Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Your points changed my perspective on what Jean did in that space pod. I guess I was expecting a monumental feat, however considering the circumstances. Thanks for the reply/comment.
    She did sort of have a monumental feat though - she maintained contact with Xavier from a distance of 95 million miles and then held a space pod together in the vacuum of space while doing so. Those are both BIG DEALS. And that's without them advertising big moments for her like she's meant to have in PSXM and X-Men #1.

#21 was a similarly substantial, yet quiet feat for her.

*EDIT*

Edited to note that Xavier needed the Stepford Cuckoos and Cerebro to maintain contact on his end but Jean had no such help once Monet sacrificed herself.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 06-14-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    What about her Morrison costume? It looks like the costumea uses on FoX-men movies. I always thought her 90s costume was more recognizable than the dress. A lot of her costumes even use it as a base
    The 90s one is very iconic.

Your points changed my perspective on what Jean did in that space pod. I guess I was expecting a monumental feat, however considering the circumstances. Thanks for the reply/comment.
    I still think it was poor showing. Dead is a non faor and she acted as she was 15 all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    She did sort of have a monumental feat though - she maintained contact with Xavier from a distance of 95 million miles and then held a space pod together in the vacuum of space while doing so. Those are both BIG DEALS. And that's without them advertising big moments for her like she's meant to have in PSXM and X-Men #1.

#21 was a similarly substantial, yet quiet feat for her.

*EDIT*

Edited to note that Xavier needed the Stepford Cuckoos and Cerebro to maintain contact on his end but Jean had no such help once Monet sacrificed herself.
    I think I love Jean so much I was expecting her to just pull through and save the day despite the odds. I have to revisit HOX 4. She was doing a lot. I sound ungrateful. LOL!
    Mutant and Proud!

Extraordinary Member

Cyclops got put down like a lame horse and Mystique looked like a cat getting tossed off a bridge. Jean was the only one that the reader would have any emotional impact from the deaths out there, she is the POV character.

For some of us, our issue with Jean in HOX #4 wasn't about feats but characterization instead. The rest of the team(not counting Warren and Paige, for obvious reasons) ce across as resolute in the mission objective despite the severity of the situation. Practical, focused...ready to make the sacrifice play when push comes to shove. Jean came across as shakey, unsure and dependent.

Jean is a veteran many times over and has been in dire straits plenty of times, but I'll keep it space themed just to narrow it down:

Jean was not like that during the solar flare shuttle incident, and it fact is one of her bravest moments ever.

Nor was Jean like that during Fall of Avalon when her and Scott were suddenly warped into enemy territory with an exploded space station falling apart all around them and finding out one of her former charges just died and having to fly through wreckage to find her other former student and help them both survive atmospheric re-entry together.

Fantastic Member

Honestly HOX #4 has become iconic thanks to Jean fans lol.

Extraordinary Member

Jean's job was to run comms. She was relaying information between Xavier and the team. At no point did she fail or even falter in her duty.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Jean's job was to run comms. She was relaying information between Xavier and the team. At no point did she fail or even falter in her duty.
    Tbf it was a little bit embarrassing that M had to check her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    Tbf it was a little bit embarrassing that M had to check her.
    Yeah, I kind of blame the artist for giving Jean that face (in two straight panels) while Monet is being Monet.

BANNED

Marvel Woman does sound stupid, but there was nothing to stop them from being creative and giving her a new superhero name and costume except utter disinterest in the character.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    It was such a real opportunity to save Remy from Excalibur. Even limbo would be better.
    The funniest part of "“Actually I do have stuff I would want to keep doing with Gambit"?
    The funniest part is for Howard to say *keep doing* -- as if anything has been happening with him over the 20+ issues.

It's funnier than saying Rogue would play a central role in that recent Excalibur story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Concerning Gambit that answer just seems like the polite answer that there are no real plans with Gambit. To clarify: what they consider plans are what has been happening so far.

I wouldn't want Jordan Whites job. At least the interview part of it. He can't say it as it it. It would be so frustrating.

And then you sometimes get Q&A like the first question:

Q: Could you talk a bit about how the telepathic election came about?
    A: Sure, I thought of it and then the writer wrote it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Yeah, they are both stupid names, so in that case go with the stupid one that doesn't belittle her.

I just like her as Jean Grey.
    He should go with the simplest answer: it keeps the Marvel Girl trademark in use.

The Red Dragon

I think I love Jean so much I was expecting her to just pull through and save the day despite the odds. I have to revisit HOX 4. She was doing a lot. I sound ungrateful. LOL!
    I get you. For me it wasnt the fact that she folded, it was how she folded. She could have still shown resolve and determination. I didnt get anything of that....she just came off like it was her first mission or her first time facing death. Even M had to tell her to try harder. That’s not the Jean I know.

For her code name....Marvel woman sounds stupid just as Marvel Girl. She’s come back from the dead or reinvented herself so many times Phoenix is quite appropriate.
    Last edited by Tank; 06-14-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    "Can you complete the mission?"

"I don't know if..."

Then gets man-splained about completing the mission, soldiering on, etc.

Panicking about needing Monet to maintain the connection and doubting her own self, prompting the derisive "I dunno, try harder Marvel Girl"

Jean is made of sterner stuff