Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Are Polaris and Rachel two potential Omega Level mutants in waiting?

They have the same powers as their parents Magneto and Jean, who are Omega Level.

Yet they themselves are not considered Omegas.

Could they reach Omega Level with enough time?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    They have the same powers as their parents Magneto and Jean, who are Omega Level.

Yet they themselves are not considered Omegas.

Could they reach Omega Level with enough time?
    In Hickman's version, they need to be the most powerful of their class and also be more powerful than anything achievable through other means.

So, they have two lines: kill their parents and any other mutant more powerful than them (and still be more powerful than any non-mutant), or somehow become more powerful than their parent.

I do not put it past writers to make either happen.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    In Hickman's version, they need to be the most powerful of their class and also be more powerful than anything achievable through other means.

So, they have two lines: kill their parents and any other mutant more powerful than them (and still be more powerful than any non-mutant), or somehow become more powerful than their parent.

I do not put it past writers to make either happen.
    No, its not a rule that there can only be on omega level per power type or Jean and Quentin wouldn't be both be Omega Level Telepaths. Its just that they arent considered Omega level for Magnetism for Polaris or telepathy or telekinesis for Rachel. If anything even with similar powers its to bad Polaris powers couldn't be more electromagnetic as maybe that would have pushed Hickman to say she was an omega level in electromagnetism while Magneto was in omega level in Magnetism and Rachel imo could easily been omega level for telekinesis while Jean was that for telepathy.

Other folks that have people wondering about potential omega level seem to be Rogue, Synch, Manifold, and Meggan. I wonder what other character people think could be omega level that have been skipped over?

I've pointed out before that technically based on the current definition, Polaris should be considered Omega already. At different points in her history, she's been described either as having the potential to surpass Magneto, as being his equal (The Twelve), or as actually having surpassed him already (albeit when his powers were weakened).

That said, today's AIPT shows there's room for them to tweak the definition or how they came to this list of mutants in a way that would make Lorna not being considered Omega make sense despite this history.
    Last edited by salarta; 06-14-2021 at 06:45 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    No, its not a rule that there can only be on omega level per power type or Jean and Quentin wouldn't be both be Omega Level Telepaths.
    Fair enough, for some reason I thought there was some sort of explanation in an interview or something about why two telepaths were on there. In that case, there is nothing they can do since Chuck knows the future so he knows who the (potential) Omegas are, and if they are not on the list, they are not now nor ever Omega.

Wasn't Rachel the original omega ?

Mighty Member

Polaris should've already surpassed Magneto but since he's a main character and he's forever 40-50 years old, I don't see it happening soon.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Wasn't Rachel the original omega ?
    This. The term was first coined specifically to refer to Rachel. She IS the original Omega.

I would have to go back and re-read but was it Nimrod or something similar that referenced Rachel as omega, but that distinction/classification is probably different from the one that Xavier uses and the one used in X-Men Forever where Jean finds out that she and Iceman are considered omega level mutants.

I do feel bad that Rachel is left out but there have been numerous times where Cable, Nate Grey, Rachel, and Stryfe have been characterized as insanely powerful or off the charts powerful... so it really doesn't take anything away from them that Jean, Quire, and Exodus outclass them. They are all still OP and have the feats to prove it.

Extraordinary Member

Rachel is not really from here, which might be something Xavier is taking into account. If I was her, I'd be hesitant to rely on the Krakoa resurrection protocols unless we have seen any other Alt-U characters come back yet.

Incredible Member

If it were me, I would kick Quentin out of the one of the Omega telepath position and replace him with Rachel. I never thought he deserved the Omega status, either through his feats or how he self-bestowed it on himself. Many of the other telepaths seem vastly superior to him.

That said, I wonder if writers are trying to avoid a nepotism/heritable aspect to Omegas. If Rachel and Lorna have Omega level powers, then Mister Sinister's obsessions are correct and the mutant nations should just do force-breeding of the Summers-Grey and Magneto blood line to create an army of omegas.

Astonishing Member

Every popular X-men character, or related to an important character has the option to be eventualy overblown to omega status by the writers.

Because that's the major source of such a status, popularity and writer favoritism, not just in X-men but any media involving super powers, adding a flimsy explanation is only a formality.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    If it were me, I would kick Quentin out of the one of the Omega telepath position and replace him with Rachel. I never thought he deserved the Omega status, either through his feats or how he self-bestowed it on himself. Many of the other telepaths seem vastly superior to him.

That said, I wonder if writers are trying to avoid a nepotism/heritable aspect to Omegas. If Rachel and Lorna have Omega level powers, then Mister Sinister's obsessions are correct and the mutant nations should just do force-breeding of the Summers-Grey and Magneto blood line to create an army of omegas.
    Well according to Hickman, Moria specifically bred with Joseph MacTaggert
    and set up Charles to meet Gabriel Haller, to push out two Omega Level mutants: Proteus and Legion.

So the bloodline thing is true.

BANNED

and set up Charles to meet Gabriel Haller, to push out two Omega Level mutants: Proteus and Legion.

Ehhh that is iffy they do create powerful mutants though. I mean if bloodline was all there is to becoming an omega I am most certain sinister would have been one by now. The fact of the matter is mutations are unpredictable yes an omega is more likely to birth a powerful mutant or even another omega but they could also give birth to humans. That is a possiblity. There is no rule book that says that two mutants give birth to mutants though there is a high chance. But there seems to certain bloodline which are comparable and can produce astoundingly powerful mutants. But the summers on their own I wouldn't consider an omega line as even vulcan was stated not to be inherently born omega but absorbed all the mutant energy from M day to push him there and possibly beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Every popular X-men character, or related to an important character has the option to be eventualy overblown to omega status by the writers.

Because that's the major source of such a status, popularity and writer favoritism, not just in X-men but any media involving super powers, adding a flimsy explanation is only a formality.
    Hence why Hickman cut the lost and made the criteria defined. I mean I get it though for a whole forty years marvel dodged giving storm her omega title due even though it is stated that she has no true limits to her power when pushed. They even went on to create potential omega category which is dumb. I get why people are shook by the fact that lorna was not given the title or that Rachel was booted of the list they are very powerful in their respective abilities Rachel has been stated on panel to be a virtually unlimited psionic. But in terms of feat and showcases of power I do understand why magneto was picked over lorna... I mean it is just stated never shown that she is more powerful. But Rachel's is the one I do not understand and for Quentin? Like damn

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This plus Sinister's obsession with the Summers/Grey bloodline to produce an immensely powerful mutant.

But then again, if we were to include every single character who's been characterised as extremely powerful in the past, I suspect the Omega list would be pretty much endless.

On Rachel, I agree with cranger that her being AU could automatically exclude her from the list. Plus Omega level/raw power doesn't necessarily mean more powerful if training and skill are superior in another mutant: Charley has been repeatedly called "Earth's mightiest telepath" and he's not Omega, and I have little doubt the likes of Rachel and Emma could take Quentin Quire if they needed to.