Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

There’s not a specific corner of DC that I dislike. I think a good story can be told in almost any setting. I’ve never had any interest in Amythyst and Gemworld, but it doesn’t mean I hate the whole magic/fantasy side of the DCU.

As a character, I really don’t like Firestorm. He has the power of a god and can turn oxygen into a working nuke. The only way to make the character work is by keeping Ronnie dumb. Which really makes him a weak character. But I still like the DC super science and molecular characters.

Jon Kent as Superman? Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I can't stand Constantine, for some reason, and I really have no idea why. I've never read any of his stuff, but I have watched stuff with him in it, like that Justice League Dark: Apocolips War movie. The character just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Legion of Superheroes: Don't care.

Lobo: Don't care.

Wonder Woman: Don't care anymore. I tried reading her stuff in The New 52 but I didn't like the story or the art, so I stopped reading it.

Superman: Don't care anymore. I used to collect his books back in the early 90's during the whole "Triangle" period (where you knew which issue to read next). I liked those stories from that time period. I remember one Action Comics cover where Superman was holding open the mouth of a dinosaur. Good stuff.

Batman: Don't care about his comics anymore. I used to collect his books during the Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle era because I loved Breyfogle's art.

Cyborg: I've never been drawn to the character at all.

Damien Wayne: No, just no.

Harley Quinn: No, just no, Part II

Green Arrow: I just can't get behind a dude who shoots arrows all day, even if some of those arrows are trick arrows or arrows designed to do different things when they hit you. It's the same reason why I've never felt the need to read about Marvel's Hawkeye character.

The New Gods: I don't worship them, as I've never felt the need to read any of their stuff.

Shazam: Nope. I did watch his movie, though, which was alright.
    So basically you hate DC

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Aw, dude. You're killing me. Westerns rule and I'm an absolute schmuck for a good love story.
    I guess I can clarify; I'm ok with romance in the context of other types of stories - but it's gotta be in support of a bigger picture. Love me some Ollie/Dinah, Clark/Lois, Katar/Shayera, et al.

Probably should've included war comics in my OP.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

The JSA and any legacy heavy franchise.

Anything Batman related. It saves me a lot of time and money.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Legion Of Superheroes and most of their Vertigo stuff back in the day.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I steer clear from everything Harley related (comic book wise. The animated show was BRILLIANT)
    I find myself more falling out of love with characters over the years more than having no interest.

The Bat-verse no longer interests me. Nor the Super-verse.
    I stuck with the Justice League till New 52 but realised it wasn't my cup of tea anymore.
    I gave up on the Legion in the early 2000s and the GL-verse when Johns wrapped up his tenure.

I find ANY genre is worth a read if it's well written.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    That's because DC focuses primarily on Lanterns or the New Gods instead of the Vega System, Tamaran, Thanagar, the Dark Stars, Omega Men, Cithadel, Dominators, Psions, LEGION, all of whom are left collecting dust. One reason I'm enjoying the current GL and some of Tom King's stuff is that they are finally focusing on those areas.
    I find the LEGION/Omega Men stuff way more interesting than Green Lantern. I just find the GLs to be underpowered and underdeveloped, it's like you have so many of them, but only a few gets real spotlight. Whereas in Omega Men or LOSH, everyone gets some shine and it's spread equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah. I love me some Dr. Fate, or some Etrigan, or even some Amethyst (in her own world/setting, anyway), but once there's a team of magical folk together, it gets weird, because they are all always inconsistently portrayed, and when they're in a pack, it gets even harder to figure out whether Phantom Stranger is more or less a magic boss than Etrigan or Dr. Fate, or whatever. In all of their cases, I love them either as part of another group, like Sargon on the All-Stars, or White Witch/Dragonmage/Glorith on the Legion, but don't want them in a group. Magicians are like powerful spices. Too many strong competing flavors all at once, and it's blech.

As for genres I don't care for, seconding Westerns and Romance, and also some comedic books. I enjoy some offbeat stuff with the Inferior Five, for instance, as long as it's kept well away from more serious characters and plots, but I can't stand Ambush Bug or Lobo, who seem to exist to make other characters look foolish or bad. Funny I like. Mocking, not so much.
    I think Phantom Stranger is just observer and giving clues, rarely taking active action unless when he feel needed. Etrigan only bossing with his Hellish minions. Dr. Fate (especially Nabu) kinda same like Phantom Stranger. It usually Zatanna as the operational leader on the field. So the highest command is arguably fall to Phantom Stranger or Dr. Fate and then they focus on the biggest threat, while Zatanna organizing at the field
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]110556
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legion of Superheroes and Freedom Fighters. I feel the likes of Dawnstar, Tyroc, Wildfire, Black Condor and Phantom Lady are being wasted in those franchises. They should join the mainline present day.

Sidekicks, all of them. One generation is fine or to tolerable but DC has just gone over board recently. They use this concept to fix their diversity problem instead of actually investing in original creations

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Legion of Superheroes and Freedom Fighters. I feel the likes of Dawnstar, Tyroc, Wildfire, Black Condor and Phantom Lady are being wasted in those franchises. They should join the mainline present day.

Sidekicks, all of them. One generation is fine or to tolerable but DC has just gone over board recently. They use this concept to fix their diversity problem instead of actually investing in original creations
    There are a lot of interesting characters in the legion but they don't get a chance to do much.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I guess I can clarify; I'm ok with romance in the context of other types of stories - but it's gotta be in support of a bigger picture. Love me some Ollie/Dinah, Clark/Lois, Katar/Shayera, et al.

Probably should've included war comics in my OP.
    I can dig it, but never ask me for my pitches for just about any character.

Not a Sgt. Rock guy, huh?

Incredible Member

Green Lanterns for me, although I'll definitely hop on for a creator I like, and generally I do like the Guy Gardner character. But yeah, too much green for me, aesthetically. I just can't get into all that green and the aliens and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I can dig it, but never ask me for my pitches for just about any character.

Not a Sgt. Rock guy, huh?
    I'll take Millie the Model over Sgt. Rock...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Teenage superhero comics. (Robin, Young Justice) per example.

I know they are necessary to attract young readers, but I'm pretty much sure most people are not into them when they pass a certain age.

Outside of that, big crossover events.

I've always resented the abrupt intrusion of a new storyline into a comic because the writer has to accomodate a crossover event. I think it ruined the last Hawkman run. (I really could care less about the Joker and how he infected half the DCU)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I've always resented the abrupt intrusion of a new storyline into a comic because the writer has to accommodate a crossover event. I think it ruined the last Hawkman run. (I really could care less about the Joker and how he infected half the DCU)
    You must be perpetually resentful!

But seriously, I do agree. That "Infected" bullsh*t killed the momentum of Venditti's Hawkman, almost to the point I wanted to drop it - and I think many people did. They did a great job of rebounding, but it was too late at that point I think.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009