Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! Peter Milligan's run on X-Force/X-Statix is proof of that!

I'm not as familiar with this comic

I have little to no interest in Iron Man, Punisher, and Daredevil(he has some great stories just not a fan of the character).

I forgot to mention Inhumans and Eternals, 0 interest.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Like I said in the dc forum, I'm not really interested in the cosmic side of marvel. I've started reading guardians of the galaxy, but there are already too many characters for me to keep track of. Venom has always been a hard one for me because of it's overall premise. I started to get interested when the symbiote and Eddie started to be a force for good, but then that had to screw that up by tying him into the cosmic side of marvel. X-men was once one of my favorites, until it got too big for it's britches. Way too many characters again. Gonna pick up the new series, but once again, the mutants can't catch a break. Deadpool just bugs me in general. As for the eternals and inhumans, we'll, kirby's cosmic world building I just can't follow, and there's only a couple of Inhumans I actually like. Spider man I can only take for so long before I get tired of the never ending crap fest his life seems to devolve to.
    Last edited by protege; 06-15-2021 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    This right here. Reading the X-Men was depressing. Every future bleak, no hope for anyone.
    That's kind of the way I feel about batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I kinda agree. I like the idea of Attilan, but when every story set there seems to be about the Royal Family and something-something Maximus, it gets old. Same for the Eternals, as their own stories seem to be all internal bickering/Deviants/Celestials based, and not really ever veer from those rails.

At least when Crystal and Sersi were Avengers, things got mixed up, and I kind of want to see other Inhumans and Eternals get out there. Karnak and Gorgon getting involved with the Heroes for Hire, for instance, or Phastos or Ikaris as an Avenger.
    I Kati's is too much like Thor: gorgon I'd love to see on a team, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I'm not as familiar with this comic
    Oops! My apologies, Mik. You mentioned something about "mutant celebrities", and it reminded me of Milligan's work...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Oops! My apologies, Mik. You mentioned something about "mutant celebrities", and it reminded me of Milligan's work...

No, it's ok, you don't have to apologize . I was just thinking out loud about ideas for the X-Men. I think they were trying ideas like that in the early 2000s if I'm not mistaken (it's been a while), with mutants forming their own subculture while operating alongside non-mutants

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Like I said in the dc forum, I'm not really interested in the cosmic side of marvel. I've started reading guardians of the galaxy, but there are already too many characters for me to keep track of. Venom has always been a hard one for me because of it's overall premise.
    I think it matters a lot about the era, the writer… When I was little, I read some issues about Adam Warlock and a quest in space. It didn’t matter I didn’t know the characters, it was still pleasant… Maybe authors before knew how to write compelling stories or cared about new readers…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

One could even trace it back to Disassembled.
    Now that you mention it, yes. Additionally, if you were to browse the X-Men forums after that, there was this crazy hatred for Wanda. There's still a lot of that lingering. The Children's Crusade was supposed to fix that somewhat but I don't think it ended up helping. I think the anti Wanda stuff has died down but that's only because she doesn't really appear much lately. Yet she had this hugely successful adaptation of her story in Wandavision. It was the most watched TV series in the world while it was on.

I think the Darkhold event will be the first major appearance she's had for about a year unless I am forgetting something.

I liked the idea of Uncanny Avengers, with mutants and n
    non-mutants working together. Maybe they should try that again

As for Namor, isn't he much more closely connected to Avengers and F4 anyway?
    Yes he is but not lately. But it's been mostly forgotten that he was on the Avengers for a while. He's been appearing with the X-Men mostly for the past 5 years or so. Some years before that Marvel gave him this title of "the First Mutant" to gain some cred with X-Men fans I suppose.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-15-2021 at 09:55 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Now that you mention it, yes. Additionally, if you were to browse the X-Men forums after that, there was this crazy hatred for Wanda. There's still a lot of that lingering. The Children's Crusade was supposed to fix that somewhat but I don't think it ended up helping. I think the anti Wanda stuff has died down but that's only because she doesn't really appear much lately. Yet she had this hugely successful adaptation of her story in Wandavision. It was the most watched TV series in the world while it was on.

I think the Darkhold event will be the first major appearance she's had for about a year unless I am forgetting something.

Yes he is but not lately. But it's been mostly forgotten that he was on the Avengers for a while. He's been appearing with the X-Men mostly for the past 5 years or so. Some years before that Marvel gave him this title of "the First Mutant" to gain some cred with X-Men fans I suppose.
    I know the X-comics still go with all that pretender nonsense but it seems weird for Marvel Comics to blame a character they assassinated in order to keep persecuting other characters

I'm not a huge Namor fan tbh. I think he's a jerk and I don't even get why he or Aquaman don't actually have water based powers. I know he's the first mutant but I never really associated him with them that much.

Ultimate Member

I know the X-comics still go with all that pretender nonsense but it seems weird for Marvel Comics to blame a character they assassinated in order to keep persecuting other characters

I'm not a huge Namor fan tbh. I think he's a jerk and I don't even get why he or Aquaman don't actually have water based powers. I know he's the first mutant but I never really associated him with them that much.
    Yeah, I'm not a huge Namor fan in recent times.

I actually preferred his depiction back in the day, he was hot tempered and aggressive but he had a nobility and almost always stood for what's right.

Modern writers seem to struggle with anti-heroes, they almost always seem to turn them into villains.

The Scarlet Witch thing is just bizarre. The writers (and some fans) are treating her like she's a real person when in fact it was creators that had her do the stuff she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

That's only because Darkhold is 15 months later than intended due to COVID. She has appeared in Strange Academy in the meantime, and also cameoed in Captain Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a huge Namor fan in recent times.

I actually preferred his depiction back in the day, he was hot tempered and aggressive but he had a nobility and almost always stood for what's right.

Modern writers seem to struggle with anti-heroes, they almost always seem to turn them into villains.

The Scarlet Witch thing is just bizarre. The writers (and some fans) are treating her like she's a real person when in fact it was creators that had her do the stuff she did.
    Yeah, Marvel changed her character to use to depower the mutants. So complaining about her as if she did it in real life comes off as odd. It's one thing to dislike a character for how they're portrayed, like Namor, but this is something else

Namor just comes off as combative for no reason.

Never was much of a fan of the street level characters. Always prefered the Avengers and Cosmic side of things. Don't read much current Marvel nowadays, but still check tghose books from time to time (Avengers and GotG mostly). Always liked the oddball teams. Although never my favorites, I used to like a lot many mutant titles. Ever since Schism, I completly lost the desire to read them (Cyclops, the terrorist and Prof Wolvie? Seriously? Give me a break). Then came Bendis (who has kept me away from some of my favorite books), and now we have the never ending mutants living in their own island and a huge event built around a gala party and who can outstyle who. Sorry, guess that's it for me.

Peace