Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Pretty much anything Company Crossover/huge Event related.

I do my best to stay away from large scale events. Other than that I don't really care for the Hawks or Adam Strange.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Green Lantern... maybe that's because the other spectrum colors are still so underdeveloped and not used properly, and I am not as interested in just the Green Lanterns to keep following their adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Pretty much anything Company Crossover/huge Event related.
    Ooh, great choice. I agree. I know they sell well, but I'm at the point that I actively avoid Events. Not saying I won't ever read any, but it would take a lot of good word of mouth from those I share tastes with to make me do so.

Seconding all mentions of Harley Quinn. Only character I’ll drop a book if she so much as guest stars in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    …it would take a lot of good word of mouth from those I share tastes with to make me do so.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Seconding all mentions of Harley Quinn. Only character I’ll drop a book if she so much as guest stars in it.
    I don't drop books, but I do skip issues. I am also generally wary of any story featuring Deathstroke, since they long ago decided to say he was honorable or whatnot. Though that's typically more an issue with older things. I just skip any known villain/hero team ups except maybe Catwoman or Trickster (I can pretend she's still the non-killer she was introduced in that couldn't get the respect of other villains, and while I like the nastier Flash rogues of pre-COIE, I gotta admit to a soft spot for the semi reformed Trickster of a certain era).

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Uh, I do the same. In my DC universe she doesn’t exist.

I don't have interest in the Magic realm of DC, but i like some magical characters.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Constantine. Just don't care for him. The magic side of DC got really boring to me the minute he reared his head in the mainline comics. I agree with John Venus. He steals all the attention and I just don't care. I miss when the magic side of DC didn't just consist of Constantine having to save the day.

Flash. I like Wally, Jessie Quick, XS, Jay, and Impulse but don't care at all for the Speed Force or the Flash's villains.

War comics
    Actually, I like what’s going on with justice league dark at the moment; Jason blood is getting center stage instead of the demon, and I need to reacquaint myself with Ragman. Don’t understand the appeal of detective chimp, though.

Astonishing Member

any of that Bendis street level Leviathan stuff

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The future, because we'll never reach it
    Alternate future, because it's even more unreachable
    Dark future, because we'll never reach it AND it's been done to death.
    Likewise alternate dimensions

Mainly though it's because there's enough to keep up in the present that my brain has no capacity for the alternates

So even just outer space can count

So unless the present heroes or the heroes where the story mainly take place visit those alternate time and spaces, I'm not interested

The past is fine because it's building foundation or reveal on the present, like it's the history of the world and characters

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Legion of Superheroes: I loved their show as a kid but I never could get into them in the comics. I love Tyroc tho #Justice4Tyroc
    Can relate. I also loved the show back then. The Direct-to-DVD/Streaming movie "Justice League: Trapped in Time" was also super fun with its take on Karate Kid and Dawn Star, and I wish there was a sequel that the stinger implied there could be. And I was actually digging and getting to Brian Bendis' take as well.

But The Legion of Superheroes is notoriously gatekept a micro-fandom, such that there's no room for any takes or discussion or expression of fondness for anything that isn't the fandom-approved one. And there doesn't seem to be any form of real consensus divergence. And that's a huge turnoff. It makes you not even want to be bothered, which is largely the case for me.

Amazing Member

For me personally...

Teens/Young Justice/etc. Although I watched the Teen Titans series as a kid, I can't stand the teen settings anymore. I don't mind teenage characters, or kids for that matter, but I don't like high school drama and all that mess, even if it isn't a "normal school", or is purely done in Superhero format. I'm an adult, I stick to soap opera drama .

Flash I've never liked any incarnation of the Flash, I can't put a finger on why. It always bothered me a bit, because I love everyone else out of the "main" DC lot, so I always feel like I'm missing out.

JSA/Legion Big teams like this bore me, because characters just don't have a chance to really make a splash. It gets complicated though- I've always loved Power Girl, but pretty much everybody else from the JSA except Star Girl either bore me, or just don't get enough out of them to find anything I care about.

Was never a big Legion fan at all. And some of the more grounded war comics, like Sgt Rock, never did it for me. Now Creature Commandos and whatnot, I can get behind.

Also, the grittier/more badass a character is, the less I care about them. I like Batman fine, but I can't read things like Deathstroke or Midnighter...they just kind of make me roll my eyes.