Thread: Genius

Default Genius

Is anyone else reading this book? It's one of the old Pilot Season winners from Top Cow (the zero issue is free on Comixology right now), and is currently being published weekly until all five issues are out. I think it's super timely, given what's happening in America, but beyond that it's excellently written and the Afua Richardson's art is breathtaking.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Amazing Member

I wasn't that impressed with the Pilot Season issue so i haven't picked up any of the current omes.

Quote Originally Posted by manatree View Post
    I wasn't that impressed with the Pilot Season issue so i haven't picked up any of the current omes.
    The writing and art are both leagues better than the Pilot Season issue, but I can see how it would have caused some folks to not like it.

I'll pick up the trade when it's released. I'm a big fan of Top Cow books. My budget is just a bit stretched at the moment.

BANNED

Really dig this comic and I know I'm gonna miss it when it's ended

BANNED

Just read issue #1. I was a bit taken-a-back by the relevancy to today's headlines. The main character isn't a hero or i cannot make that determination yet.

The book reads like Iceberg Slims treatise on pimpin.

What is Destiny's endgame? To become a crimelord? Is she on a revenge quest? I am interested enough to see where it goes.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Ultimately, I'm reading this comic, but I'm not impressed. There's no real character to root for or care about since they are all scumbags and jackasses in their own way. The comic tries to shine a better light on the people in the suburbs, but honestly, considering the gang members and what they are known for... yeah, not buying the fact I should feel for them. Not helped is that Destiny is pretty bad herself and is equally reprehensible as the people she is fighting against.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Ultimately, I'm reading this comic, but I'm not impressed. There's no real character to root for or care about since they are all scumbags and jackasses in their own way. The comic tries to shine a better light on the people in the suburbs, but honestly, considering the gang members and what they are known for... yeah, not buying the fact I should feel for them. Not helped is that Destiny is pretty bad herself and is equally reprehensible as the people she is fighting against.
    Considering that in interviews, the creators (or, at least, the artist) have said that Destiny is a villain knows it... This is a matter of grey and gray morality. So to speak.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    Considering that in interviews, the creators (or, at least, the artist) have said that Destiny is a villain knows it... This is a matter of grey and gray morality. So to speak.
    Well im glad I went in blind. because it was a complete shock to me.

Reminds me of Irredeemable by Mark Waid in so far as a comic from a darker point of view.

BANNED

Hmmm, we/SZ lyk wats being sadi abt dis mini-series. We/SZ pik-it up.

Quote Originally Posted by manatree View Post
    Ditto. The main character should have died of her own stupidity in the first few pages of the pilot issue. She only survived due to plot armor, and that rather undermined the premise of the book for me. I didn't have any interest after that.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 09-04-2014 at 09:36 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by deborahrjackson View Post
    Wow..Great idea for comic.One thing that might it better would be if America built a huge border wall around this newly independent gangster country and didn't let any of them into the US ever again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by deborahrjackson View Post
    Wow..Great idea for comic.One thing that might it better would be if America built a huge border wall around this newly independent gangster country and didn't let any of them into the US ever again.
    America already has them. They're called ghetto's.

I have the first two issues but I've only read the first. I'm waiting to get all five and read them all together.

First issue was great. It has that feeling like the whole world is going to hell.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Just finished reading the trade pprback, thanks to my wonderful, wonderful public library, and I am impressed! And saddened how increasingly relevant to today's U.S. American social situation it is. Sorry to've missed it as it was published, glad to've had the chance to read it now. Definitely one I'm looking to buy for my own.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet