Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Fantastic Four is something I never liked and can't seem to get into despite liking other space exploration media like Star Trek. I don't like any of the main characters except villains like Doom, and even then he's a bit over the top at times

I dropped off the mainline X-Men books because the whole mutant persecution doesn't make sense to me anymore, or at least how it's being done, especially in a modern world where minority heroes can tell their own experiences, and I don't really get into Krakoa. I read some of the side X-Me books

I think it's good Marvel is making and supporting younger, newer heroes but teen drama isn't always something I personally enjoy. I still check them out at times because I like some of them.

I also don't dislike street levelers but I feel they might be stuck in the idea of crime being everywhere on the streets when that's less true nowadays, at least from what I've heard. I like Spider-Man a lot but he seems to be trapped in time.
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 06-15-2021 at 08:36 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Some years back when I quit comics. When I went back to picking up a few titles I could never get back into the X-Men. Never got into Punisher, Venom, Deadpool, Wolverine. I haven't read the Avengers in several years now. May try again it they get a change in the creative team. Jason Aaron makes me actually miss Bendis.
    I had quit comics for about 23 years. I was a big X-Men fan when I left and it was one of the titles I picked up when I returned, but wasn't really able to get back into, I think there was just too much that had happened, too much had changed in the intervening years, and that made it really difficult to just pick up where I'd left off. I do kind of keep up with what's going on, since the X-Men include a number of my favorite characters, but I have little interest in picking up any of the books.

Also, I've never been big on street level characters.
    Last edited by Astral Disaster; 06-15-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

I've honestly gotten bored of the Avengers. I'm mostly a solo hero kinda guy.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    I had quit comics for about 23 years. I was a big X-Men fan when I left and it was one of the titles I picked up when I returned, but wasn't really able to get back into, I think there was just too much that had happened, too much had changed in the intervening years, and that made it really difficult to just pick up where I'd left off. I do kind of keep up with what's going on, since the X-Men include a number of my favorite characters, but I have little interest in picking up any of the books.

Also, I've never been big on street level characters.

I think another reason I dropped the X-Men was because it was like mutant persecution became their stock and trade....Mutant Massacre, Mutant Decimation, etc. I agree with Mik 's post. In today's world it makes less and less sense. They would all have reality shows by now , posting on Tik Tok, etc.

X-Men. Lost interest 20 years ago and still don't find it compelling anymore.

I think another reason I dropped the X-Men was because it was like mutant persecution became their stock and trade....Mutant Massacre, Mutant Decimation, etc. I agree with Mik 's post. In today's world it makes less and less sense. They would all have reality shows by now , posting on Tik Tok, etc.
    This right here. Reading the X-Men was depressing. Every future bleak, no hope for anyone.

Ultimate Member

Haha, I hadn't thought of that exactly, but I do think mutants would have more of a mixed reception than just outright being hated. Some might be celebrities and others might be government employed agents. Plus I don't really see a lot of intersectionality with how actual minorities deal with prejudice despite X-Men being such a diverse comic book

For me, part of the appeal of the X-Men was that they had a family atmosphere, which was lost as the team grew, and that they were underestimated underdogs, which changed mid-eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    For me, part of the appeal of the X-Men was that they had a family atmosphere, which was lost as the team grew, and that they were underestimated underdogs, which changed mid-eighties.
    There seemed to me to be more of a variety of plots with Claremont's writing in the 80s...The X-Men going off into outer space and meeting the Shi-ar, Storm tangling with Doctor Doom, stories with the Brood, etc.

There seemed to me to be more of a variety of plots with Claremont's writing in the 80s...The X-Men going off into outer space and meeting the Shi-ar, Storm tangling with Doctor Doom, stories with the Brood, etc.
    Some many things happened: rows, adventures, discoveries… Of course, you grow fond of characters, but what matters is the quality of writing. And the X-men were good people at heart: they may have been exceptional, it didn’t go to their head.

Today, it looks more like navel-gazing and posturing. So pompous dialogues…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Ultimate Member

Stuff I'd like to see in the MCU instead of just "mutant vs non-mutant"

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Stuff I'd like to see in the MCU instead of just "mutant vs non-mutant"
    I was hoping to see more of that with Hickman....maybe even a crossover with the Fantastic Four. I just became disinterested with his run after a while. There was just the X-Men/Fantastic Four mini where Zdarsky(very disappointed in him) had the FF acting OOC if you ask me.

Ultimate Member

I was hoping to see more of that with Hickman....maybe even a crossover with the Fantastic Four. I just became disinterested with his run after a while. There was just the X-Men/Fantastic Four mini where Zdarsky(very disappointed in him) had the FF acting OOC if you ask me.
    Oh, how were the FF acting OOC? I haven't read that.

I agree with your general point though

Isn't that SOP in a mutant/non-mutant story? In just about any X story involving Avengers, Captain America is a fascist home-boy and Iron Man is a mustache twirling douche.

Also, what happened to the X-Men's human friends? All but forgotten. The topper was making Moira a mutant.

Astonishing Member

Marvel Cosmic and the Fantastic Four.