Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    Now I'm curious. Has an adult male hero ever had boy as part of their codename?
    Noh-Varr is currently Marvel Boy and in the 80s I believe Earth 2 Dick Grayson was still referred to as the Boy Wonder.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Fantastic Member

I hope Jean stays in the green mini dress forever.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Noh-Varr is currently Marvel Boy and in the 80s I believe Earth 2 Dick Grayson was still referred to as the Boy Wonder.
    Isn't he a teenager/young adult though? Around the age of the New X-Men characters?Jean is not a teen, nor is she college age. Although I'm sure she'll always be drawn as if she's eternally 18.

Astonishing Member

For anyone interested Si Spurrier was on this weeks Xplain the X-men podcast talking a bit about Way of X again.

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    Marvel Woman sounds fine imo and wow that mask looks bad, if they're going to keep that outfit they should tweak it.
    I agree on Marvel Woman sounding fine as code name. Though i'm pretty sure it still won't become heavily associated with Jean Grey in pop culture since she has been cemented in it with her civilian name primarily. Marvel Girl or Marvel Woman are therefor both equaly meaningless to the character at large, because the codename never really stuck in public perception with the character.

Similar to how Kitty Pryde is rememebred as Kitty Pryde in pop culture and it's rare enough people will remember that her official code name has been Shadowcat for a long while (though i've seen someone who is weirdly adamant on calling her Sprite). Even the recent "Kate" won't stick because public perception is based around the "Kitty" version.

The comics can try to change all they want, the public mind has seemingly been made up and it won't change. Especialy as the comics have increasingly diminished in relevance to said overall perception of the character.

Also same reason applies to how i see her wearing that old getup. It's out of date, it looks boring and nobody outside limited parts of the comic fandom seems to associates it with Jean Grey since she is defined by the Phoenix outfit and perhaps the outfit from the cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Does Jean even need a code name? Everyone (fans and in-book characters) mainly refer to her as Jean anyway.
    Agreed. Sometimes people will say "Marvel Girl" and it takes me a moment to realize who they are talking about.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Isn't he a teenager/young adult though? Around the age of the New X-Men characters?Jean is not a teen, nor is she college age. Although I'm sure she'll always be drawn as if she's eternally 18.
    He's as much an adult as Jean or any of the other X-Men will ever be. He's dating Hercules who is definitely an adult.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Mighty Member

He's as much an adult as Jean or any of the other X-Men will ever be. He's dating Hercules who is definitely an adult.
    But what is his age? Jean was a teen back in the 60s! Was he a teen back in the 60s? I know he was introduced in the 2000's so yeah, I really doubt he's in Jean's age group. I always thought the New X-Men kids were his peers.

But what is his age? Jean was a teen back in the 60s! Was he a teen back in the 60s? I know he was introduced in the 2000's so yeah, I really doubt he's in Jean's age group. I always thought the New X-Men kids were his peers.
    He got aged up on Young avengers, but he was around same age as kate Bishop on the beginning of tht run

Hm interesting to know

I think he's in his mid twenties at the oldest.

He's from another universe and he was notably older than the rest of the Young Avengers back when he was a member (Loki aside); but does it really matter? Jean and Noh-Varr are both "under thirty." They're contemporaries. That's what matters.

Astonishing Member

How old is Jean supposed to be anyway? Always got the impression that she around 23-25 which is still fairly young especially with the Ressurections.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    How old is Jean supposed to be anyway? Always got the impression that she around 23-25 which is still fairly young especially with the Ressurections.
    Probably a bit older than that. 26-28 would be appropriate, I imagine.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

It was pretty clear why they decided to show her in the look before going phoenix but now that JDW has clearly explained it for the Jean fans hopefully they can give that a rest and stop harassing the xmen creators about it.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I thought jean was in her early 30s

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    She was born in 1956, so that makes her 65. Agreed that it's a little bit on the older side to be wearing a mini skirt but who am I to tell other women what they can and can't wear.