X-men, to benefit the X-men! And she went to hell comic
    A lot of X-men screwed up a lot worse. I don't see why Brian is being single out to be punished
    Last edited by Rang10; 06-14-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    You are accusing people without proof. I saw many women against it and shoot, I'm a woman too even if I'm tomboy and never cared about dress/skirts...
    I don't like indetifying myself as woman for manuy reasons, but this baseless speculation for me is crazy.
    Does it matter though?
    I'm not being sarcastic or anything.
    If jean were to wear a bodysuit like scott and was called marvel woman would that change anything.
    I would much rather she have a better story like being the leader instead of having scott do it for the 100th time.
    It makes sense cause of everything that happened before people are or should not be as trusting of scott.He should be the team tactician whereas jean can lead the team.
    She has done well a couple of times in the past.

Extraordinary Member

Does it matter though?
    If jean were to wear a bodysuit like scott and was called marvel woman would that change anything.
    I would much rather she have a better story like being the leader instead of having scott do it for the 100th time.
    It makes sense cause of everything that happened before people are or should not be as trusting of scott.He should be the team tactician whereas jean can lead the team.
    It is not like Duggan has buried any of the female members of his Maruaders cast. Jean was the one who orchestrated the election and announced the team. She is prominent in defying the QC to join the mission to Otherworld as well as in informing Xavier and Magneto of their plans to formally form the team. I think she is in a good place going into this.

That said, long term theory, both Scott and Jean (and others) are being manipulated by Xavier/Krakoa. So I am stopping short of describing anything going on as being her story.

I still can't get over how poorly Jean was written in HOX 4. On that mission to destroy Mother Mold she folded like a dollar store greeting card. The green dress and yellow mask only look good when Larraz draws it and "Marvel Girl?"...naw, she should've just kept Phoenix. And "Marvel Woman" is too generic and speaks nothing of the complexity and uniqueness of Jean.
    Just like Tina Turner kept her name after all the bullshit she went through with Ike Turner, Jean should've kept "Phoenix." The Phoenix put her through hell, she deserves the name.
    Mutant and Proud!

Does it matter though?
    At least she would look good and with a better codename.

I would rather better writing too, But I don't know wy I should have to choose? Why she can't have it all?

It doesn't look like a problem for many characters on this era.