Default Louise Simonson's New Mutants (vol1) and X-factor runs--Worth reading?

I hear some folks say her NM is a mixed bag, but that her XF run (both 1987-1991) is pretty good in some aspects-introducing Apocalypse, giving Iceman a love interest, making them give up the mutant hunter gimmicks.

I liked the introduction of Archangel as Death and some of the later NM characters like Boom Boom and Rictor.
    Im curious if folks think CC New Mutants vol. 1 run is better, worse, or the same.

Thoughts?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Well... I wasn't too thrilled with her NM's as a whole, kind of morbid, though I admit Dougs death was iconic, and one issue leaves a bad taste in my mouth and its fans. I don't think they realized how dangerous they made it for some people. :-/

I prefer her X-Factor.

The Simonson run on X-Factor was an improvement, and I'll always be grateful for Archangel!

As for New Mutants, It became exciting once Rob Liefeld joined & brought Cable along with him!

Extraordinary Member

Claremont's New Mutants is some of his best work ever, often surpassing his run on Uncanny. It's better than anything Lousie has ever written.

Her New Mutants is a massive, massive step down. Its only real value is in how important its parts of Fall of the Mutants and Inferno are for the characters of Cypher and Magik respectively, not the quality of those those stories. With Inferno in particular it might be better to just read a basic outline than the actual issues since it contradicts so much of what came before both continuity-wise and character-wise, and neither tie in with the stories in Uncanny or X-Factor during the same events.

Her X-Factor fares somewhat better. The premise is terrible, but she managed to do some good things with it. I don't think it deserves all the praise it gets, but it's better than it has a right to be given how badly the Bob Layton issues regressed or butchered the 05.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Claremont's New Mutants is some of his best work ever, often surpassing his run on Uncanny. It's better than anything Lousie has ever written.

Her New Mutants is a massive, massive step down. Its only real value is in how important its parts of Fall of the Mutants and Inferno are for the characters of Cypher and Magik respectively, not the quality of those those stories. With Inferno in particular it might be better to just read a basic outline than the actual issues since it contradicts so much of what came before both continuity-wise and character-wise, and neither tie in with the stories in Uncanny or X-Factor during the same events.
    Think Power Pack with 15-18 year olds acting like Pre-Teens.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 06-16-2021 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

Her X-Factor fares somewhat better. The premise is terrible, but she managed to do some good things with it. I don't think it deserves all the praise it gets, but it's better than it has a right to be given how badly the Bob Layton issues regressed or butchered the 05.

Think you sum it up really well. The run is certainly worth reading to understand what happens to certain characters and how we get X-Force, but it's a big step down from Claremont. Once Dani & Illyana are written out it really doesn't feel like the same book. I like the X-Factor kids but they are never well integrated into the cast (especially poor Rusty & Skids).

If Doug didn't die, nobody would ever recommend the NM portion of Fall of the Mutants for example.

There are a couple of good issues/arcs though, the issue where Warlock doesn't understand that Doug is dead for example.

I do really like her X-Factor run though, despite semi-regular reunions and one-off storylines, it's still the only time I've enjoyed reading the 'O5' together.